Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Scootworks Riser Kit for the Mean Streak? What are your riding impressions of the risers and did you have to get an extended front brake hydraulic line? If so, what brand? Thanks in advance!

Bob

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Aren't familiar with them, but I had the Gen-Mars on the old MS. I had to reroute some of the lines and wiring inside the top triple tree. It wasn't that difficult, and was all that was required to give me the necassary slack.

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Carlo. Helps to know what I'm getting into with this thing. Looks to me like the brake line is going to be short even going behind the tree using a string line at least for a gauge. Scoots risers are a tad under 2" so that puts a strain on the brake line for sure.

Bet you are still in total awe of that new ride, eh? A thing of beauty!

Bob

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Thanks for the info, Carlo. Helps to know what I'm getting into with this thing. Looks to me like the brake line is going to be short even going behind the tree using a string line at least for a gauge. Scoots risers are a tad under 2" so that puts a strain on the brake line for sure.

Bet you are still in total awe of that new ride, eh? A thing of beauty!

Bob
Yeh, she grows on me more and more every ride.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Are you looking for added hight as well as placing the grips closer to you? Or are you just looking to have the grips closer?

·
Geek on Wheels
495 Posts
I've got them for mine, but haven't completed the install yet... you guessed it... front line is too short:(
I'm looking at a 2-line brake system for it, since they seem to be cheaper than the OEM 3-line replacement types. But it'll be a slow process, since I'm trying to not over-stimulate the economy at this point :biggrin:
For the 15 minutes they were on, they were great! I'm 5'10" and they felt a lot better just sitting on the bike.

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you looking for added hight as well as placing the grips closer to you? Or are you just looking to have the grips closer?
Sorry for the slow reply, just got home from work. Yes, I'm looking to raise the bars a bit and bring them back to me as well. Had both elbows operated on last year and the stock reach is a bit painful for me with extended arms on prolonged rides.

Bob

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got them for mine, but haven't completed the install yet... you guessed it... front line is too short:(
I'm looking at a 2-line brake system for it, since they seem to be cheaper than the OEM 3-line replacement types. But it'll be a slow process, since I'm trying to not over-stimulate the economy at this point :biggrin:
For the 15 minutes they were on, they were great! I'm 5'10" and they felt a lot better just sitting on the bike.
Thanks for your input, demon. I am very close to ordering them but would like to know what I'm in for first to make it work. I like how the brake line as well as the other wires and cables go in front of the tree. I'd like to retain that stock look and I was wondering if a Nomad front brake line is longer to enable this to happen? Thought maybe I'd go to the local dealer and measure his Nomad front line and compare it to the Meanie. If that works, it's a slick cure for me at least. Will let you know what I find out. Thanks again!

Bob

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeh, she grows on me more and more every ride.
Curious to know if you are planning on risers for extended trips or is the bike comfy enough as is? Also are you planning on throwing over some bags and doing two-up? I love this bike and the engine is one of the smoothest on the planet. Enjoyed your pics and was living the trailer ride home too. Cool stuff!

Bob

·
1,175 Posts
Sorry for the slow reply, just got home from work. Yes, I'm looking to raise the bars a bit and bring them back to me as well. Had both elbows operated on last year and the stock reach is a bit painful for me with extended arms on prolonged rides.

Bob
Okay. The reason i ask is cuz there are the risers made by Kewl Metal; one which bring the bars back toward you by 2 inches and positions the bars a tad lower, and one that brings em back 2 inches and up 1 inch. You can see em here:

2" KM-215 - Kewl Metal Risers - Mean Streak

2" +1" KM-270 - Kewl Metal Risers +1" - Mean Streak

·
Registered
573 Posts
Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for too. (The other ones put the bars up too high and I did not like that...but these are built to order.:-D

·
1,175 Posts
Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for too. (The other ones put the bars up too high and I did not like that...but these are built to order.:-D
Yeah, those kewls are definitely what i'm gonna go with. I personally dont like the look of the drag style bars on the meanie with standard risers.. just looks odd to me with the neck being so extended. They're a little more spendy than standard risers, but keeping the low sleek look of the drag bars is worth the extra bucks in my opinion. :cool:

·
Geek on Wheels
495 Posts
Thanks for your input, demon. I am very close to ordering them but would like to know what I'm in for first to make it work. I like how the brake line as well as the other wires and cables go in front of the tree. I'd like to retain that stock look and I was wondering if a Nomad front brake line is longer to enable this to happen? Thought maybe I'd go to the local dealer and measure his Nomad front line and compare it to the Meanie. If that works, it's a slick cure for me at least. Will let you know what I find out. Thanks again!

Bob
I know what you mean, I installed them and had to run the lines behind the tree to get the bars back on (and the front brake line was as tight as a guitar string). It was enough to get the bars on, sit on it, and then say to myself "this just ain't right"... with the brake line as tight as it was, and the throttle and clutch lines being almost too long to bind up when run behind the tree. I sent a message to user ImpactG since he put GenMar risers on his wife's (Mean Girl) Meanie a year or so ago, and had posted about possibly using some 1600 Classic lines, but no follow up about that was posted. Turns out that they're not quite long enough (at least the ones they got from the dealer) and they ended up getting some stainless ones through Phat.

You might as well plan on spending another $250 or so to replace all the lines :???: PhatPerformance.com has a decent enough deal on stainless clutch and throttle lines, and I found another one that'll make 2 line kits (one line up to the master cylinder from each caliper connecting with a single banjo bolt) for $75... Welcome to Halt Brake Lines.

Now I've just got to figure out how much of the economy I can stimulate at the moment :biggrin:

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Curious to know if you are planning on risers for extended trips or is the bike comfy enough as is? Also are you planning on throwing over some bags and doing two-up? I love this bike and the engine is one of the smoothest on the planet. Enjoyed your pics and was living the trailer ride home too. Cool stuff!

Bob
Bob,
I installed a set of heli risers yesterday. They only raise the bars 3/4" and bring them slightly closer to me, but the difference is certainly noticeable. So far the stock seat has given me no issues whatsoever. We rode all day last Saturday, and all Sunday afternoon and my butt didn't complain at all. I'll also likely order a new windshield, a Double Bubble one, and maybe down the road replace the stock pegs with a set of Buell ones (they fit with little or no modification and are 1" lower than stock)
We are ordering some soft saddlebgags for road trips. I'll use a tankbag and strap a duffle onto the rear seat and will be fine.

Obviously she isn't a true "sport-tourer" as compared to what else is out there....but I'm making her my sport tourer. :-D

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay. The reason i ask is cuz there are the risers made by Kewl Metal; one which bring the bars back toward you by 2 inches and positions the bars a tad lower, and one that brings em back 2 inches and up 1 inch. You can see em here:

2" KM-215 - Kewl Metal Risers - Mean Streak

2" +1" KM-270 - Kewl Metal Risers +1" - Mean Streak
This is awesome information, GreenDragon and thanks for sending this along. Definitely will check this all out. I do like the shape of those Kewl's too. Not sure if I actually want the bar much higher but would like them back a bit and looks like that one part will do it. Then there's the brake line to deal with too. Thanks again!
Bob

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Didn't intend to be so slow in replying, Carlo. Overlooked your reply and my bad! 3/4" rise for the clip-ons would definitely be noticeable. I backed off the nuts on the Meanie bars as far as I dared and stacked 3/8" of washers to raise the bar. I can feel only 3/8" rise too and my old elbows liked it better too. Going to pursue this riser thing some more.

I doubt you will ever have to replace that stock seat. Seems very comfy to me sitting on the bike. Having that double bubble shield and lowered pegs will really make the bike nice on longer trips too. With the luggage, definitely soft bags should do the trick. You guys will be set and the best part about all this is you can enjoy the power and smoothness of that motor at any speed. Good stuff!!

Bob

·
Minimizing the Regrets!
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know what you mean, I installed them and had to run the lines behind the tree to get the bars back on (and the front brake line was as tight as a guitar string). It was enough to get the bars on, sit on it, and then say to myself "this just ain't right"... with the brake line as tight as it was, and the throttle and clutch lines being almost too long to bind up when run behind the tree. I sent a message to user ImpactG since he put GenMar risers on his wife's (Mean Girl) Meanie a year or so ago, and had posted about possibly using some 1600 Classic lines, but no follow up about that was posted. Turns out that they're not quite long enough (at least the ones they got from the dealer) and they ended up getting some stainless ones through Phat.

You might as well plan on spending another $250 or so to replace all the lines :???: PhatPerformance.com has a decent enough deal on stainless clutch and throttle lines, and I found another one that'll make 2 line kits (one line up to the master cylinder from each caliper connecting with a single banjo bolt) for $75... Welcome to Halt Brake Lines.

Now I've just got to figure out how much of the economy I can stimulate at the moment :biggrin:
Demon 668, thank you for your reply as well and I apologize for not getting back sooner. Went to the local dealer and measured a lot of the front brake lines on various bikes there and the one that seemed like it would possibly work it the front brake line for the V2K Classic LT. Dealer said $100 for the line and 20% restocking if it didn't work out. This line is about 2-3 inches longer than the Meanie and bolts up similarly underneath the headlight.

I really want to raise the stock bars more than the 3/8" I have right now. I agree with you on the looks of the standard risers too. But there are some on meanriders.com that meanmachinist has made that are conical which could end up looking okay. Thanks for the link to the brake and throttle lines as well. Lots to mull over before pulling the trigger for sure!

Bob

·
Registered
336 Posts
I installed 2" KM-215 - Kewl Metal Risers - Mean Streak last weekend. I uninstalled them last weekend as well LOL. I tried installing one way and the bars go forward so I figured I installed them backwards LOL LOL BUT all the brake and throttle lines didn't need replacing. When I tried to install them the right way there was no way I could get all the lines hooked up. Personally I didn't like the added rise they put on the bars. And I'm not ready to change all my lines if I don't feel comfortable with the risers on :)

If anyone is interested, Ill sell them for $50.00 and you pay the shipping from Montreal, Canada. BTW they are 130$ retail. I can't return them bought them a year ago. So feel free to send me a PM!

·
1,175 Posts
I installed 2" KM-215 - Kewl Metal Risers - Mean Streak last weekend. I uninstalled them last weekend as well LOL. I tried installing one way and the bars go forward so I figured I installed them backwards LOL LOL BUT all the brake and throttle lines didn't need replacing. When I tried to install them the right way there was no way I could get all the lines hooked up. Personally I didn't like the added rise they put on the bars. And I'm not ready to change all my lines if I don't feel comfortable with the risers on :)

If anyone is interested, Ill sell them for $50.00 and you pay the shipping from Montreal, Canada. BTW they are 130$ retail. I can't return them bought them a year ago. So feel free to send me a PM!
I'll probly take em off your hands. PM'd you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts