Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two thumbs down for closing the Service Manual thread and removing all links to online manuals or other service information. The whole point of a user forum is to share ideas, experiences and information. These sites are a blessing to manufactures as they provide the FAQ and support that they are too lazy, cheap, or incompetent to provide. They themselves can view the sites and gain valuable feedback (both on their product and items they should consider developing). I could maybe understand if the site was personally storing the manuals on its server that they might consider themselves to be "distributing and profiting/benefiting" from copyrighted material , but to go all link Nazi is overboard.

Every bike should come with a complete service manual. The manuals are only useful to someone that owns a Kawasaki and that has paid Kawasaki money and supported them. The owner manual that comes with the bike only serves to tell you that anything apart from washing the bike should be performed at an authorized service center. ($$$ Ka-ching $$$).

Not looking to start a bare knuckle rumble in the sand box here...... (if nothing else, thanks for the vent).

Spyglass

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
The key word in all of that is "copyrighted" and there are legal aspects involved with links to that sort of material.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
They have to protect themselves from law suits. And I agree with you. You should get the book with a new purchase. But they want you to bring it back to them for service so they can make more money. I bought the paper copy and yeah it was expensive but it was worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah you are probably right.... I am more of a "better to ask for forgiveness that to beg for permission" sort of guy. I can not see Kawasaki having enough interest, time, or willing to risk the bad press / customer relations in persuing an action against the use of a service manual.

Out of interest what was the service manual worth (I know for some vehicles you can buy a 3rd party for $35 or pay $100 for one from the manufacturer)

Thanks,

Spyglass

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
It's fine to post links to places where you can BUY a manual. But we won't let anyone post links to places where people share copyrighted material for free.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I bought a Clymer manual for my bike right after I bought the bike in 81 for around $25 I think (too long ago to be sure), but I bought a factory manual for it 2 years ago on ebay for $20.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
It's really not much to spend when you consider what you paid for your bike and your gear.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
It would be nice if Kawasaki still had the manuals for all the models on CD available for purchase. NO manual was available for my 85 ZN700. I first bought a Haynes manual on shaft drive bikes of that era, but it did not cover my model. After several months, a factory manual appeared on ebay and I jumped on it. Both are decent manuals. Each has some information that the other does not have. Including shipping, I ended up spending close to a hundred bucks on manuals.

·
Loud Pipes Keep Me Awake
1,648 Posts
The question I have for people wanting these things for free is, how would you feel if your boss told you your paycheck was zero because the product of your work had been given away for free?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The question I have for people wanting these things for free is, how would you feel if your boss told you your paycheck was zero because the product of your work had been given away for free?
There is always two ways to look at anything. Kawasaki has to produce the service manuals (whether they sell them or not) for their service people (you didn't think the monkeys on the wrenches were just winging it ?) Nobody is doing anything for free or being shorted out of a paycheck.
Providing the information (preferably on the web site) allows owners to understand the product they bought, how to best look after it, and decide what level of service they wish to obtain from their dealer. Knowledge is key.... not power.

Many owners do not have service centers or easy access to a competent shop in their area. The 3rd party aftermarket manuals often contain significant errors. An online manual from the manufacturer would ensure that the customer gets the right information, the product has a better chance to be maintained, and a relationship between the manufacture and customer is maintained. Service aspects and bulletins could be updated (easy on line, and more efficiently than a physical paper booklet). In today's reality, people expect to get whatever information they need on a product they have purchased. Bike manufactures (not just pointing a finger at Kawasaki) are just out of step with the times and what consumers want.

[once you turn this thing on ...... you can not turn it off...... and you can never go back !!!!]:)

Spyglass

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
It would be nice if Kawasaki and other bike makers at least offered the factory manual with the bike and to be included as part of the price of the bike. I know there are some that would not or could not attempt to do any repairs on their own bike and the manual would not be much use to them. But there are multiple ways to look at that option also. They could get xx dollars deducted from the agreed on price if they elected afterward to not take the manual or just consider it part of the paperwork that changed hands with the ownership of the bike. The problem I have with copyrighted material is that after it is no longer produced as an available product and is not a source of income for the writer, anyone wanting to acquire a copy has limited options and might even be out of luck completely. In that sort of situation, I think the copyright should be revoked and the product becomes public property or something along those lines.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
just think of all the dealership costs you'll save by spending $35 on a service manual.

don't be so tight!!
:lol:

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
No service manual? Are you kidding? That is why I signed-on today.
I don't know if you're being facetious, but...

It'd be nice if Kawasaki (and other motorcycle makers) put their manuals online for free. I think they should. But until they do, it's illegal to share copyrighted material. This forum is owned by a Kawasaki dealer, and you can't expect him to risk damaging his relationship with mother Kaw by letting people do so.

I agree with Steve. $40 is nothing compared to what it costs to take your bike into the shop. Well worth the investment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts