Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike: A 2000 Vulcan 800 Classic with the stock gear shift lever. The bike also has Cobra floorboards on it. I have adjusted the linkage arm, and moved the shift lever on the gear shift shaft at the tranny area to get more space for my toe area to go under the gear shift lever arm (the part you pull up on with your toes). It's still too tight in that area, probably because of the floorboard. Could/would anyone suggest another shift lever to use which would give more space in that area, and does anyone know of a larger shift lever arm that does not dig into my toes? Someone mentioned to me of a shift mechanism that uses your toe to go into first, and heel to get the higher gears, I cannot find one on the net. Maybe someone out there knows of one. Thanks, David

·
Custom '07 1500 Classic
1,737 Posts
We've never done this but it's possible you could use the Heel/Toe shifter setup from a 800 Drifter. You would probably need to do some fabricating to get the job done but it looks doable.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll look at that one. I'm a retired machinist with 38 years of it behind me. I've sat, looked, and thought as to how to make one. But, I would want it chromed, and that would be problem. I'll check on the Drifter set-up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bike: A 2000 Vulcan 800 Classic with the stock gear shift lever. The bike also has Cobra floorboards on it. I have adjusted the linkage arm, and moved the shift lever on the gear shift shaft at the tranny area to get more space for my toe area to go under the gear shift lever arm (the part you pull up on with your toes). It's still too tight in that area, probably because of the floorboard. Could/would anyone suggest another shift lever to use which would give more space in that area, and does anyone know of a larger shift lever arm that does not dig into my toes? Someone mentioned to me of a shift mechanism that uses your toe to go into first, and heel to get the higher gears, I cannot find one on the net. Maybe someone out there knows of one. Thanks, David
I have the Kuryakyn ISO boards on my 800 Classic and have the same problem with my new boots. Are you saying that the position of the gear shift lever is adjustable? If so, what's the procedure for adjusting it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
GET THE HEAL SHIFTER!! I have one .. all Shifting issues disappeared. 1-2 Grinding is gone. A much more positive / affirmative shift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts