Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
subject - Nomad 1600D, lifters & SeaFoam

These are only my thoughts, every bike is different, FYI only. I purchased my Nomad with 32,000km (no TLC) at the Halifax HD store about 4 years ago. What a great bike. My wife is no longer able to ride so the back seat is gone. As the budget will allow, I've made a few changes to fill my wants. I've learned not to use full synthetic oil. The clutch does not like it at all. LED H4 and a LED fog light each side, top of engine guard light up nicely. A triangle is more visible than 3 across. My butt likes the Mustang solo saddle. Elephant Ears stuffed with scrap memory foam give a funnelled - increased volume - controlled air flow into the radiator and down both sides of the engine. Round engines taught me that controlled airflow beats mass airflow every time.
The PowerCommander V eliminated the VN1600D characteristic spark knock. (book calls for 95 octane) You see the problem. The calculator says that the PC V gives 345km/tank, stock was 360km/tank. I prefer to stop every 200/250km so no worries there. Empire Moto Works in Windsor also installed a Baron V95 supper sucker. These 2 mods smartened the Nomad right up, and the V95 deepened the stock pipes just enough. At times you can feel him thumping, and that is a good thing.
As with most things though, there is a price. Now you could really hear the lifters clacking, but only under certain conditions. It wants to run smooth but can't. Something must be gummed up or is gumming up?

I told that story, to tell this story

Most of us have used SeaFoam in the gas - but have you ever put it in your oil. The SeaFoam can says 30ml/L oil. I kicked that around for a few days, google, you Tube, you know the story. -- Anyway, I tried it this AM - 90ml in the 3L of Castrol 10w40, and went for a beauty of a morning ride (85km) You could hear/feel the difference almost right away and it just kept getting better. The one oil system - engine/transmission/clutch - all show signs of improvement. It's like I read them the riot-act. What a difference. ---------- Yes, every engine is different but my 95ci Vtwin - is running strong and smooth, up and down. I'm thinking I'll leave the SeaFoam in for 1,000KM then reassess. This is a learning curve in progress. Thumper 2020.jpg

Bikes are like airplanes that way - your butt tells you when they are happy.
ride safe, stay well

·
Super Moderator
10,774 Posts
If you've ever taken apart a wet clutch system, then you know how much goo can collect on clutch plates. Running a product like Seafoam in the oil does great to clean them up but it's not something I'd do often nor would I leave it in there for a long time. It's a solvent and a dilution agent- clean then promptly dump. Your bike, your choice but at the very least I'd be changing the filter and cleaning the strainer (I don't remember, does your bike have one?).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input. No I've never taken apart a wet clutch system. What duration are you thinking - 500 miles?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Castrol was almost new when I put the SeaFoam in, and yes I checked the screen. A good system I think. It will be very interesting to see the screen this time?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I also would be afraid to leave it in a long time or beat on the bike while it is mixed with the oil but that's me. Here is a link showing what seafoam did to this guy's Ford Ranger. It's amazing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi RR322
The Ford Ranger video was very interesting, especially the cut open filter. Thanks. After a morning ride I'll have about 200km. Time to drain out the sludge. I'm curious about the screen. I'll assume the filter is full and not cut it open. What I know is that SeaFoam really helped my 1600D. tjim
here is a year later video

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Well, I suppose posting informative video links is against the rules. They have been deleted. What a great forum to learn and help each other! NOT!

·
Super Moderator
10,774 Posts
Well, I suppose posting informative video links is against the rules. They have been deleted. What a great forum to learn and help each other! NOT!
Easy on the rant there. I see 2 links- 1 each from you and T.Jim. If you don't see them, it's on your end, not the forum's.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Now they are back. I don't know why both videos disappeared for a while. Sure it wasn't on my end.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PFM - pure f'en magic. Well I drained the 3 hour/250km 0il+SeaFoam - dirty but not bad, screen was clean. Changed the filter, 2 L of 10W40 (book) 1 L of 20W50 + 90ml SeaFoam. Like the Ford Guy I'll give SeaFoam's about 100 hrs. op time. I will keep my ear to the engine and no hard running. Time will tell. Thanks for helping out RR322 tjim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The second SeaFoam cleaning lasted for 800km. Little if any difference noticed, so I took it out. Screen was clean, oil filter changed and 3 L of 20W50 Castrol added, a good upgrade during a hot summer. The 10W40 oil will not go back in until this fall. I would recommend a SeaFoam flush to any one whose lifters are getting a bit loud. --- Adding SeaFoam at the end of an oils life may work just as well. tjim

·
Registered
2003 1600 Nomad
2 Posts
The second SeaFoam cleaning lasted for 800km. Little if any difference noticed, so I took it out. Screen was clean, oil filter changed and 3 L of 20W50 Castrol added, a good upgrade during a hot summer. The 10W40 oil will not go back in until this fall. I would recommend a SeaFoam flush to any one whose lifters are getting a bit loud. --- Adding SeaFoam at the end of an oils life may work just as well. tjim
Never heard of seafoam
Keep that on mind
I just joined here and had a,800vn . Now buying a 1600vn.
Dont know if I'll be sorry or not , turning or backing up. This monster since I'm only 145lbs . The 800 was a fire cracker but needed a better ride .
Any suggestion on turning and easy way outs
Will have this thing tommorrow

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 1600 VN is a great bike but it was designed to run on 95 octane - To eliminate the spark-knock problem - PowerCommander V - is the answer. Enjoy

·
Registered
755 Posts
Go to seafoamworks dot com to learn more about seafoam. I have no affiliation with seafoam but have used some of their products with success.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Some in the gas every now and then is good. In the oil, its up to you. Follow the directions on the can.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have used STP octane boosts to help with the spark knock until I did the permanent fix. SeaFoam is a great cleaner. The Power Commander and Baron V95 air intake system really wakes the bike up.

·
Super Moderator
10,774 Posts
I use a fuel additive on occasion. I like a product called Berryman's B-12 Chemtool. Following the directions on the can, I use it in the spring after my winter layup and maybe one other time during the summer when I'm going on a long trip and I'm going to burn through several tanks of gas in short order. For the winter I'll add some Stabil to the fuel and run around town a bit then park it. Mine's fuel injected but the carb'd folks need to remember to switch to reserve and get some Stabil down in those bits too.

I know some folks who are constantly adding stuff to their fuel. I see no point in it. Once or twice per year I think is plenty. I've never added anything to the oil. I see no point in that either. My bike is now 12 yrs old with 133+thousand miles and all my clutch parts are still factory original. Think of it this way- how many miles per year do folks drive cars? And how much obsessing about fuel and oil additives is going on there?

Now, all these thoughts are for bikes either bought new or with good maintenance over their life so no general statement covers all situations. A little fuel additive is IMHO good once in a while but more is not better. I shake my head when I read threads like this tho. Cleaning oil systems? Ok, I can see that. Regularly putting in oil additives in wet clutch systems is doing more harm than good IMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I changed my oil last week. I put 1/3 of a can in, before I changed it. Ran it about 10 miles came back changed it.WOW you won't belive what comes out! I put the Kawasaki oil bCk in with a K&N filter.. i promise the different was noticeable right away! Highly recommend 👌

1 - 19 of 19 Posts