Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard the merits of this product here and on other chats, so I picked up a bottle at NAPA the other day. I only have 2,000 miles on my bike thus far, and was wondering how soon and at what interval everyone recommends using it?

Thanks!
Daryl:smile:

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
I add it every once in a while, no set schedule. It doesn't hurt anything, so unless your bike is running poorly, I would say 3-4 times per year is often enough..mike

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, ok. Is it too early to start with it? My bike has 2,000 miles on it now. I had the 600-mile checkup done at the dealership and will probably change the oil (to full syn) at 3,500 miles.

Is it best to add the SeaFoam before, during or after fueling? Or does it matter? (ie, "just get in my belly").

Sorry for the 'dupid questions, but this stuff is new to me.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
It won't hurt to use now but prolly not necessary yet. It's a fuel system cleaning/ anti carbon agent & it sure won't hurt. I add 1 oz per gallon when I fill up about every 4th or 5th tank. Bout 25K & runs like a new one! 8)

·
enjoying the ride
448 Posts
I do make sure I add it when my bike is not going to go through a tank of gas very fast(like now). It is a fuel stabilizer. add when fueling up to mix completely and run engine long enough to get into fuel system..mike

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have a 5 gallon can and mix sea foam and fuel stabilizer in for all of my bikes and fill them from that - i also stop at the gas station and fill up my street bike sometimes - so it goes through every few tanks. Runs like a champ.

·
Recycled Rider
583 Posts
Oh, ok. Is it too early to start with it? My bike has 2,000 miles on it now. I had the 600-mile checkup done at the dealership and will probably change the oil (to full syn) at 3,500 miles.

Is it best to add the SeaFoam before, during or after fueling? Or does it matter? (ie, "just get in my belly").

Sorry for the 'dupid questions, but this stuff is new to me.
I first put some in around 16,000 miles.
And I put some in when I put it up for a year:(

I plan on using SeaFoam once a year-maybe just before I put it up for the winter and then also have it in the tank over the winter.

Put it in after arriving at the gas pump and before filling the tank (mixes better that way).

·
Patriot Guard Rider
1,694 Posts
Type of gas your running makes a difference also. I'm running premium in my 900 classic so I add it more often (every 3rd tank). premium has a tendency to cabon things up more.

:D
Aif

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts
Is there any other additives that you would recommend? My area doesn't ever seem to be in stock with seafoam.

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I run premium grade (91 octane here in CA) from pump gas (chevron, Shell, Mobil, ARCo, Valerio, etc).
Type of gas your running makes a difference also. I'm running premium in my 900 classic so I add it more often (every 3rd tank). premium has a tendency to cabon things up more.

:D
Aif

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Understood, Tom. That is the reason for the inquiry/thread. Occasionally, there is an aftermarket product that actually DOES help, so I was just checking on Sea Foam as to its usefulness. Thanks for your reply though, as I want to hear the +, the -, and everything in between!
Cheers,
Daryl

One more thing to waste time and money on. It's amazing how many years my bikes have run just fine without.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I keep reading posts about "carbon buildup" and have no idea what this obsession is based on. The old 2 stroke street bikes running oil injection or (even older) pre-mix didn't build up carbon as fast as you're apparently imagining your modern four stroke is.
Lugging a 4-stroke engine, too cold of a spark plug heat range or heavy stop/go traffic will eventually create a carbon buildup. Take 'er out on the freeway and 'blow it out' every once in a while and surprise, the carbon will take waay longer to 'build up'.

Seafoam, or just about any other decarbon product will work. Techron (in Chevron gasoline) also helps keep fuel injectors clean . . .

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Running the appropriate heat range plug is a good thing. Most bikes come with plugs that appear to have been chosen for running flat out thru Death Valley on the hottest day of the summer. Fact is though that too cold a plug won't cause carbon build up anywhere except on the plug.
DPR6EA9 is a cold plug? How high does NGK go?
I keep reading recommendations to drop to the EA7 to reduce pinging (which is not the correct solution).

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Gotcha... I was under the impression that the last number was the heat range... so ya, a 6 would be a mid range. Gotta' learn these durn metric plug types, not that it really matters because I've always run the recommended plug on every vehicle I've owned.

As far as pre-gapped, out of the 4 that I picked up, one was at 0.034, one at 0.032, and 2 at 0.035 ;)
The boxes showed no signs of having been dropped, and the sleeves were still on the threads.
Guess they're cool through... spec is 0.031 to 0.035

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Ya... I remember when they didn't come "pre-gapped"
I played around with various gapping on my old Camaro... never really saw any difference in power or mileage.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
It's good stuff for sure!

I had an old lawn mower that was getting harder to start and run. Even with fresh gas...filter and plug and it was running like a dog. I added SeaFoam to the gas...got it running and within 15 minutes that mower was running like new. I've had other positive experiences with it so have gotten in the habit of using it in all of my gasoline engines. For my Toyota truck I add one can per season. For my motorcycle and 4-wheeler I use it during winter months as a stabilizer. It amazes me how treating the gas with it allows any engine to start right up even after sitting for some time. Good stuff!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
SeaFoam is wonderful stuff and while some may scoff at its value added benefit, it certainly can't hurt. My Seafoam regimen includes putting a whole bottle into the Rogue at every oil change or when the bike will sit for an extended period of time; it is after all a fuel stabilizer as well. I think that is sufficient and not total overkill. I've read in this thread of some people doing it every 3rd or 4th gas fill up and all I have to say is WOW, if you can afford to spend the extra $7-8 on a can like that then more power to ya (unless yur not using the whole can like me :D) But I have personally felt the benefit of using this product in my Rogue and I would highly recommend it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts