Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my scootwoks pully in the mail to day. Will work on the install tomarrow. Last week there was a thread that had directions with pitchers on how to install. could eneyone help me find it. I'll start to look for it now but with the number of threads it coul:d take some time . HELP ME Mr. Wizard!:)

·
Registered
282 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool test drive

Got the pulley on and was surprised at how easy it was to do no problems at all It was a balmy 38 degreas hear in western washington so I put on the snowmobile gear and took her for a test ride It was a real diferance. I was a little concerned what it would be like starting out in 1st. but it did'nt seam to be eney differance then before with the old pulley, I did notice a longer shift time between gears and at sixty mph it seemed that the moter was bearly cranking real smooth, going up a hill it seemed a loss of power from before but still had the ability to acelerate up the hill ( don't think that i would wan't to pass eney one on that hill purty good grade) did get it up to 75 mph and it was a much better feal ( did'nt feal like i needed to shift agian) SO FAR SO HAPPY:-D

·
Registered
282 Posts
Sounds good , I quess I will get one, too. But I'm a bit scared about shipping costs to Australia because of the weight of the pulley. But I will wait and see...

Cheers from Downunder

·
Registered
533 Posts
Road Runner.... where abouts do you live... you found a place where you could go 75.... must be in the boonies huh? just joking... glad to hear that you enjoy the pulley.....

·
T,J&R 4ever
1,369 Posts
you will enjoy it... you should not have any problem climbing hills don't be afraid to twist it open..

·
Biking Old Timer
445 Posts
Did the same,

Yesterday must have been the day for pulley installs. Took a very short time. Had to road test in the chill but who cares. The final speed I hit was 85 on a nice straight section of road with relatively new pavement. Smooth as silk all the way.
I have a question for the group, has anyone paid much attention to the difference in the weight of the Scootrwrks pulley compared to the stock one? I'm asking simply because it appears to have a slight flywheel effect, smoothing out the full range of rpms from idle all the way up. Just my observation. I really have to admit that I like the entire range of response from the bike after riding it about 40 miles. Really can't wait for spring now.
Ride safe everyone.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yesterday must have been the day for pulley installs. Took a very short time. Had to road test in the chill but who cares. The final speed I hit was 85 on a nice straight section of road with relatively new pavement. Smooth as silk all the way.
Whay means final speed ? Highest speed - absolute end ?
I've got mine just under 100 and that was comletely with all the stock ! on my speedo - I know that the speedo is off a few %.
So the pulley brings down the final speed then ?!

Cheers

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Whay means final speed ? Highest speed - absolute end ?
I've got mine just under 100 and that was comletely with all the stock ! on my speedo - I know that the speedo is off a few %.
So the pulley brings down the final speed then ?!

Cheers
The speedometer error was about 5mph low on mine at all speeds. After I put on the pulley, (I checked it with GPS) and it is about 2 mph low now. At 70 mph (with the pulley installed) your engine will be turning about 300 rpm less. I have never tried to find out how fast the 900 would go, but I'm sure it would hit 100 mph without much trouble. The pulley does seem to smooth out the engine (it is heaver than the stock pulley). All in all it was well worth the money.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I've been up to 97 on mine but I was going up a slight up-grade so it wasn't going to go any faster. Before I was 10° off so had to be doing 112 indicated to be breaking 100 and I've had it regularly to 115 highest 120 but that was slight down hill grade with the wind to my back. It's my gut feeling that flat out level and no wind the top speed of my bike is right in the lower 100's and that has not changed with the pulley. Wouldn't worry about passing up that grade, just drop it down to third gear and twist the throttle. You'll go through more fuel that way, but you'll also pull better. The Limiter stock should kick in around 94 mph. Should be in the groove uphill at 70-80.

·
Pinson, Alabama
416 Posts
This is what i want to know. If i put this pulley on, and i am cruising along at 65 mph with my wife on board. Total weight for both of us 270 lbs. If i come to a long hill with about 10 to 15 degrees rise topping out maybe at 20 percent, am i going to have to shift to 4th gear to pull. I think there is enough of you folks out their with the pulley to answer this. I am not interested in running 90mph just a nice confortable 65-70. Presently as you know the bike pulls well at those speeds but it would be nice to run around town in 4th gear up to 55 mph. Shifting into 5th at that speed concerns me with the ability to pull hills.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I go up such a hill every day. I don't have anyone that wants to go two up, but I weigh 278 nekked. Close to 300 with all my gear, helmet and backpack with gym clothes on. Why is it I can run 30 minutes a day and STILL am a plump man? Gotta take some weight off the knees. Ah well, it handles fine at 290 and going up that hill. Wonder where I could find the grade information of this stretch of highway. If you know it is I-635 in Kansas City, KS between Metropolitan Ave and Shawnee drive.

It's a fun road downhill, if you zoom in on the map, you'll see a bend halway down that distance, I believe the road even with the bend to the west is Shearer road. Anyways, in the winter when there's ice on the road, the cars get going down the highway at normal speeds, get to that bend and go right off the side. Tow truck drivers don't just like it, THEY LOVE IT!!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
So I have another question about the pulley. Do you really it is worth the time and money invested? Sure makes me think with all that has been said good & indifferent, that It might be just a gimmick to spend our money on!

·
Pinson, Alabama
416 Posts
OZ

I am going to agree with you for now. My wife and i want to leave Bham one week in May are June and tour through the north Georgia hills, maybe sneak into North Carolina. I am going to wait until after that ride to decide.

What a really need is some passenger footboards. Whose is smallest Kawasaki's are Cobra's

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
So I have another question about the pulley. Do you really it is worth the time and money invested? Sure makes me think with all that has been said good & indifferent, that It might be just a gimmick to spend our money on!
I don't buy "bling". What I put on my bike has some performance or riding comfort function. I would say if you are riding for any distance at all 75+ you will, as many have said on this forum, say that it is money well spent. It is no gimmick.

The other thing I would say is that mine was installed at 2,389 miles and I am now at 7500+ miles. It has helped make Interstate travel much more enjoyable. I can travel at 80mph (gps) all day (I have done it) and not have any concerns about vibration discomfort.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
It's worth it. It increased the torque between 60-90. Oh, it was no pig before, but it is more suited to the slab that I ride every day. I'd do it right after putting the engine gaurd on. Although I did it after putting the brake light kit, with backoff blinker, headlight modulator, Engine Gaurd, Strebel Nautilus and Bored pipes. I would put it ahead of everything save the Engine Gaurd. Maybe not before the brake lights.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I did some quick calculations on a spreadsheet and this is what I came up with using the 3 pulleys for the V2K from Scootworks: 33 front, 34 front, 70 rear.

Hope you guys can make it out. The green boxes are for input but I've worked out all six combinations. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
The right column shows the final %age speed increase for the same rpm.

Basically it's told me I want the 34 front for more top end speed (6.3%). I know I'll be sacrificing a little torque. Adding the 70 rear as well would give a combined total of 9.3%. That's overcompensates for the speedo error and more than double the outlay for a bit more increase. I don't need it.

Cheers
Lee

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts