Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey friends - wanted to run this "Too good to be true" offer on a bike that my brother is considering but I think is a scam. A local private seller posted a 2004 Roadstar Midnight listed as excellant condition for $2900. on cycle trader. My brother contacted him by email and he said he just left for training camp in florida last friday and now has the bike in Florida - needs to sell quick because he is on his way to Iraq. He suggests my bro uses vehicletraderonline.com for the transaction which works this way - bro sends money western union to VTO, VTO holds money in trust until bro receives shipped bike and reviews for 10 days to accept or deny - if acepts, seller then gets paid - if deny, bike gets shipped back and bro gets money back 9maybe minus fees?). ANYONE MAKE A TRANSACTION LIKE THIS? Seems like a scam to me. Your input is appreciated!

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Definite scam. The payment method is the first big give away. Secondly, the convenient fact that he's out of state now. Here's another idea. See what branch he's supposedly in. To the best of my knowledge, the only military bases in FL are are Army Air and Naval Air. And I don't believe any staging happens there.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've seen a big warning somewhere shortly ... NEVER EVER Western Union !!

·
Not so Newbie
248 Posts
How many times has it been said "If it sounds to good to be true....."

It is possible that he owns the bike but is running out on the loan by going to Florida. Some states, called Non Title Holding States, leave the title in with the owner. You get the bike and the title and the escrow is released. Go register it and soon a repo man is at the door with legal ownership rights to the bank.

I did a quick check and Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota ,New York, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and Wisconsin are non title holding states.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I've never heard of VTO, but that doesn't mean it's not lagit. Why not contact Western Union to see if they offer such a service. If they do, it sounds like a pretty safe way to buy on line, and a much needed service.

D

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I've never heard of VTO, but that doesn't mean it's not lagit. Why not contact Western Union to see if they offer such a service. If they do, it sounds like a pretty safe way to buy on line, and a much needed service.

D
You need to read the other posts. Never send any money western union unless you personally know the recipient. Western Union is not offering any service - the "seller" is asking you to use an escrow service, an independent 3rd party that doesn't really exist. It is not LEGIT.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yep, never send $$ for no product (regardless of metod) particularly when the "seller" is unavailable.
SCAM

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
the "seller" is asking you to use an escrow service, an independent 3rd party that doesn't really exist. It is not LEGIT.
Actually, it does:
Vehicle Trader Online - Auto Escrow & Secure Vehicle Transaction Service

Now, that doesn't mean it's not a VERY ELABORATE scam, but escrow services have been used by people online for many years... not just for property and boats, but for hacked DirecTV cards and equipment and other "contraband".

BUT.... the title issue is a very valid concern.

I agree... do as much homework as possible, including attempting to verify the guy's enlisted status. It's quite possibly a very good deal. '04 RoadStar Midnight trade value is about $5500, I think new it was close to $15k. It seems like it's too low.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts

"Vehicle Trader Online. reserves the right to reject Your request for the Services for any reason or for no reason at all. All amounts paid by You in connection with the Services must be paid in advance, in U.S. Dollars and made by wire transfer, check, cashier's check or money order."

·
Registered
394 Posts
See what branch he's supposedly in. To the best of my knowledge, the only military bases in FL are are Army Air and Naval Air. And I don't believe any staging happens there.
I don't know about staging, but there are at least a dozen major military installations in Florida, not counting the Coast Guard.

Oh yeah, sounds like a scam to me too. I'd pass on it, rather than chance losing three grand.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
For a price like that he might want to take a trip to FL to see the bike himself.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Three years ago, a friend of mine wired $5,000 to a foreign address for a bike - Yamaha RoadStar 1700. It was a "Too good to be true deal" - and it was. He lost his money.:frown: It is a SCAM!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just google "vehicletraderonline.com" or "vehicletraderonline".

ALL you get are results for an expired domain name...NOTHING about transactions, etc...

WARNING...WARNING...WARNING...if you run a 'whois' on vehicletraderonline.com - you will find that it was JUST registered last week!

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
Never buy a vehicle via western union....scam

·
Barrett Motorcycle Repair
202 Posts
I agree with vulcan900 and Rich L if you're getting the bike for three grand i'd take the $2500.00 savings and either fill my truck up a couple of times or buy a plane or cheap route bus ticket and hopefully ride it back , it's not like there is nothing to do in Fla.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts