Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 99 220 bayou, had couple small leaks, noticed was hard to kick shift into first. All other gears ok. Took motor out and is sitting on bench. Replaced gaskets, while i had it open called kawasaki they advised on the shifting issue to replace primary and secondary clutch and the 4 springs. So i did made all adjustments, all shifting mech looks ok. Everything went back no prob. Try to shift it by hand on the bench before setting back in, and it has a mind of its own sometimes will shift into first let it sit for a while come back try to shift and just get a click. on off on off shifting. Can anyone advise? Thanks.

·
Registered
628 Posts
The transmission uses a sequential shift pattern utilizing constant mesh gears and square drive dogs. The secondary clutch has to be spinning just a hair in order to get consistent shifting on the work bench.

Once the engine is running the drag between the crankshaft and outer primary clutch drum is enough to "load" the secondary clutch and input shaft of the transmission allowing the dogs to shift right into place. If you have the case sitting on the work bench, have a buddy turn the secondary clutch slowly while you try the shift pattern. If everything in between the cases is in order, you should be able to shift flawlessly. If everything between the cases is not in order, you'll have to pull the top end off and split the cases to repair.

The latter isn't a bad option if you intend to either #1 sell it quickly to recoup the costs or #2 keep it forever so cost isn't an issue as long as it keeps running.

You'll need a flywheel puller, gasket set, and new rings if you split the cases. All of that can be had for about $150 (plus the replacement parts of course) and you'll have a flywheel puller forevermore in case you ever need to go back into the case for any reason again ;-)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bud unfortunately he turned it slowly and again it shifted smooth through a few times then at times would just click and not shift Ill think on it about goin any further. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thinkin about goin ahead and breakin it down but dont want to put the carriage before the horse. Any other "tests" I can do to try and pinpoint the area of or the prob itself? Its a great bike no rust put all new shoes on it runs fantastic, no noise, just the wanna shift when i want to issue.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Well, you can pull the shifting mechanism off and turn the shift drum over by hand. Everything else is inbetween the cases.

Remove the primary and secondary clutches and the shift shaft. The end of the shift shaft looks like a set of bulls horns that rides on a squished flat spider. The squished flat spider (or change drum cam :)) is what turns the shift drum. If that doesn't allow you to shift into each gear smoothly (while turning the shaft the secondary clutch is on of course) there is a problem with the transmission or shifting assembly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts