Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 250R Ninja 2007. I am not a small person, and am riding at near max limit of bike.

I am concerned about tire pressure for handling max load.

The standard Dunlops say max load f/r 36/36 psi on tires.

Kawasaki says 28/32 psi.

Dunlop site says 36/40 for touring bikes for max load.

Aside from dieting, what would be a good pressure?

I am thinkin 34/36 .

But will bow to wiser heads.

·
Luv my big boy toys
1,490 Posts
While I don't know what the exact pressure is for your bike, the "MAX TIRE PRESSURE" on the tire is just that, the maximum pressure. You also have the same label on all tires, including you car. That does not mean you fill your tires to the max listed under normal circumstances. On a passenger vehicle the recommended tire pressure is on your one of your door panels as well as in the owners manual. For example, the tire says 35 max, but the sticker might say something like "28psi under normal load/32 with X lbs" And the fronts and rears might or might not be the same pressure. I see way too many people putting air in their cars after looking at the tire, not the sticker.
Over inflated tires will wear the center more, under inflated will wear the outer more, as well as making your car feel a little loose and/or cause more tire squeal.
When tire manufactures make a tire, they usually are generic so that the same tire might be used on a heavy sedan or lighter coupe and the max is like their speed rating, you might put "Z" rated (150mph+) tires on your Civic but do you really think that it will top 150?
Normally you should fill your tires to the vehicle manufacturers pressure but some people get a better ride by increasing the pressure, then you should not exceed the tire manufacturers max pressure.
My 1600 says 28/36 but that's for a little guy, solo. I have it set at 39/39psi.
Check Gadgets page for some more info on this, look at the section on "Tire Air Pressure", he has a list of common tire manufacturers websites and help numbers to help you find recommendations for your combination.
Also, your tire pressure will drop in cooler weather, rise in warmer weather so you'll have to adjust if the temps rise or fall.

Tire FAQ

More hashing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts