Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Is she Blonde?
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my wife and I bought our bikes in january of 2008 I had no idea how to work on them...so I got the reduced price service agreement which also covers tires,brakes all adjustments including valves. Took the bikes in 2 weeks ago for service and new rear tire on mine..called after 3 days to see if I could pick them up yet. He told me that they were waiting on a tire to come in..and that he was replacing my front tire as well. It had 60% tread left why? "We change both at once" and yes I get to keep the old front tire..Well my wifes rear tire is about 45% tread will you change that also?.."yes and her front too".
Heres the problem..they are required to use OEM tires under the service plan..nobody carries my rear OEM tire size/brand..He thinks kawasaki will get them too him by early next week. 3 weeks for oil change and tires??? Last year he told me he would go 1" taller to help compensate for the speedo error...nope...must be OEM brand size...crud!!!!!!!
By the way the cost of the sevice plan has been greatly exceeded on my wifes V-star so we are about a wash on price between our 2 bikes..her 1st service was $485(valve adjust).
I'm gettin' impatient here!!!!!!!:mad:

·
Is she Blonde?
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually we should come out even..a loss on my vulcan and alot larger bill for my wifes v-star. I now know next time..to say"no thank you" when asked about buying one..between this forum and my friends..piece o' cake.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Powershotent the best investment i made was a service manual for my bike,it will pay for it self the first time you use it.
+1
The copies are only a few dollars on ebay!

When I bought my bike I said yes to the svc agreement then cancelled it within the thirty days. I believe it was the very last day when I cancelled at the dealer (they make you go there) and the crowed was not too happy then.

·
'09 Vulcan 900 Custom
906 Posts
LOL

My wife's Honda Rebel cost only $3000 brand new. The first service was right at $300. I was told it was due to the fact they had to do a valve adjustment and that if I didn't want to pay that much I should buy the service agreement.

It takes about 45 minutes, a torque wrench, and two quarts of oil to do the whole job in my garage lol. The bike doesn't even have an oil filter!

·
Is she Blonde?
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got the bikes back friday.I know how to service bikes now..I even do amateur racing at P.I.R. I have a 1995 honda CBR900RR in my shop now that needs the carbs shimmed,oil changed and plugs. In the last 2 years my buddy has taught me tons!
I do know that the agreement is manged by a 3rd party. My dealer is trying to rape them on charges. My wifes bike for an oil change,plugs and 2 new tires was $661.
Mine was $648 for the same. I even got 3 of the 4 old tires back because they were still legal tread. The 3 yr plan expires in feb. 2011. Paid $3400 for the service plan for both bikes. Got home yesterday and added up all the service costs and we have now exceeded what we paid by $267. Yes that is what the dealer charges for service..If I had done it all myself(paid for tires and paid for local shop to mount them) It would be a fraction of cost. The plan expires before the valve adjustment is due on my 900LT so I guess a manual is in my future.

·
Biking Old Timer
445 Posts
Powershotent, That service manual is money well spent. I haven't paid for anything since I got mine. It has been parts only. I took my bike in for the first service and when I saw what they charged I ordered the service manual that day. I would rather turn my own wrenchs anyway, then I know exactly how its been done. Ride 'em Safe.

·
Swingin like a monkey
814 Posts
Just got the bikes back friday.I know how to service bikes now..I even do amateur racing at P.I.R. I have a 1995 honda CBR900RR in my shop now that needs the carbs shimmed,oil changed and plugs. In the last 2 years my buddy has taught me tons!
I do know that the agreement is manged by a 3rd party. My dealer is trying to rape them on charges. My wifes bike for an oil change,plugs and 2 new tires was $661.
Mine was $648 for the same. I even got 3 of the 4 old tires back because they were still legal tread. The 3 yr plan expires in feb. 2011. Paid $3400 for the service plan for both bikes. Got home yesterday and added up all the service costs and we have now exceeded what we paid by $267. Yes that is what the dealer charges for service..If I had done it all myself(paid for tires and paid for local shop to mount them) It would be a fraction of cost. The plan expires before the valve adjustment is due on my 900LT so I guess a manual is in my future.

I haven't actually done my valve adjustment yet, but the service manual is pretty light on the procedure. In most cases you can find more and better information on this forum than in the manual.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts