Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Obsessed Biker
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Cruiser Customizing sells shaft oil ?
I can't seem to find it on their site.

Well, since I'm already typing, is it a messy job changing shaft oil? I have a Vulcan 1500 Classic FI. I'm preparing to get her ready for the season.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Mark.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Changing that oil is an easy job and need not be a messy one. You don't need a special "shaft" oil. Look in your owner's manual and it probably says you need an API GL-5 rated gear oil. Many of us use synthetic but it is not necessary. A 75-90 wt. ^ oil will work just fine. Follow the OM for instructions.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Do you mean the shaft, or the final drive?

The final drive or "differential" is, as Idaho said, simple.
I use Mobil-1 75w140, but I do a lot of 2-up riding in very hot weather.
75w90 is fine for solo riding, and better for cooler temps.

Put the bike on a lift, or block the kickstand up with a brick or a wooden block, drain the old (pull the small bottom bolt first, then after some oil drains out, remove the big plug to allow it to vent and drain faster). Put the plug back in the bottom, and refill until the oil is even with the threads in the fill hole.

Be careful, if you squeeze the oil in too quickly, it will "build up" and run out prematurely.... happens to me all the time. When it starts coming out, I stop, wipe it down, wait a few seconds, then start adding more oil until I can just feel it with my finger inside the threads.

The shaft itself DOES need to be lubricated, but it involves removing the rear wheel. The shaft lube and swingarm lube are good projects for when you need to remove the wheel to install a new tire.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
i hate the smell but i used

Gear Saver

Hypoid Gear Oil 80w-90

easy to change as already posted, I changed my final drive oil every other engine oil change...I'm a fan of clean oil

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I use the oil from Kawasaki in the white bottle. I change it every other oil change. I put Mobile 1, 75-140 syynthetic in it one time at 15K and developed a seal leak,so even though it may have been coincidental,I got paranoid and used the OEM oil.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts