Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 03 KX 125 and the first thing I did was replace the air filter, spark plug and engine oil. Well after I changed the engine oil I used Honda brand 10W- 40 SJ and now I can't get it to shift past second. Prior to the oil change is was shifting fine. That's the only difference.

I tried changing the again with the same result. I'd did go back and adjust the free play so now my next guess is clutch plates. Are there any additives or different oil I can use before I take it to the shop?

·
Registered
917 Posts
that doesnt sound cool. hmmm, you tried to turn/rock the rear whell back and forth with motor off to get it to shift from 2nd to 3rd?

you didn't really describe your encounter. The shifter doesn't move up or when you let the clutch out nothing happens or what?

ATF F type F trans fluid is cheap and can be found at auto store. That's what i'd try to test the clutch/trans. Must be TYPE F. Your clutch plates will grab like crazy and if they dont then there's the problem.

Are the clutch basket fingers grooved? (Sometime you can look through oil fill hole to see them.)

I would think SJ, SF, SG 10w-40 would be fine though, but i always ask what changed?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah when I pull the clutch in and try to shift to 3rd nothing happens won't shift up at all. It like I'm in the top gear. Haven't pulled anything apart yet. I will try the type f. So do you mix it with the engine oil or do you use straight trans fluid. Thanks

·
Registered
917 Posts
i worked in a factory where we did warranty rebuilds of transmissions for Toyota/Lexus and Volvo/Saab. How many auto transmissions you worked on before? When I left I was the inspector of all internal parts except the throttle body. I know what an auto trans clutch plate looks like.

Point is you can easily find high HP Banshee owners that use nothing but Type F. You think after spending that much time and money they are gonna use the wrong oil. The great oil debate never ends.

There are many discussions about Type F, just not here.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I just bought a used 03 KX 125 and the first thing I did was replace the air filter, spark plug and engine oil. Well after I changed the engine oil I used Honda brand 10W- 40 SJ and now I can't get it to shift past second. Prior to the oil change is was shifting fine. That's the only difference.

I tried changing the again with the same result. I'd did go back and adjust the free play so now my next guess is clutch plates. Are there any additives or different oil I can use before I take it to the shop?
You changing the tranny oil has nothing to do with your new issue of not being able to shift past second IMO, I think purely by coincidence the tranny problem surfaced right after an oil change. Do you feel positive spring return action within the shift lever ?

·
Registered
13 Posts

haha how many of us have done that once or twice ...okay take out the oil go buy so 5 w30 its lean and will make your bike run ritch giving that transmission room to change gears if you have to thick oil it will do that so run some 5 w30 in it ..she will be running like a top!

·
Registered
917 Posts
haha how many of us have done that once or twice ...okay take out the oil go buy so 5 w30 its lean and will make your bike run ritch giving that transmission room to change gears if you have to thick oil it will do that so run some 5 w30 in it ..she will be running like a top!
The terms rich and lean are not used when referring to the transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You changing the tranny oil has nothing to do with your new issue of not being able to shift past second IMO, I think purely by coincidence the tranny problem surfaced right after an oil change. Do you feel positive spring return action within the shift lever ?
Yeah it has good spring return. I tried adjusting the cluth take up too. I bought the bike used and it shifted fine. I figured I'd change the oil, spark plug and air filter just so everything would be tip top. But after that oil change it didn't shift the same.

I tired the Type F then tried to move from neutral to first with the engine off didn't seem to loosen up at all. So I drained it an put 10W-40 back in. Was a little too scared to try an start it with something other than oil in it. Pretty new to 2 stroke dirt bikes.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Does the bike "jump" when trying to shift to the next gear ? You might have warped steel driven clutch plates. This will cause all sorts of sticky clutch, and shifting problems. Is the clutch action smooth and consistant?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.