Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
562 Posts
That is about the perfect size to put a bike on, it will work great. I scored a hell of a trailer on Craigslist this summer. I got a dual axle 7x12 utility trailer with new tires for $375. Had good wood deck but the fenders are a little wrinkled. Either way, works great.

I use an adjustable wheel chock from Harbor Freight, works great and it holds the bike up by itself while I tie it down.....cost about $50 if I remember right.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That is about the perfect size to put a bike on, it will work great. I scored a hell of a trailer on Craigslist this summer. I got a dual axle 7x12 utility trailer with new tires for $375. Had good wood deck but the fenders are a little wrinkled. Either way, works great.

I use an adjustable wheel chock from Harbor Freight, works great and it holds the bike up by itself while I tie it down.....cost about $50 if I remember right.
I've already been looking. I found some here in town for about the same price. I'll be picking some up after the first of the year.

Late to the party again ... the posting was removed by the owner.

Good luck with it Dave.
Aw, you missed a great ad. There was a photo of it featuring naked, dancing women leaping through a ring of fire and everything....
Yeah, it was really great pictures! LOL

I'm planning to take before and after photos so you can see how great I am at my work! :-D

·
1600 Nomad
147 Posts
trailers

Just a comment for "cruiser" guys looking to add a trailer to their inventory.

I've had "open air" trailers, and have moved on to an enclosed trailer. Cleaning the bike after storms and such is a pita. You can't tow with a cover on, it will damage your finishes.

An enclosed trailer purchased used will usually hold it's value.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
562 Posts
Just a comment for "cruiser" guys looking to add a trailer to their inventory.

I've had "open air" trailers, and have moved on to an enclosed trailer. Cleaning the bike after storms and such is a pita. You can't tow with a cover on, it will damage your finishes.

An enclosed trailer purchased used will usually hold it's value.
I actually went the other way. We used the enclosed trailer to pull 3 or 4 bikes of ours and friends to Sturgis (my grandpa wanted to go, hes in his 70s and didnt want to ride). Despite our best tie down attempts one came loose (it happens). Well we checked the trailer a couple times but it just worked out that this happened between checks.....by the time we figured it out the bike was fairly beaten up. With an open trailer we would have noticed far sooner, likely right when it happened.

If I pulled enough in bad weather Im sure that would outweigh the possibility of a freak occurrence (and not noticing) but I dont really. If I do start I may weld up a front guard piece, Ive seen plenty of trailers like that.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
i wouldn't mind having one to transport my bike to and from where I store it. However, I'd be looking at $300 or more plus tags just for a couple uses a year. Thankfully, I store it close enough that I can walk home after dropping it off and to it to pick it up. It's just not close enough to take it out on a whim.

My preference, of course, would be to eventually get a place that has a garage, car port or even a shed. That's just not in the finances right now.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey...I only paid $100 for my trailer. I got the axle cut off last night and all the old welds ground off. My next step is to power wash it to clean it up. Then I'll weld on the suspension brackets, paint, and assembly. Right now I've got an additional 80 bucks in it for the suspension. Paint will be about 20 bucks, and then a sheet of plywood and assorted hardware to bolt it on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.