Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you using to adjust or check the air pressure on the shock of your Nomad.
What kind of motorcycle jack are you using. My jack is great but it uses the frame rails to pick up the bike and the motor sets lower than the frame rails on the Nomad, cant use this jack now.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
For the shocks you really need a progressive air pump (do a search on any motorcycle accessory site) that allows you to add air and unhook the pump with no air loss -it has a gauge inline. Using a standard tire guage will never give you a true reading because you lose most the pressure as you do the check. Be very careful airing them up because there is a tiny volume there and you can easily blow the seals.

As for the jack, just add some wooden blocks to let the jack engage the frame and clear the engine, you might want to bolt those blocks to the jack somehow for stability.

And since you're on the Nomad you simply must bookmark this site for all things Nomad -it will let you avoid most dealer related foolishness :wink: Gadget's Fixit Page For Kawasaki Nomad & Classic Modification Maintenance & Repair

·
Registered
226 Posts
You don't need a jack. Just have someone hold the bike up level so neither shock's air bag is compressed more than the other one. Then add 2 to 3 lb more than what you want; ie if you want 20 lb, add 22 or 23 lb/psi in the shock and you'll be pretty dang close. Progressive makes a great pump and that's what I use but you can get them a little cheaper from places like NASBAR or Performance cycle in the form of a bicycle suspension pump. Just make sure they have the zero air loss feature. The airbags in these shocks are very small and the least little 'hiss' will cost you enough air to where your shocks will be uneven.
Ride safe,
Dano

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
I have the HD pump because it was convenient and it looks exactly like the progessive. Even the packaging is the same. I pump it to the pressure I want and it looses almost no pressure (less than qtr lb) when I disconnect and reconnect.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
HD pump is fine.

As far as the jack, the standard bike/ATV life is fine... I use it all the time.
If smacking the case on a speedbump hard enough to take a huge chunk of asphalt with it didn't damage the case, lifting the bike isn't going to hurt it.

It's not a thin pan like used to be on cages... it's a solid casting.

And even the thin pan on cages was strong enough to lift a 500-pound engine to change engine mounts if you put a phone book on top of the jack.

For those who still are not convinced about using the case, you can put a couple of hockey pucks on the jack's pads under the front of the frame and that will be enough to clear the case.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
When I finish my little home made mod I won't have to jack up the bike or have it held level to get equal air pressure in both shocks. Not a big deal really, another one of those just to see if I could do it things...lol. I just didn't want to use the kit (I think Progressive makes it?) although I'm sure it works just fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts