Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2008 1500 Classic I would like to use the front peg for upshifting. Only problem is the spline adjustment is too low in one position and too high in the next position. Does anyone know of anyway to modify the shift arm or peg to get a little finer adjustment?

Thanks for the help.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Move it up and add a Kuryakyn shift peg cover to it (#8851):

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rich, if I move it up then you have to lift your foot to downshift- uncomfortable. You can't rest your heel on the floorboard and reach the peg with the front of your foot. Making the peg fatter only helps with the upshift and makes reaching the top of the peg worse.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
True, but the splines are the only adjustment.

The only other solution (other than getting used to the heel shift... I didn't use mine for well over a year) is to buy boots with a shorter toe... if you're wearing steel toe boots, go with regular toe boots.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I absolutely LOVE the heel-toe shifter. It's one of the best things about moving up from the 800, IMHO. It took me about a week to get used to it, but now I'd never go back to a regular toe shifter. Give it a chance and see if you can learn to like it.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Actually, they can be adjusted. There's a connecting rod that's tucked up under the floorboard with little jamb nuts on each end. Loosen the jamb nuts and you can make fine adjustment to lever positioning. You can get to the shaft without disassembling anything and, if you're not careful and go too far, you can adjust it to the point where you won't be able to shift and will have to de-adjust it. As I recall, the rear jamb nut is a left hand thread...I think...probably.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
I have the heel toe shifter on all my bikes, and I never use the heel. I like the toe for up and down shifting :oops:

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I used to use the toe all the time when I was riding with work boots and didn't care about the wear on the toe.
After my wife bought me a nice pair of Redwings for Christmas, I learned REAL quick to use the heel.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
I used to use the toe all the time when I was riding with work boots and didn't care about the wear on the toe.
After my wife bought me a nice pair of Redwings for Christmas, I learned REAL quick to use the heel.
Good decision Rich. I have some riding boots that I usually wear that are "well worn" and I don't care. In your case, I would learn to use the heel too :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts