Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, sorry but this will bore many of u. i bought a zx6r g1 saturday and have decided that the bike could do with a full service so that i can start afresh. problem is, i don't have a kawasaki handbook / manual so don't know the correct parts that i should be buying ie spark plugs and oil type / grade. any info u could supply will be much appreciated

·
Registered
71 Posts
How many miles has she done ?
When you say a full service are you going to do the valve clearances ??

Haynes manual for you model is 3541 and would be worth getting if you intend to do most or all of the Servicing and Repairs.

Spark plugs standard are NGK CR9E or you can fit NGK CR9EK (Twin electrodes) or NGK CR9EVX (platinum tip)

Oil filter has number changed to Kawasaki part 16097-1072 Tighten to 20nm.

Oil use a good brand such as Rock oil, Silkoleen etc 10/40w Semi Synthetic.. DO NOT use Fully Synthetic you can end up with the clutch slipping. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that is a big help, thanx. the bike has just under 15k. it sounds sweet and runs smooth so will prob leave the cam shims till the next service.

·
Registered
71 Posts
A quick note about the Valve Clearances..

Kawasaki recommend they are checked and adjusted as required at 8000 miles (12800km)
If you have no service history then they may not have been done..

It's not the ones you can hear that are the problem it's the ones you can't as they can be tight clearances that eventually lead to valves being held open...
:( :( :(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the bike had full service history up until 13k ( ish ). so do kawasaki recommend checking valve clearences EVERY 8k? if so, i will check them :cry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts