Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up an '88 model 250 Eliminator, and finding a tech book such as Clymer or Haynes has proved to be difficult. I want to check, or set if needed, the timing, but I have no idea how this is achieved on this bike, or even where to look. I don't know where the timing marks are located and even if I did, I wouldn't know how to adjust. Any help would be appreciated.

Richard

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
TIMING

YOu should not need to adjust the timing. Although you can effectively change the timing by not adjusting your spark plugs to the proper gap. If they are brownish in color then you are running really great. Clean the airfilter or replace it and if you are looking for a better plug go to the dealer and buy the newest ones that provide a better spark, and keep old ones as backups...incase you manage to foul one of them. Set the plug, they may even do this at the dealership for you, and then be careful NOT to over torque it when re-installing it. If you have an aftermarket exhaust or even a better aftermarket air breather you may need to readjust the carbs for a richer mixture...and the bike will run much better. IF you don't know for sure what you are doing and have no one else there to help you, then have a talk with the mechanics at the dealership, and ask them what you need to do. You may decide to have them do the work. Changing hte timing is not something that you will normally ever have to do on a bike like yours. If it fails it is usually catastophic (?) and won't run at all.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts