Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Spring inching closer, I need to get a cushion for my seat. I can't ride more than an hour without a pain in the butt. I had my stock seat sent out and replaced with memory foam, but noticed no difference in comfort. I've been looking online at gel and air. If anyone uses them, do you have a preference? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I tried a gel pad on my old cruiser and didn't really care for it too much. I even went so far as to modify my stock seat and put the gel pad inside. Eventually, I just broke down and bought a Mustang seat.......best decision I ever made and worth every penny.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I tried a gel pad on my old cruiser and didn't really care for it too much. I even went so far as to modify my stock seat and put the gel pad inside. Eventually, I just broke down and bought a Mustang seat.......best decision I ever made and worth every penny.
+1. I tried a gel pad on the Mustang seat and found it to be uncomfortable. For me the Mustang by itself and the ability to change riding position on long rides is as good as it gets.

·
Line rider
326 Posts
I have an airhawk. Before the pad I wasn't able to go 45 minutes before I had to stop rest and stretch. After the pad I can ride all day. I still feel a little sore after a long ride but I think that's from being in the same position for a long time. The trick to the airhawk is finding the proper pressure. I found my airhawk for about $130.00 online.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I had my bikes seat done at Spencers with the LD option, then added a sheepskin pad from Alaska leather. Totally happy with the result.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
I had my bikes seat done at Spencers with the LD option, then added a sheepskin pad from Alaska leather. Totally happy with the result.
I have an Alaska Leather pad too. Very comfy, but a little warm in the summer. And, ironically, it keeps the seat cool after sitting in the sun all day.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I have the leathermans sheepskin covered gel pad. I use it only for very long rides of 4 or more hours. It works wonders. Not too expensive either. Saddlemen Motorcycle Seats, Luggage and Accessories

With my regular seat (profiler) I can go about 3 hrs before it gets too uncomfortable but with the pad I have done 10hr days on the bike.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a Mustang, but find that it's mounted with a slight rear tilt, which I so far have not been able to adjust out. (Haven't looked that hard at it, tho.) My BIL says the bead thing is the way to go. I might go that way, but still trying out other options first.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
I have a Mustang, but find that it's mounted with a slight rear tilt, which I so far have not been able to adjust out. (Haven't looked that hard at it, tho.) My BIL says the bead thing is the way to go. I might go that way, but still trying out other options first.
I've heard nothing but good things about the beads... I may have to try them this summer

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
+1. I tried a gel pad on the Mustang seat and found it to be uncomfortable. For me the Mustang by itself and the ability to change riding position on long rides is as good as it gets.
I think it's like exhaust pipes. It's just a matter of preference. I bought the Mustang with the backrest and loved the backrest but the seat was no better than my stock seat for me. It is hard as a rock. But some people like that. It just didn't work for me.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
I think it's like exhaust pipes. It's just a matter of preference. I bought the Mustang with the backrest and loved the backrest but the seat was no better than my stock seat for me. It is hard as a rock. But some people like that. It just didn't work for me.
+1

I went from an OEM regular seat to an OEM gel and felt an immediate difference, as did my wife. Others don't think they are any better than the original. Of course, I guess it could be that all seats are made inconsistently and it's just a luck of the draw...

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
+1

I went from an OEM regular seat to an OEM gel and felt an immediate difference, as did my wife. Others don't think they are any better than the original. Of course, I guess it could be that all seats are made inconsistently and it's just a luck of the draw...
I'm with you. My Mustang seat was on my last ride and my new 900 LT has the stock Gel seat and it is way better than the Mustang for me. I am thinking about getting that Utopia backrest and keeping the stock Gel seat.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
I'm with you. My Mustang seat was on my last ride and my new 900 LT has the stock Gel seat and it is way better than the Mustang for me. I am thinking about getting that Utopia backrest and keeping the stock Gel seat.
I'm gonna get the Protac backrest. About $150, on and off in minutes and they can design em specifically for the 900LT with a gel seat (the gels are taller than the standard OEM seat).

Check em out:

Protact Driver Backrest - Kawasaki

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
If you ever try and Airhawk seat cushion you'll LOVE it!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, thanks for all the input everyone. I was talking with a guy I work with and he bought an Airhawk last year for his seat. He absolutely loves it and says he can ride hours without a pain in the butt. I may order one for my seat. If that doesn't do it, then a new seat may be in store.

Thanks again for all your replies! :smile:

·
Line rider
326 Posts
The airhawk is on sale (see link) for $130.00. I have a Vulcan 900 and the medium fits it perfectly. I usually remove it when I park the bike at work so it doesn't sit in the sun all day, easy on and off though.

RL Motorcycles

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The airhawk is on sale (see link) for $130.00. I have a Vulcan 900 and the medium fits it perfectly. I usually remove it when I park the bike at work so it doesn't sit in the sun all day, easy on and off though.

RL Motorcycles
Thanks .22! That's a great price. I just saw them for $189 on another site. Going to order it this morning. Thanks for letting me know.

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
I'm gonna get the Protac backrest. About $150, on and off in minutes and they can design em specifically for the 900LT with a gel seat (the gels are taller than the standard OEM seat).

Check em out:

Protact Driver Backrest - Kawasaki
Is the Protac adjustable? It loks like it just sits in the slots. I am short and need to be able to fold it down to get on then raise it back up. It looks like the Protac is fixed at a certain angle.

·
Many roads -little time
157 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts