Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 Mean Streak and I just got some Willie and Max studded bags the other day, along with the supports. I have run them under the seat, so they aren't going anywhere, and the bags have a loop on the forward and rear of the bags to attach them to the support with. But it seems that the bags are free to move out and up, from the bottom. Has anyone ever just attached their bags solely to the supports? I have seen some that don't go all the way across from one side to the other, but I don't know if they are some special kind or what. Any thoughts?
I'm new so I haven't gotten a picture up yet, but I will very soon.
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome holland :wink:

some bags can be hard mounted directly to the fender struts with bolts those don't go across
the fender and are really the best way to mount bags imo

throw-over bags like yours have those loops to secure the bag to the support
just use a plastic zip-tie thru the loop and around the support and draw it tight
cut off the excess and the bag the will stay in place just fine

hope this helps!

ride safe!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I do the same thing with my Saddlemen throwover Desperado slants. The loops attach them to the bag supports but they're still able to move around, so I zip tie them. That holds them pretty secure. Thing is, then the quick disconnect feature to remove them is useless.

The Ghost Bracket is probably the way to go. To get them to fit the MS tho is cost prohibitive for me.

·
Registered
302 Posts
throw over saddlebags

A WORD TO THE WISE,.....MAKE SURE YOUR BAGS ARE NOT TOUCHING YOUR FENDER OR ANY OTHER PAINTED SURFACE BECAUSE THEY WILL RUB & RUB JUST LIKE FINE SAND PAPER AND REALLY MESS-UP YOUR PAINT JOB WHERE THEY TOUCH. I USE TO LAUGH AT THOSE UGLY WIRE BRACKETS AND THOUGHT TO MYSELF THAT ALL YOU HAD TO TO WAS SAY SOMETHING WAS A MOTORCYCLE"ACCESSORY" AND SOMEONE WOULD BUY IT.NOW I KNOW BETTER......MY SOLUTION WAS TO CUT THE LEATHER YOLKE DOUBLE IT UP & MOUNT THE BAGS WITH CHROME FENDER WASHERS TO THE SIDE OF THE BIKE BELOW THE SEAT, I TOOK OFF MY HELMET LOCKS AND MOUNTED THEM ON EACH SIDE OF MY BACKREST-LOOKS CLEAN-WORKS GREAT!
GOOD LUCK!
LONESTAR

·
Registered
137 Posts
Of course the BEST way to cure the saddle bag movement and paint rubbing is to get bags for a Nomad (and get the rest of the bike to go with them :D :wink: )

·
Registered
221 Posts
holland07,

Do you have any pix of the installed bags?

What model # are they?
Price? Purchased from?

I have a Meanie, and I am looking for some nice bags..

Thanks,
-Ryan

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ryan,
The bags I bought were Willie and Max Fleetside Studded
Saddlebags - SB727. You can see them at:
http://www.willieandmax.com/sb727.html

You can't buy them through Willie and Max but you can
find a dealer or shop that can order them. They were
$165 and I also got supports for $100. I love these
bags, they look great and store everything I need them
to. I was considering the smaller ones, but I'm so glad
I didn't go with them because these are perfect. I will
get a new picture taken and update my profile with it

John

·
Registered
221 Posts
John,

Those are nice looking bags.. thanks for the info.. look forward to your updated picture!

-Ryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts