Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, Im new to oth the forum and riding. In fact I havent even taken the safety course yet. In my area its booked up until 2005. Anyways I have a 1982 750 ltd 4 cylinder. I am learning or trying to learn about shifting gears, but I have a question. I know that the first down is first, then up is neutral, up again is 2nd, up for3rd, and so on. My question is though, when I go into first i can feel the gear kick in. Again when it goes into nuetral i can tell cause i can move the bike back and forth without the clutch, but i cant get it into 2nd or higher. What am i doing wrong? Again I want to take the course but its filled till next year. any other ideas? I will wait my time but that bike is calling me. Thanks

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome sarpup! glad you found us :wink:

the upshift from 1st to 2nd is the hardest shift to make on most bikes
assuming the tranny is in good working order just hit second with
authority and firmly and quickly making a slow shift from 1st 2nd will
be noisy and clunky if done slowly and sissylike :lol: :wink:

·
VRA National President
203 Posts
Are you having a problem shifting into 2nd while standing still with the bike not running, standing still with the bike running, or while riding?

It strikes my recollection that there can be some pretty heavy resistance on an older bike shifting into 2nd with the bike running but at a dead stop. Maybe my clutch needed adjusting. That was a long time ago. :?:

Anyway, if the bike is moving in 1st gear and you try shifting into 2nd with the clutch the whole way in, it should slip right into 2nd gear with a quick firm push up with your toe.

I recommend finding a friend who rides who will work with you in a safe empty parking lot. Learning from forums will be a slow way to go...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gears

Actually yea while sitting still i trieed to get it into second and it wouldnt really go, so I drove it in my driveway and it went right into second. So I guess this sounds right. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
694 Posts
if it is like the newer bikes it has a positive neutral finder. While sitting still it shouldn't go past neutral into secind gear

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wish my '01 800B had that. I click right past neutral all the time. Sometimes more than once. Must look like a mook going back and forth.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I don't know what year they started the positive neutral finder. My 2003 Vulcan 800A has it, mabe a new feature in 2003...? It does make it nice when stopped at some long red lights to pop it right into neutral with no problem, instead of holding the clutch for the whole light.

·
Registered
458 Posts
PickYourPockets said:
Wish my '01 800B had that. I click right past neutral all the time. Sometimes more than once. Must look like a mook going back and forth.
I had the Positive Neutral Finder on my 2001 800A. Worked great.

·
VRA National President
203 Posts
My girlfriend just bought a Honda Shadow Aero 750 and neither one of us can get neutral without three attempts. VERY ANNOYING! (And she hates how it make her look like a newbie). based on Aero messageboards that she reads, this is apparently a prevalent problem with Hondas in general.

Ugh!!! That would be enough to make me want to return the bike and get another. I hit neutral on my 2002 800A without even thinking about it (at 90% of stoplights).

·
Registered
244 Posts
Too true ipsc. I have a friend who's been riding for ~40 years without a single wreck. He's a Bimmer guy now, and has a classic '68 Triumph Bonnie. Those kick starts are cool. Anyway, he said he was sitting at a light in NoCal one day when he looked in his mirror and saw someone coming way too fast. A second later the car was screeching rubber on the asphalt and Rich dumped the clutch and took off, saving him from screeching along the pavement. Dump the clutch in neutral, and well, you can picture the result. I usually try to keep an eye on the car behind me now, just in case.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Second gear

I have a KZ 1000 P14. As far as I know all KZ1000 p's have a three ball setup on the output shaft that prevent shifting from neutral to second unless the output shaft is turning. I believe this has been used since at least 1982.

·
VRA National President
203 Posts
ipscshooter said:
From a safety standpoint you should be in 1st gear at a light. :shock:
My dad was always big on the notion of putting your bike in neutral at stop lights to "save wear on the clutch". I suspect that concern is a holdover from the old days but I got in the habit anyway. He was a bike and car mechanic for years so I generally take his word on that kind of thing.

Has anyone heard anything like that?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Slicks said:
My dad was always big on the notion of putting your bike in neutral at stop lights to "save wear on the clutch".
Has anyone heard anything like that?
I haven't ever heard that. I would also sometimes put a car in neutral, but that was just lazy. Some of those old clutches used to be pretty heavy.

The wear and tear on a clutch occurs during engagement and disengagement going through the friction zone, as long as you hold the cluth in you are not in that zone, hence no wear.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

yep slick - i've heard that back in the day :p

seems like it was something about saving bearings on the old car clutches

·
Registered
458 Posts
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
yep slick - i've heard that back in the day :p

seems like it was something about saving bearings on the old car clutches
Might help the throw out bearing some. I sure lost a few of those in my '64 "Goat". :lol: :wink:

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

**** :shock: the car that started it all!!! :wink:

sorry for the hijack :roll:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just picked up a 97 kz1000p. I've always been accustomed to clutching through every gear up and down. I just accidentally hit the gear up and no clutch no apparent problem. is this safe. I read somewhere that this bike could do that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts