Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1600 Classic is due for the 4000 mile service. The owner's manual says an oil change isn't due until 7500 miles. Is it just me or do you think oil and filter are ready to be changed at well before 7500 miles? What should I expect to pay for a 4000 mile service including oil and filter? Any other advice or issues I should consider?

pms

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dealer?

I believe, unless it's free - and with specific guarantees...I wouldn't let a dealer touch my bike! Do yourself a favor and take an avid interest in the maintenance and upkeep of your bike. If you don't have the tools, buy them...If you don't know how to do it, ask a friend...or visit "Gadget" on this forum.
Knowing your machines inner workings from the ground up extrapulates into more economical operation as well as safer operation.
4,000 is max, IMHO...for any petroleum-based motor oil. I recommend synthetic-based oils. Change intervals would depend, somewhat, on the severity of "service" but as a general rule synthetics should give you at least 5,000 miles.
Now, go out there and get those wrenches!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing. Changed oil at 600 mile service and then again at 7500? I have 5600 on it now and I'm not sure I want to wait until 7500. I am definitely going to synthetic. I would like to hear other opinions.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I agree with hawgklr

In my area the dealers charge from $52/hr to $92/hr. Plus you can buy the parts for 50% less than the dealer charges.

I change my oil every 2,000 miles. Oil is cheap. A good way to tell when your oil needs changed is when it becomes harder to shift gears. That means you waited too long.

I prime the oil filter and remove plug wires and crank with the starter till the engine oil light goes out. That prevents starting the bike up with low oil pressure.

Good Luck and Ride Safe

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Are you sure you don't need to change your oil at 4000 miles. The maintenance schedule in my 1500's owners manual calls out 600 miles, 4000 miles, 7500 miles and at every 3500 mile mark beyond that.

6900 miles between changes seems excessive.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The owners manual does call for service at 600,4000,7500 but the 4000 does not call for any oil changes. It is more of a safety check service. Tightening bolts, inspecting brakes, inspecting plug gaps. That sort of thing. The oil change is called for at 7500 miles. I couldn't believe it either. It makes me wonder if it was a printing mistake. I am going to go ahead and change mine anyway. It can't hurt.

·
37,387 Posts
my service at 4k has the oil change on it...Hmmm, I'd change your oil.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Going too. I am also going to go to synthetic. What's your take on that?

·
37,387 Posts
I went to a synthetic blend at my 4k change. I noticed better performance in my transmission. I had a clunky first to second shift with what came in the bike and with the blend, its still clunky as most first to second shifts are but is nowhere near what it had been.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
spok said:
I went to a synthetic blend at my 4k change. I noticed better performance in my transmission. I had a clunky first to second shift with what came in the bike and with the blend, its still clunky as most first to second shifts are but is nowhere near what it had been.

spok....did you switch to Mobil Red Cap 15-30?

·
37,387 Posts
No, it wasn't a Mobile Product. I don't recall the brand off the top of my head, I'll let you know what I used when I get home.

The one day of the week that I drive to the office I'm asked a question that if I were at home I could answer.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

i love to change oil - its a 3 beer job :lol:

·
37,387 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
i love to change oil - its a 3 beer job :lol:
Some of them cajun shipfitters who worked in the shipyard used to judge their ride home in the afternoon by how many beers it took. The longest drive was a 9 beer ride.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
spok said:
No, it wasn't a Mobile Product. I don't recall the brand off the top of my head, I'll let you know what I used when I get home.

The one day of the week that I drive to the office I'm asked a question that if I were at home I could answer.

LOL....No biggie....I know others say they use the Mobil Red Cap oil and swear by it.

I have been using a synth blend by Valvoline 10-40 and think on the next oil change......something like a gazillion days from now with all of the crappy.....i'm going to switch to the Red Cap oil.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Beer and Oil Change

A couple of years ago, I went drag racing with my buddy. We both run the same type of cars. He has a big cam and heads and runs in the low 11's. I have stock internals and run high 12's.

The first run he only ran 12.5 sec. When we went back to the pits and opened his hood we found an empty beer bottle and his oil level was very high. It seems the night before he changed the oil filter and put new oil in, but forgot to drain the old oil.

He drained out the excessive oil and was back running low 11's.

Luckily we trailer the cars as the drag strip was over 150 miles away.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

that can happen grunt when you make a 3 beer job a 6 beer job :lol:

what are you running high 12's with?

·
Registered
283 Posts
bikeaholic

I am running a 98 Camaro SS with a few bolt ons and 4.10 gears.

My son and I just bought a 1970 Chevelle rolling chassis. It's a full race car w/o engine. It's not pretty up front, but looks good from the grandstands.

I am thinking of selling the SS next spring and buying another bike. I went to the dealer to ask about a FJR 1300. They said you can only order a 2006 model and wanted a $500 deposit and delivery would be around next August to Nov. Thats to late for the riding season in my area.

Any suggestions for another bike? What do you think about the Mean Streak?

Grunt

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: i knew it was a f-body running 12's on all motor :lol:

chevelles were race cars out of the box :lol:
well if your going to stay with kawi meanie is the fastest cruiser they have
but they make some badd a$$ sport bikes too-so tuff choice
hate to see the SS go though :cry: figure out a way to keep her
and get the bike too 8)

·
Registered
101 Posts
grunt said:
I prime the oil filter and remove plug wires and crank with the starter till the engine oil light goes out. That prevents starting the bike up with low oil pressure.
Hope you realize to remove the wires from terminal 15 on the coils (where battery is attached to) or at least ground the plug wires with either one of the plugs per cylinder. This prevents possible damages to devices attached to the primary circuit or the coil itself when the high voltage in the secondary circuit don't get grounded.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It sure seems crazy that there's no oil change recomended at the 4000 mile service but that's what the owner manula says...could be a typo I suppose.
As has been mentioned, oil is relatively cheap so change more rather than less often; I changed mine at 2500 miles as I had the oil/filter, plus the 3 beers in the fridge. I'll also changed it at the 4000 mile service and probably will before 7500 as well.
As hot as NorthCal is in the summer it seems like a good idea. It's not hot this time of year though...did the Yuba Sutter Toy Run yesterday with temps in the mid 40s I suppose...

pms

1 - 20 of 22 Posts