Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around at tires and the price differences just blow my mind between the big names (Dunlop, Pirelli, etc) and then the Maxxis,Cheng Shen and Shinko tires. I don't get it. On my car I've had the expensive Michellins but took the jump and bought some Kumhos and thought they were the greatest things since sliced cheese.

So here's the info and the question:

I've got a '90 ZX6D. I'm not a stunter, I just like to ride. I commute and cruise and that's it. So basically, I need regular street tire; nothing overly agressive. I can't justify paying $200 a tire especially when I would do something that crazy for a car.

I've looked at the Shinko tires (http://store.azmusa.com/shink.html) and they go for a great price. The question is, has anyone riden on these before and are they any good?

No opinions, no "Korean/Chinese tires are crap" because that means nothing to me (or anyone else who cares). Only people who riden or at least some constructive reason why or why not.

Thanks in advance!

Shig

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I have no idea, if I had a track I might test some less expensive tires, but I only have one chance.

If you do decide to get them make sure to give us a good write-up of your impressions.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Keep in mind that top-quality car tires have different characteristics from top-quality motorcycle tires. The same is true of cheap tires.

For car tires, one of the biggest differences between name-brand and off-brand is mileage. Name-brand tires (especially Michelin) are made of tougher, more-expensive rubber, so they last longer than cheap tires. Cheap tires tend to have softer rubber. In Minnesota winters, many people prefer cheap tires because the softer rubber offers better grip to the road. The decrease in tire life is offset by the lower purchase price.

But for motorcycle tires, I think that the name brand tires are better because they offer better grip and more consistent and predictable handling. Tire life is not a big selling factor like it is for car tires. Grip and performance are VERY important.

Since your life depends on your tires, and since your contact patch is very small, and since the difference in cost is also very small, I see no reason to try to skimp on tires.

How much is the difference between the best and the cheapest tires? Maybe $100 at the most? That's a very tiny percentage of your annual income. You've wasted a lot more money than that on things that don't really matter. So this time, spend it on something that does really matter.

That being said, feel free to disregard everything I say because I have not put my life on Cheng Shen or Shinko tires. I do not personally know how they feel. If someone tells me that they are the best tire on the market, then I will consider them. But I have never heard anyone say that.
Curt

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I would not buy Cheng Shen tires for my bike. There were Cheng shens on my 83 Yamaha 750 Virago I had in around 1990. The grip was almost nonexistent and I crashed the bike and broke my ankle.

Shinko bought their tire technology from Yokohama and might be a good tire. Here is a link with a little history.

The Shinko Osaka Story | Shinko Tire USA

The last tires I bought were for a 2004 Concours and I bought Bridgestone BT45s. I was very pleased with the price and grip of those tires. They also took very little weight to balance them.

·
Learning everyday
414 Posts
I had read a review on Shinko tires that was based on a detailed review from an experienced rider. I don't have the link but I will try to find it. In the end the guy reviewing the Shinko's said that it is more tire than most people need. I have one on the front of my 80 kz1000 st , I only have about 60 miles on it, been up to 70 mph with it, so far so good.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have them on my 2006 Vulcan 900. So far they have been good tires. I've ridden in the rain several times and have never slipped. They handle better than the Bridgestones that were on it when I got it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts