Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a set of Progressives for my Meanie from a fellow BTK member who was swapping out for VTX's. Problem the bushings don't fit. Can't fault him, as I'm sure he needed the spacers/bushings to mount his shocks.

Question is, what to do? The hole in the bushings on the new Progressives is to big for the mounting pins on the bike. Can I press the ones from the stockers out by hand? If so, how? If not, does anyone know what bushings I need to get, or if there is a smaller "adapter" bushing I can slide in?

Any help would be appreciated...

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
The way I got my stock "bottom" bushings out was by using a flat-head screw driver and a rubber mallet. I just laid em on the floor (on a rug), placed the screw driver on the rim of the bushing and hammered it, slowly working my way around the rim of the bushing till it came out. I did the VTX shocks, so it was only the stock bottom bushings that are used. I have no idea how one removes the top one, if thats what you need..

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Problem is, I'm not sure if I can even use the bushing/bearing set-up from the top of the stock shocks.

Hopefully someone else will chime in as well...

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't know about progressives, but I put VTX's on mine. Bought some from Kawi, put 'em in and took off ! Took 30mins total !
You may try an auto parts store for a replacement shock bushing. Most shocks have a common size that could easily be belt sanded down to size, if you need a SMALLER one. That's what I was gonna do, but I needed a bigger one so I got the stockers.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Before you check with a local autoparts call the maker of the shocks and maybe they'll send you the parts for free. When I got the PCIII used from a fourm member it was missing the clip and the maker send it to me for free even when I offer to pay for it. Also bought a grill at a local sams on clearance because it was missing some parts i got it for pretty much nothing, call the maker to order those parts and my lucky day they send them to me for free and we're talking about $60 worth of parts missing! give it a shot, some of this makers want to keep their customer very happy and will do anything to help.

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before you check with a local autoparts call the maker of the shocks and maybe they'll send you the parts for free...
Sent an email to Progressive first thing this morning, hoping for just that. Haven't heard back yet though.

·
Bug Killer Extraordinaire
490 Posts
I did it a little differently. I removed the metal centers from the old shock then trimmed
the outside on a grinder till it was small enough to fit in the progressive shock.
then pressed them in with a vice.

worked perfect! luckily I had a pair of old shocks laying around.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts