Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to find someonewith experience installing a shift shaft on a mean streak or vulcan with similar frame/engine configuration. The outer shift shaft that you mount the shifter pedal to. I have the alternator cover off, but the shift shaft is still wedged between the engine and frame. Do I need to jack up the engine a bit to get it out? I'm putting in a longer shift shaft from a Nomad because it's longer for doing Nomad brackets and floorboards on the mean streak. If anyone has any experience with this, please share. This is way more work than I thought it was going to be.
My bike is an '06 Mean Streak
Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm not sure, maybe this will help.....

I'm hoping to find someonewith experience installing a shift shaft on a mean streak or vulcan with similar frame/engine configuration. The outer shift shaft that you mount the shifter pedal to. I have the alternator cover off, but the shift shaft is still wedged between the engine and frame. Do I need to jack up the engine a bit to get it out? I'm putting in a longer shift shaft from a Nomad because it's longer for doing Nomad brackets and floorboards on the mean streak. If anyone has any experience with this, please share. This is way more work than I thought it was going to be.
My bike is an '06 Mean Streak
Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I have the schematics down. The problem is that the piece that needs to be removed is between the bike frame and engine. I know others have done this mod so I didn't realize it would be such a big task to swap out. I'm hoping someone who's done it can give me some tips.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
No, I have the schematics down. The problem is that the piece that needs to be removed is between the bike frame and engine. I know others have done this mod so I didn't realize it would be such a big task to swap out. I'm hoping someone who's done it can give me some tips.
It's been 7 years since I added it to mine. Though, I can't recall step by step, I can say with certainty, I did not need to move, adjust, shimmy, etc. any part of the engine from the frame. I don't know what year your bike is, but I can't imagine they would have made any changes to make it more difficult. I also recall completing the job in less than an hour and that was draining the oil because someone told me that's what I had to do first, which wasn't the case.

There has to be a way to finagle the shaft in there without moving the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, 'finagle' is the key word here. According to the Kawi manual, it said you had to 'remove the engine'. That's what got me scared. It was a royal PITA to do this, but it just required patience working in a tight area unscrewing that shift link rod between the shift shafts and then working it out by pushing, pulling, prodding. I can see why they said change the oil because I lost probably 1/2 quart when I took the alternator case off. I did this with the bike on it's side stand, so perhaps if it was level I wouldn't have lost any oil. Thanks for the info though, I knew at least a few others have done this mod because that's where I got the idea!

There has to be a way to finagle the shaft in there without moving the engine.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am not sure if its diffrent from mine being an 06 but I just Installed the brackets and floorboards from a 06 nomad on my 03 meanie. I did not have to change the shifter. I just had to change the brake pedel. Everything else was a direct bolt on. took me 45 mins to put it all on. My shift pedel is in the perfect spot with out change or adjustment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The difference is that you bought brackets from an '06 Nomad and I got chrome brackets made for an '02-'03 Classic, '02-'04 Nomad or something like that. Anyway, I've seen pics of the brackets you have and there is a dip in the top of the bracket to go under the shift shaft and shift lever. On mine, it's just straight only leaving enough room for the shift shaft but not the actual shift lever. Now I need to hunt down some chrome or silver bolts to match the brackets instead of the stock black ones I have now.

I am not sure if its diffrent from mine being an 06 but I just Installed the brackets and floorboards from a 06 nomad on my 03 meanie. I did not have to change the shifter. I just had to change the brake pedel. Everything else was a direct bolt on. took me 45 mins to put it all on. My shift pedel is in the perfect spot with out change or adjustment.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yep, 'finagle' is the key word here. According to the Kawi manual, it said you had to 'remove the engine'. That's what got me scared. It was a royal PITA to do this, but it just required patience working in a tight area unscrewing that shift link rod between the shift shafts and then working it out by pushing, pulling, prodding. I can see why they said change the oil because I lost probably 1/2 quart when I took the alternator case off. I did this with the bike on it's side stand, so perhaps if it was level I wouldn't have lost any oil. Thanks for the info though, I knew at least a few others have done this mod because that's where I got the idea!
Thanks for the tip about the oil. I was told it didn't have to be drained, but as I stated, I already did so anyway. Therefore, the original "must be drained" info was correct.

Glad you finally got it. You'll enjoy the heel/toe assembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate to dig up this old thread but I've done my share of reading through the plethora of forums only to find myself further in the pits on what I need for this same mod. I have an 07 mean streak currently with mapam forward controls, but due to a severed sciatic nerve in my left leg I can no longer upshift by the normal means. I don't have any of my old brackets or levers as I did the forward controls a few years back and many moves ago. If someone with experience could point me in the right direction, as far as a place that sells complete bracket/floor board assemblies for the nomads I'd appreciate it. All my looking has either led to discontinued parts (MCEnterprises) or purchasing of bolts, brackets, and gaskets piece by piece from the likes of kawasakipartshouse.com or similar. Thanks in advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts