Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not happy .. I’ve reassembled the head on the GPZ and installed it on the block. My shed isn’t particularily clean and I wanted it all buttoned up ASAP. I measured the valve lengths against the Kawasaki manual and ordered shims .. but I’ve now managed to lose the paper I wrote the original measurements on. I know all the intakes were basically one size, but the exhausts were all different. Am I just going to have to install the thinnest shims and work through a process of trial-and-error with the setup? I can’t think of any other way around this?

BTW: As the cams / camchain isn’t setup yet, I was thinking of rotating the pistons down in the bores and setting the shims without the camchain installed? Does that sound reasonable?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Aye, think you're stuck with trial and error javelin, sadly :icon_frow

You might be able to shuffle them, cams out, and measure the bucket installed height to get 'em roughly even (need a vernier) but even then.........

It's a valuable lesson in not seperating each shim or bucket 'til the new one has gone in, i always tape a sheet of A4 to the wall and use a marker-pen to note every clearance, current shim and needed shim.

I once had 2 battling kittens pile into my neatly arranged lines of buckets and shims, they scattered 'em everywhere, all i ended up with was a few buckets not going back int original 'ole :wink:

Can't see why you can't leave the camchain off but it'll not be too easy to set
the cams to different positions for measuring.

Make sure to use exact torque and tighten the bolts evenly on the caps, them threads strip if you use harsh language.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've found the original measurements from before I pulled all it all apart, but that probably doesn't help as I don't know which shims went where ..

Yep .. sounds like trial and error.

I miss pushrods and hydraulic lifters from my old cast iron V8s :(

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ball-ache m8 :(

Seriously though, careful wi them threads under the cam-caps, they are really prone to stripping.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts