Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, but I hope you guys can help me. :)

I have just purchased this bike and it was sitting for quite a while. It did not run when I got it. I have changed all fluids, replaced spark plug, disassembled and cleaned carb, and replaced about 20 bolts that were missing. I got it running great, except for shifting. It seems hard to engage in any gear. And the most concerning is that it slips out of 4th gear. If you want 4th, you have to hold the shift lever up???? And also with reverse, if you do not hit the throttle quickly, it does not stay in reverse???? :cry: :cry: :cry:

Any ideas on what to do, I really don't want to have to split the cases if i don't have to :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
142 Posts
first try adjusting the clutch. There is a cover on the right engine cover that you remove and there is a stud with a nut on it. Loosen the nut and turn the stud in all the way with a regular screwdriver. then back it out all the way and then turn it back in about 1/4 to 1/2 turn, tighten nut again and ride. If that doesnt fix it then most likely you have a bent shift fork in the transmission.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joey,

I have adjusted the clutch, the previous owner had it screwed almost all the way in. It did seem to help with the very hard shifting, but its still not right. every now and then, it takes quite alot to get it to shift. High gear still pops out, but works if I hold up on the shift lever(will this cause damage?). Do you think the shift fork would be causing all these problems, and how much labor is involved in replacing one. I have decent mechanical skills on 2 stroke atv's but have never busted the case apart :?: :oops: :oops:

·
Registered
1 Posts
me too!

I just bought a 1995 Bayou 400 4x4 that may be doing the same thing. I don't know if it was 3rd or 4th gear, but it would start to rev....then I'd have to push it back to 3rd or 4th gear. I believe it was 4th gear. The bike I bought (2 days ago) was sitting up for a while, it still had the original tires on it. They still had half the tread left!

How did you fix this? Did the clutch adjustment thingy work? Was it something else, if so, how much did it cost and what was it?

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated, as this bike is for my fiancee. She already thinks I spent too much on it, I have not told her about it slipping out of gear. She'll figure it out pretty fast if I can't fix it. DOH!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a 1995 Bayou 400 4x4 that may be doing the same thing. I don't know if it was 3rd or 4th gear, but it would start to rev....then I'd have to push it back to 3rd or 4th gear. I believe it was 4th gear. The bike I bought (2 days ago) was sitting up for a while, it still had the original tires on it. They still had half the tread left!

How did you fix this? Did the clutch adjustment thingy work? Was it something else, if so, how much did it cost and what was it?

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated, as this bike is for my fiancee. She already thinks I spent too much on it, I have not told her about it slipping out of gear. She'll figure it out pretty fast if I can't fix it. DOH!

did you ever fix this? i have a 94 400 bayou doing the same thing, popping out of gear!

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Take a look at the parts diagrams on Kawasaki.com. Pay attention to the shift drum and the smashed spider cam change unit. There is a center bolt that tends to work loose and allow the cam unit to shift around and let the shift drum roll and snap between gears.

It could also be the linkage, but usually it is that bolt has worked loose on the drum gear change cam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts