Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can only imagine that this somehow tells you the fuel level in the tank being that I have a fuel gauge. But what exactly is this thing? Where does it connect to? It's on the right side underneath the gas tank on my ninja. It's been un-hooked ever since I had the bike so it doesn't cause and major running (or leaking) issues that I know of. Honestly I'm 99% sure its for the gas gauge but what does it hook up to?

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is indeed for the fuel guage. There should be a hose that connects it to the overflow hose coming off the back of your gas tank under the seat. There should be a T-connector where the 2 hoses meet, and then connect to an overflow hose that runs down beside the back tire. My 92 Ninja has the same identical cover, and the only thing I can think of is a drain cover for excess moisture build up. I really don't think it's going to hurt anything the way it is right now, so it's up to you if you want to connect it or not.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does it get the signal to the gas gauge? I don't see any wires or clips anywhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you take that plastic cover off, you should see 2 wires going to the actual sensor which is inside the gas tank. Looking at your picture, the wires should be coming out of the left side of the plastic cover when you're sitting on the bike The cover should just snap on. The wires should lead under the seat and connect to a plastic connector to the rest of the wiring harness. If you take the plastic cover that you have pictured off and don't see any wires, then you sensor isn't hooked up, and therefore your gas guage doesn't work.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, exactly what I needed to know. I thought for some reason the sensor was somplace else and it ran off pressure or vacuum from that plastic thing. Seems pretty straight forward.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts