Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I am coming to a stop...if I pull in the clutch and just coast...say in 3rd gear...and slowly brake without shifting down to first gear...after I am stopped I am finding it very difficult to find first gear or more importantly, nuetral.

When I shift down to first gear in anticipation of coming to a near complete stop...I never have a problem getting there. Is this normal? Does the gearbox sense whther I am stopped or not somehow?

I know the easy remedy is to always shift down o first gear in anticipation of needing it...just curious if there is a potential problem.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
If you get stopped and aren't in 1st, let the clutch out to the friction point and let the motorcycle surge a little and you should be able to drop it into 1st.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you get stopped and aren't in 1st, let the clutch out to the friction point and let the motorcycle surge a little and you should be able to drop it into 1st.
Yes...definitely did that...but it still seemed a bit awkward. I'm straight now.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
Totally normal. Motorcycle transmissions don't like being shifted while the bike isn't moving, especially through more than 1 gear. You should always be in first gear when you come to a stop. It's a safety issue too; if you're stopped in 3rd and you need to take off in a hurry, you're screwed.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
if you're stopped in 3rd and you need to take off in a hurry, you're screwed.
Unless you've got a V2K... then you're going somewhere in a BIG hurry :biggrin:

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Unless you've got a V2K... then you're going somewhere in a BIG hurry :biggrin:
I started in 3rd once, kind of forgot to shift down as I was slowing for the light. I went to pull away and thought something was a little amiss with things. She pulled away though.

99.9% of the time I downshift as I slow down, this assures me the bike is always in the right gear in case I have to make an emergency GTFOOTW (get the fudge out of the way) manouver.

·
Mark in Houston
331 Posts
+1 Shift down while moving or its a problem. If can't do so, then after stop hold the brake and ease the clutch just a bit and downsfit some more.
Six months ago this ate my lunch and I could never get into first or neutral. Haven't had problem since letting the clutch out a bit between downshifts...not enough to engage, but enough to get the gears spinning

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies guys already have the right way in my repitoire...did not do it wrong once today on about 50 minutes of suburban riding. Much obliged.

·
07 Black 900 Custom
547 Posts
Totally normal. Motorcycle transmissions don't like being shifted while the bike isn't moving, especially through more than 1 gear. You should always be in first gear when you come to a stop. It's a safety issue too; if you're stopped in 3rd and you need to take off in a hurry, you're screwed.
Do you mind explaining to me what would happen if I am stopped and in 3rd gear and need to take off in a hurry???...

I am not very good with my gear shifting and that is what I have been practicing on my days off and when I have time....feels as if I am never going to get it right :(

·
Registered
588 Posts
You'll probably stall it unless you let up the clutch reeeeeaaaaly slowly, which defeats the point os taking off quickly.

·
Giggidy-Giggidy-Goo!
1,623 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys already have the right way in my repitoire...did not do it wrong once today on about 50 minutes of suburban riding. Much obliged.
Forum rules ...you cannot learn the right way until we have a minimum of 2 pages worth of posts. Please go back to doing it the wrong way until we have sufficiently reached the required number of responses. Thanks!

Do you mind explaining to me what would happen if I am stopped and in 3rd gear and need to take off in a hurry???...
You will let the clutch out expecting to go and your engine will die. Depending on the reason why you need to take off in a hurry, this could be a bad thing to happen as you will be going nowhere fast. At idle, or nearly idle, engine rpms aren't sufficient enough to get a bike moving in 3rd gear.

A 3rd shift start can be done by experienced riders, but it is sufficiently dangerous and not for the timid. You can almost guarantee no traction on the rear wheel from the very beginning. On a motorcycle, ANY loss of traction on your rear wheel has the potential to cause a "tank slapper". This is where the rear wheel will slide side to side from lack of traction, then will catch traction suddenly, more often than not when it is no longer in line with the front wheel. The sudden jolt of this manuever can cause the rider to 'highside' in one direction (fly off the bike in the path of travel previous to when the wheel grabbed traction) and the bike to go another (the path of travel after the wheel grabbed traction).

I hear, though, that if you are able to stay on the bike for 8 seconds, you get a free belt buckle.

I am not very good with my gear shifting and that is what I have been practicing on my days off and when I have time....feels as if I am never going to get it right :(
It will get easier with practice. Before long, you will be down-shifting without even realizing you are doing it. Hang in there.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forum rules ...you cannot learn the right way until we have a minimum of 2 pages worth of posts. Please go back to doing it the wrong way until we have sufficiently reached the required number of responses. Thanks!
Right way? I have no idea what you mean..."right way". C'mon everybody I am still doing it Double Down Wrong!!! Help!!! ;)

·
900 Customer
901 Posts

Well, if you know you're in 3rd you can either try and downshift to 1st before you go (that may not work well though, hence this thread), or you can really crack the throttle and slip the clutch, which will still result in a much slower start than if you were in first. Either case will probably take more time than you have. And if you think you're in 1st, you'll almost certainly stall it.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Upshift through the gears to go faster...downshift through the gears to slow down. Presto! You'll leave a stop in the right gear every time...unless of course your another year older and can't remember much. :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
just downshift right before you come to a stop...
with regular cruising, when I see I have to come to a stop
I let off the gas let the engine slow me down some then downshift from 5th to 3rd, let the engine slow me down some more. as I get close to the stop light I apply brakes and about 10-15 feet from where I will stop I downshift from 3rd to 1st then stop the bike.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
every once in a great while i find myself in 2nd when coming to a complete stop ( like when im coasting to a stop and friends are ahead of me, ill go ahead and give her a little more gas to catch up and tell them something before the light changes) and sometimes the bike doesnt want to go into first. i just rock the bike forward using my legs and just the tires moving forward allows me to switch into first.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I've started the 900 in second a couple times, it works, but it really makes you think something is wrong.

But I've shifted down as slowing down from day one, so it's habit. Even in emergency stops I find that I down shifted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts