Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I had a Muzzy 2-1 on my 1990 ex, liked it alot but now that I have the Sarachu slip-on cans on my newer 2002, I can say that they sounds alot like the Muzzy but does not tend to scream as much at higher RPM than the Muzzy. Rejeted I made just as much horsepower as the older bike (with the Muzzy) on the dyno at Motion Yamaha here in Dallas.

List of mods to my bike:

Woodcraft clip-ons
K&N airfilter
LockhartPhillips front turnsignals
ClearAlternatives brake lens
Superbright red LED brake lights
Rear fender hack
Homemade license plate bracket
Sarachu slip-ons
GSXR adjustable dogbones (raise backend)
Polished rims
Kenda 110/70 140/70 tires
H4 Eiko Super Blue headlight
Mobil 15w50 motor oil

Hope you like my baby.....

·
Registered
412 Posts
Like it very much! :D

Love the Sarachu slip-ons. Are they very loud? My neighbor’s bedroom window is right by my garage. I go in at 5am in the morning and do not want to get them too upset waking them up that early.

Where did you get the rims polished? I really like the look.

Been looking at the Clear Alternatives lens and LED’s myself. Do you think they make that much difference?

As you can tell with all the questions I like what you have done.

Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not loud, no

I get up at 3:30 and leave 4:00am in the morning on my bike (no car :cry: ) 7 days a week (work at southern maid donuts) and the pipes are not loud enough to wake up my neighbors. They sound awesome though, low rumble to a superbike growl at 6 grand and up. Not to a scream like on my older Muzzy pipe. They are quieter than other aftermarket options because of two pipes baffling instead of one big can single baffle...... make sense?

Rims are easy to polish, get two cans of Aircraft paint stripper from AutoZone and couple pads you use to scrub dishes with and about 4 hours worth of work. You dont have to mask up the middle strip because it doesnt dissolve and bubble up like the smooth outer flanges..... make sure you get someone to break your beads for you so you can push your tire out of the way to polish the edges without melting your tires.

LEDs are alot brighter, and at night look like red eyes or an r1 at night with the clear lens. I'll post pic when I can

·
Registered
70 Posts
i found something out years ago. as long as its a short loud noise, and you dont leave your engine running very long, neighbors dont really get upset, cause they usually go right back to sleep, or take a pee then go to sleep, and forget all about it in the morning.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LEDs and Clear lens......

The leds look yellow because of the camera trust me they are like an extreme red or something, hense the "super bright led" moniker. This picture does not give it justice of how it looks at night.... it looks really wicked.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Very Nice Looking Bike!!!! 8) 8)
I was in cyclegear here in Phoenix yesterday (getting oil/filter) and talking to the manager about the diff of going slip-ons and 2-n-1....I have decided to do slip ons.....and seeing yours has helped me get a good idea of what to get and what it looks like....thanks for the inspiration!!
I also bought a bracket and smaller signal lights for the rear....going to knock out the rear fender.

So today I am....
changing oil
eliminating the rear fender and installing new turn singnals rear/front

I am a busy girl today!!!
:wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I personally like...

For me dual pipes screams "VINTAGE!!!" and thats what I like. Don't kid youself guys this is an 80s bike and be proud of it!

I go to Sonic at Northwest Highway in Dallas every Thursday and all the mid generation guys (in their early 30s and mid 40s) tell me that they like how I keeped the dual pipe look, most of them grew up on an ex in their teens I guess...

I hope Kawasaki never discontinues making this overweight old goat...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The dogbones are......

The dogbones are from Brock Davidson Enterprises and are actually lowering links for the GSXR 600 97-00 and 750 96-99. They cost around $50? and are all aluminum http://stores.skipjack.com/brockracing/Detail.bok?no=82 . Even thought they are meant for lowering the GSXR they can be used on the ex to raise the back, outer hole lowers bike, middle hole you stay at the stock height, inner hole and you raise the back end. Here is a picture for you:

There is a small problem associated with raising the back though:

The chain rubs against the rubber chain guide, after about 3000miles some of the rubber has been eaten away but I notice no wear anymore, when I sit on the bike the chain goes just beside the rubber but without my weight its being pushed up a little..... I may adjust my preload someday to compress the shock a little more under load........ oh yeah also the bike leans over a bit more not enough to tip it over, be careful on those driveways if you do this mod! I wonder if Freakinout has this problem with his custom bones.... :?: (Hi Freakinout! I have been watching this forum and you closely for over a year now and finally have decided to join... your the inspiration for raising the backend of my bike. Also I like how your bike has progressed....)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nope not the same....

I wouldn't try those reason being, the holes in my dogbones have 1mm spacing in between, those you showed me have close to 1/4in spacing in between meaning that if you bought those to raise your bike, your back end would be higher than mine and you would be really rubbing the chain into the swingarm! :shock: This is assuming the middle mounting hole is relative to the one I'm using. Save some headaches by not buying a no name self made pair of dogbones, probably not even heat treated if it came straight from the CNC! LOL! If you can put down money for the ones I have, you'll have something that has been tried and shown to work alright. Now you could buy the ebay bones and they may not work Period! The measurements could be different to have the outermost hole be relative to the inner hole on the bones I have. I dunno. Be careful... (PS if your chain snaps and you snap yourself doing this mod don't come after me! I have warned you that this mod isn't perfect! Like I have said though I have yet to have something go wrong after 3000miles..... with my weight on the bike the chain seems fine....)

·
Registered
412 Posts
orbital5280, How loud are the Sarachu slip-ons?

I go into work at 5am in the morning and really don’t want my neighbors to form a lynch mob because I wake them up that early. Just wandering how they are at start up and low rpm’s? Can keep it down until I leave the neighborhood, then I don’t care. :D

Emailed Edgar about them, and sadly he is out right now. Said to keep in touch and he should have more in a few weeks.

Joe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
how it sounds?

The main forum I post at, a strictly kawasaki 500 forum
http://p220.ezboard.com/bkawasaki500forum
has a guy there that has posted a sarachu sound clip,

His name is HackManX, this is his site:

http://www.keycruncher.com/ex500/

This is the link for the sound clip:

http://keycruncher.com/ex500/Sqyler_Sarachu_pipes.wav

Trust me though at idle they aren't as loud as you think, I have yet to wake my parents or my neighbors 3:45 in the morning going to work, the baffling does a great job of dissipating the sound into a extreme low frequency (deep tone) at idle, very pleseant.

Send HackManX an email and thank him. He is the only guy that I know that took the time to organize info on the 500 into one website and make the above sound clip available.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
great links, only bad part is i emailed the guy that sells them and hes out and said it would be a few weeks before he gets any others.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Re: The dogbones are......

orbital5280 said:
oh yeah also the bike leans over a bit more not enough to tip it over, be careful on those driveways if you do this mod! I wonder if Freakinout has this problem with his custom bones.... :?: (Hi Freakinout! I have been watching this forum and you closely for over a year now and finally have decided to join... your the inspiration for raising the backend of my bike. Also I like how your bike has progressed....)
Mine leans over a bit more too, I'm trying to get a spare kickstand off of ebay right now to lengthen so I won't have issues with it anymore (rearsets + higher rear end)

Glad I was your inspiration, I'm just insane about modifying things to suit my needs. I have no problems with my shortened dogbones though, everything seems to be pefect on them. I did have to readjust my chain after I raised the rear though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am really liking the Woodcraft clip-ons Can you tell me more about them And show some more pictures of them. do you like them and are they worth the money.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Your ride looks great. Dual pipes look so classy. Love the sound of the pipes. Please talk about the clip-ons likes/dislikes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts