Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1983 Kawasaki kz440 ltd & it has those self cancelling turn signals but they don't work. I had other bikes with this as well & they didn't work as well unless i'm doing something wrong. they have a manual/automatic setting & I have it set on automatic. using either setting didn't make a difference. how are these supposed to work anyhow?

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you are stopped they will stay on until you have moved a certain distance. If you are moving they will stay on for a time limit. That way they do not turn off at a light until after you have made the turn and if you are moving fast they do not turn off too soon.( you would cover the certain distance to fast). In manual you have to turn them off yourself. Most newer bikes only have manual. That is why you may see bikes forgetting to turn them off.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are stopped they will stay on until you have moved a certain distance. If you are moving they will stay on for a time limit. That way they do not turn off at a light until after you have made the turn and if you are moving fast they do not turn off too soon.( you would cover the certain distance to fast). In manual you have to turn them off yourself. Most newer bikes only have manual. That is why you may see bikes forgetting to turn them off.
maybe I didn't give them a long enough chance to turn off as soon as I turn I quickly manually turned them off. maybe they need more time?

·
Registered
37 Posts
They work on a timer and minimum distance. After a certain amount of time they will turn off but you must go a minim distance first. You'll find around town they tend to stay on longer as it takes longer to reach the minimum distance while on the highway they turn off quicker (as the minim distance is travelled quicker).

There are times when I have to manually turn them off and also times when I have to turn them on again because they turn off too soon. All and all though, I think they work pretty well.

·
itching to ride
2,215 Posts
Mine have worked since I got the bike. After a bit you learn about how long they last so adjust accordingly. I know about when to turn my blinkers on so they remain on till I turn. After awhile you get a feel for when to turn on your turn signals if they are working properly.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine have worked since I got the bike. After a bit you learn about how long they last so adjust accordingly. I know about when to turn my blinkers on so they remain on till I turn. After awhile you get a feel for when to turn on your turn signals if they are working properly.
you know what's driving me crazy the part listed in the above post & this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-Turn-Signal-Switch-27010-1016/253575657359?epid=1211849527&hash=item3b0a49778f:g:02QAAOSwma9a22rb are both said to fit my bike & they both have the same markings on them, bur different connectors. I wonder which one my bike has.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
The little module is called a distance sensor in the 750-4 manual & I don't think it is a replaceable part. There is a procedure in the 750-4 pdf manual for checking the automatic turn signal system, including specific tests for the distance sensor. The 440 probably operates the same. You should do the tests to identify the problem, before buying any parts. If the distance sensor is defective, you would have to replace the speedometer as the sensor isn't available separately. I wouldn't buy a used speedo hoping that the distance sensor is good. assuming that's the problem.

As for the two different part numbers, you should remove your turn signal operating switch to identify which one you have or at the least see what connector it has. I would remove it & also compare the wire colors & do the tests to avoid buying unneeded parts.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
cont'd. the two turn signal operating switches could be the same except for the connectors. If necessary, you could swap connectors to mate the replacement part to your wire harness. Whenever Kawasaki made any change, however insignificant, a new part number would be assigned to the part. The old Kawasaki site had supersession info, but alas, no more.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The little module is called a distance sensor in the 750-4 manual & I don't think it is a replaceable part. There is a procedure in the 750-4 pdf manual for checking the automatic turn signal system, including specific tests for the distance sensor. The 440 probably operates the same. You should do the tests to identify the problem, before buying any parts. If the distance sensor is defective, you would have to replace the speedometer as the sensor isn't available separately. I wouldn't buy a used speedo hoping that the distance sensor is good. assuming that's the problem.

As for the two different part numbers, you should remove your turn signal operating switch to identify which one you have or at the least see what connector it has. I would remove it & also compare the wire colors & do the tests to avoid buying unneeded parts.
I thought you would have to replace the speedometer if that part is bad I read somewhere. I did in fact (after I bought the part) look at my bike & it looks to be the same part. I didn't realize there was in fact 2 different modules until after the fact, but it is the right one. I wonder why there would be 2 different parts for the same thing? both parts were listed for my model & I checked it out several times before placing the order. anyway this part is mounted low on the bike in front of the right side cover & it looks like it takes abuse from road debris. I'm replacing the part that's the most probable cause of the problem. if I'm wrong that's it I won't further waste anymore time to fix this as it's really no bid deal to manually cancel the turn signals. I have to remove the fuel tank to clean it out & my headlight doesn't work so I will be able to get at any wiring with the tank removed to try to figure out the problem & would be able to check out the connections under the tank for both the turn signals & headlight as well. I really need a good manual for this bike, but it seems everywhere I look I see manuals for different year bikes.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cont'd. the two turn signal operating switches could be the same except for the connectors. If necessary, you could swap connectors to mate the replacement part to your wire harness. Whenever Kawasaki made any change, however insignificant, a new part number would be assigned to the part. The old Kawasaki site had supersession info, but alas, no more.

I wish I had a good source for info like this but I keep seeing so much contradictory info posted everywhere..... anyway the gamble worked out as it's the same part. I have some new parts to install on the bike this weekend. will keep posted on if this worked or not....

it's like I'm working on this bike blindfolded because I have no idea what this is for & what that's for. I don't even know what fuses to use on the bike as one was blown when I first bought the bike & I replaced it without knowing if I installed the right one. what's strange is when the fuse was blown vs after it was replaced everything on the bike seems to work the same no noticeable differences....

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
There really isn't a one stop source for stuff like this. As for the two part numbers, I checked a couple of wiring diagrams & one turn signal operating unit has 6 wires, while another has 8, hence the different part numbers. The unit with 8 wires has the 2 speed sensor wires separate from the main pigtail. The way the system is engaged using the handlebar controls may be different with the 6-wire unit, so instead of Auto/Manual, it may just have ON/OFF. or something like that.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There really isn't a one stop source for stuff like this. As for the two part numbers, I checked a couple of wiring diagrams & one turn signal operating unit has 6 wires, while another has 8, hence the different part numbers. The unit with 8 wires has the 2 speed sensor wires separate from the main pigtail. The way the system is engaged using the handlebar controls may be different with the 6-wire unit, so instead of Auto/Manual, it may just have ON/OFF. or something like that.

I installed the new switch had to remove the battery box to get at it. I have not rode the bike yet to see if it fixed the problem or not. on the left hand side control there's a box that is under the control is this the solenoid that actually cancels the turn signal?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts