Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After sitting around all of these years wanting this and nobody was around to do it (no not love)......I am going to give it a shot on my own. Let's see if you can figure it out???? :wink:

·
Registered
146 Posts
It looks like you have always wanted to be a artist and now you are going to practice on your bike. Good luck, I would use water colors first if I were you.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Good luck! Heck never know, with this club you might have prospects for customers!

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I used to pinstripe back in the 80s...but it was a bunch of curly & dotty madness. Now I just want to do simple old school striping. Two color at the most. The main reason I wanted to get back into this is I want to paint some traditional flames on my bike and nobody around here can outline the flames. Looks like it's up to me!

·
Super Moderator
10,875 Posts
There's a top-notch guy named Wild Bill over by Hendersonville or maybe Hickory, NC. Does great work, very reasonably priced. I'll see if I can dig up his info.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Man I wish I could do that kind of stuff, I just don't have the talent.

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
There's a top-notch guy named Wild Bill over by Hendersonville or maybe Hickory, NC. Does great work, very reasonably priced. I'll see if I can dig up his info.
I believe I've seen that guys site! Does some GREAT work!

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Cool! Pinstriping adds such a nice touch for such little cost. We had a guy do Crysti's bike for $200...or was it $300? Either way...not much.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree on Wild Bill ,I have been looking for him too. He did one of my H bikes about 15 years ago and I lost track of him. If anyone finds a number PM me.

·
Super Moderator
10,875 Posts
He's still working AFAIK. Did a coworkers bike about 2 yrs ago.

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where would one go about getting the supplies to try DIY pinstriping?
If you want to do it the old school way, pick up a couple Mack brushes and some 1 Shot sign paint from Summit Racing (EBay). You'll need other stuff too but it is all pretty well available at your local Walmart (mineral spirits for thinning....mineral oil to preserve the brushes.....laquer thinner for cleaning). Then practice on a piece of glass.

The easier way now is the Kafka method. Just do some searches on the internet and Youtube....you can learn a ton.

Here's a Youtube clip

YouTube - Kafka Ol' Skool Pinstriping, Part 1, 7/18/09

Here's what I've picked up so far

1 Mack Sword brushes (00& 1)-a white grease pencil-5 colors of 1 Shot sign paint (blk blue red wht tlw)-mineral spirits for thinning-mineral oil to save the brushes-glass jars out of the kitchen full of laquer thinner for cleaning-paper cups, paper plates and flyers for mixing paint on-popsickle sticks-an old ammo can to keep my stuff in-tape-alcohol for cleaning and prep-misc other art supplies that I already had

·
Registered
382 Posts
Predfan, my son is also neophyte striper. He started about 3 months ago and a friend of mine is mentoring him. He has a striping and graphic business and is a great help to my son. He is doing really well and is going to stripe his 1976 KZ400. He has another tank that is painted flat black, and he is going to stripe it white, orange, and red. It should be really cool when he is done.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
ok, very interesting. Show us your practice sheets and maybe, we might just comment on them. What kind of stripes do you have in mind?

·
Waiting for happy hour
3,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So far I haven't had time to practice much because of the holidays, but I found the Mack brushes a little difficult at first so I have one of Kafka's brushes on the way.

The whole reason I am doing this (besides for fun) is that I am painting my bike this spring and plan on doing some traditional flames with blue outlining. Nobody here pinstripes anymore.....so it's up to me.

I want to do some old school stuff too. I found a 62 Ford Galaxie that I might buy that would look great with some pinstriping.

Also I want to try my hand at lettering/sign painting. 2 old drag cars in our family from the 60s that will need some hand painted lettering soon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts