Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a 1980 ltd 250 and it dont run, i was woundering if anyone new how to set the timing plate and points, the last guy removed them and i dont know how to set them...thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hi its me again...didnt get any help yet, think everyones on vacation....here goes , i got this 1980 kawasaki kz 250 ltd out of a barn and its got 3000 miles on it ,when i found it, it had water in the tank and carb, and points cover and plate where remove, and had no battery....and air filter cover, and the pipe was cut of to put straight exhaust on....so it is loud...ok cleaned tank with acid wash an rinsed with 2 cycle oil, brokedown carb and cleaned, plug and cleaned points.new oil..ok set iming to the best of my knowledge....and she runs....but she skips and pops, and the motor sounds pretty loud and thats even with the loud exhuast.and i cant get it to idle below 1700rpm and it revs up and down on it own...i dont know if this bike is normally loud or what, i found a new muffler but before i buy anything else, i would like to know what you guys think....Here's a video of my barn girl she has a loose conection on the starter as you will see

·
Registered
522 Posts
Hello Cruzroy, she doesn't sound as bad as i was expecting :)

Are you working from a manual?

Did you set the points gap to about 0.4mm?

Are the points opening at roughly the 'F' mark?

Have you got a meter, or a bulb and battery test circuit?

Have you got a strobe-light?

More questions later :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
she doesn't sound as bad as i was expecting (seems a little loud)
Are you working from a manual? (no but i just found 1 on ebay) its on its way

Did you set the points gap to about 0.4mm? (no but now i know......but is it .4mm at the T mark or F mark) and i thought the f mark meant fire....so should the points be closed..

Are the points opening at roughly the 'F' mark? (if i adjust them too)+(i dont know where to set the point plate...there is a "0" on the plate...i assume i line it up with the horizontal casting????)

Have you got a meter, or a bulb and battery test circuit? (yes)volt meter

Have you got a strobe-light? (Yes but i need to make a piece of plexi...so i dont get sprayed with oil....but when i tested today..and got wet.the marks where bouncing around...caz i cant get idle stable)

More questions later :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
.but is it .4mm at the T mark or F mark) and i thought the f mark meant fire....so should the points be closed..
0.4 is the maximum they should open, set this first, your manual will guide you through it. Then you should set your multimeter up to test for the 'points opening' (timing) which will be at or close to the 'F' mark, adjust it to this mark. To adjust this move the complete points-assembly or the whole backplate if you can't achieve that.

Once you get this done you should have an idle stable enough to test timing with the strobe which should show 'F' at idle and || at higher revs (3500rpm-ish).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got my new (old) exhaust....put it all together and still have erratic idle, but I noticed if I spray starting fluid towards the carb manifold....the bikes idle rise's and goes crazy....question....is there supposed to be a gasket between the head and manifold or silicone (rtv) ...rtv would be hard to install because the easiest way to get carb in is to have manifold on carb during install, and the rtv would slip off.....and suggestions...thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts