Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't ride sports bikes very often, but I learned something pretty cool today while I was taking my buddy's Suzuki SV 650S out for a spin. While I was hittin' the twisties and trying to make the most of the turns, I was sitting way back in the seat. This made it easier to slide my rump left and right as needed.

On my way home, while I wasn't performance riding anymore, I found it a lot more comfortable on my wrists to sit way forward in the seat. This sat me up straighter and put more weight on my butt/crotch - it made gripping the tank with my knees easier too. Pretty cool.

I know most sports bike riders probably already know this, but I thought to myself, "Hey, I just learned something cool ... I should post this!" :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hehe, right on. I learned that on my own just riding... of course I also learned that while riding a more neutral grip on the handle bars helps you steer better too. But I had to read about that before I tried it.

Thanks for sharing... :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Turning

When you get ready for your next left turn "PUSH" forward the left bar a little and se how much faster you lean and make the turn! Same thing for the right. Learned that from a guy riding a 125YamahaGP full racing bike. Used it ever since then...Left or right just push the bar...in the direction you want to turn!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Oh yeah, I countersteer everywhere I go. I'm trying to make it an unconscious effort to steer properly so when I get stupid I'll keep turning instead of start crashing. ;)

I wondered for a while if countersteering all the time would damage the tires or something. Heh, after a bit of research I find out there is no other way to steer the bike over ~30mph. Hehe, strange thoughts these must sound like to a learned rider :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
No WAY!!!

Learning to ride is awesome...pushing the bar forward gets you into the turn so much faster than just trying to lean into it....MAN, I wish I was there in your neck of the woods with a 250R! You have some awesome roads...I'd be so tired by the end of the day, and I'd know every foot of each road and I'd be riding each one of them in my sleep...Oh, man! Karen and I may move to Sierra Vista, AZ, which is even further south almost to the border, elevation 5,000'ASL...it's a ride t get to Phoenix but I could take all the backroads...and make the same stops everytime I went up and back...I'm really excited about finally moving after all these years at this address. I had 20 years of Navy so I've seen the world and even been over the Equator, International date line and the GMT...I still have a buddy that lives somewhere near Morenci, and I have a (High School girl) chat friend in Mesa, but i really fell for th place when we had my step-son in Ft. Haucha (spelled wrong). Sierra Vista. Surrounded by mountains, nice people, mostly military or ex-military...I love the food, and I can still se California if I want to go there. It's just far enough away to keep the relatives from "popping over". Just stay safe and when you can afford better tires, then do so...When I visited the salvage yard with over 14 250R's in it I looked at every one of them for aftermarket tires...and EVERYONE of them had the Dunlop 630 stock tires on them...I'd like to ride one day with you when I get my bike out and actually finished up. As soon as I'm ready for a road trip that far, i'll staw with my ex-navy buddy for a couple of days and try to contact you then. Right now I may be working a deal with someone with my 1974 Camaro LT. That would help me to get a bike NOW adn then I could get the one from the slvage yard and completely build it for Strictly Street and not highway. Soft tires, 14/48 gearing, shaved down lower saddle, perhaps an air shock for absolute adjustment...a true street machine...Batman Logo's, some custom work with LED's, a rear fender like the one on the front only for the swingarm on the rear no rear under fender, a custom (dremeled out tail light with LED running and brake lights and the dremeled out side lights replaced with amber panels for turn signals...easy stuff, and something to do when it's 12 below zero here in the winter and the snow plows can't do anything because the power lines are allover the roads adn the transformers and power poles are laying across the roads as well...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Wow, that'd be amazingly cool if you moved down here. That'd rock to have another ninja 250 enthusiast in the area :)

Woa, Sierra Vista is SE of Tucson... that's about 180 miles from me! Hehe, well at least you'd be in state ;)

Well, I hope the deal works out for you with the Camaro. I've started to cut down my riding time lately because of expense. I think last week I put on 600 miles. Those were fun miles though... I can't wait till I have a job to support my riding habit hehe...

And yep, tires are the first thing on my list of upgrades. Well, second actually... but the headlight I bought was more for safety than functionality. But that's one thing I've read over and over again... Tires from the ninja250.net board.

Anyways, take care...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Other board

The other board wouldn't ALLOW me to use ZX-2R...after some lengthly messages....I'm "Batman"... I may still "Experiment" with the air using the existing airbox, like you have said, there has to be a better way to physically direct, or RAM air into the airbox...without going into major fairing changes, or big bucks. I'm still thinking about the 12Vdc idea though...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yeah, I'm not terribly impressed with the "other" board anymore... a lot of the guys seem to be whining and moaning more than anything.

Let me know what you come up with on the 12v idea...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Okay I 'll Keep you informed

Then too, NINJA GIRL lives in Phoenix... she has a 500, but it might make a great ride out east of town...just be careful riding in pairs...

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
lol, i read about counter steer online. So i took my bycycle out, rode it too 27 mph (speedo verifeid) and tried it. I leaned in like it was a real bike! I was like,"holy crap, that was awesome!" Now I'm trying to make it second nature, so that when i get a real bike I'll do it when i need to.

Peter.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Steering

Wait till you pour on the power to the rear tire while trying this...be careful that you are ROLLING it on and not snap it on as you are coming out...a little to soon an dtha tlittle patch of tire starts spinning...............

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
hey, I'll keep it simply, of course, I'm on a human powered bike, but hey,I'm on hard compound tires too. It's fun, I ccan beat the heck outta my friend when we race now. lots of fun :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
To beef you up and to have some serious fun you should

Consider a Dirt bike! Until you hare ready for a street bike then if you don't have to sell your dirt bike you will have two bikes for fun...Should you have to sell your dirt bike you will just ahave that much more money to spend...

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
yes, ture. I'm getting a job soon, and plan to sae for a street bike, but I'll difenitly consider a dirt bike. Keep safe.

Peter.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Direction

Take the direction of repairing or doing mods for people and in the beginning just assisting them...then doing it on your own...eventually working your way through to doing complete fiarings and body work...I don't know if you read everything on the forum, but where the sport bike is lacking according to the article out of the Sport rider is that the wind screens are ineffective unless you are in a full racing crotch in excess of 80mph...that is an easy fix...just get a 2" taller, 3" taller rider height has somthing to do with this windscreen...too the fairing just snuggles the body., frame of the motorcycle leaving the cyclist out in teh airstream disrupting the aerodynamics,,,make the fairing 8-10 inches wider at the sides an now the riders legs become the closure area for the fairing effectively sealing part of it off an dnow is no longer in the disrupting the airflow but is now inside the slipstream...it's not a difficult thing to improve upon. The advantage overcomes the couple puunds of extra weight because of the drag that is reduced...ANYBODY can see it read about it, yet nobody has done anything about it...PETER, You want to excite the industry take a serious fairing fo ra bike and cut it and splice in what needs to be spliced in for the proper airflow clearance an YOU will have your own business and can buy a warehouse of ZX-6R's

1 - 15 of 15 Posts