Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw the lighting section on Gadget's page: Light Bar Lens Swap

What, if anything upgraded above stock, is everyone running on their bikes? I have the OEM lightbar as well but would like a brighter headlight at least, not to mention a brighter brakelight bulb, if possible.

Admittedly, I have NO electrical aptitude, so please keep suggestions as simple as possible. Something from the "Upgrading your Nomads Lighting for Dummies" book, preferrably!

:oops:
Daryl

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
I put a headlight modulator on as well a modulator on the brake light that will flash three times and then remain on until you release the brake. Think both are good safety measures.

·
Vulcan 900 Classic
103 Posts
what is a headlight modulator?

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
A head light modulator causes the headlight to flash continuously. It really helps for others to see you comming. Of course they have a light sensor which prevents them from blinking at night.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've ridden behind bikes with the "modulator" on them with the flashing brakelights, etc. Personally, I think I'd prefer just having a brighter light to warn people behind me that I'm braking. I found myself "observing" the flash of the modulator rather than "responding" to it as a warning that the bike in front of me is braking. I got used to it of course during the ride, but it's not what my brain was used to seeing from another vehicle.

I do like the flashing modulator on the headlight though. It really gets your attention (from a safety standpoint) as on-coming traffic because it gets your attention, wondering "what the heck is coming toward me"???

DS

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the headlight, I was thinking more along the lines of, "which one is best: ice, wave or trillient" for a lamp replacement, and which bulb is best in that particular lamp"?

Thanks,
DS:confused:
PRIZM LIGHTS from Tucker Rocky Motorcycle 2004

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
The headlight bulb can be replaced with a brighter bulb. I've used the Wagner BP1210/H4, as have several others, with very good results. I can tell you that it is significantly brighter than stock. The only point to note is that it uses most of the amperage capacity of the circuit. You should not add any other load to that circuit with this bulb in use, you will risk blowing the fuse.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
The headlight bulb can be replaced with a brighter bulb. I've used the Wagner BP1210/H4, as have several others, with very good results. I can tell you that it is significantly brighter than stock. The only point to note is that it uses most of the amperage capacity of the circuit. You should not add any other load to that circuit with this bulb in use, you will risk blowing the fuse.
+1.

If your lightbar was installed with a relay on the accessory circuit, then you're good to go. If it was simply tapped into the headlight circuit itself, then you're already pushing your luck.

With the lightbar isolated, I recently upgraded mine to standard 55w bulbs when one blew and I couldn't find the 35w replacement. It's been working fine for over a month now.

For the brake light, I run both a 2357 and the modulator built into the Kury Run-Turn-Brake controller. I also converted the turn signal lenses to red Kury "Deep Dish" bezels, so I now have 3 brake lights and 3 running lights in back. I also added some flexible LED strips to the sides and rear of my luggage rack, wired to the turn signals (so they double as running lights and brake lights).
The modulator can be disabled, but it's not on constantly... it flashes the brake lights 3 times and then they come on solid so they are not confused with emergency flashers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts