Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 31 year hiatus, I am back on a motorcycle. Last August I got a Suzuki Volusia, which fits me very well. I am 55 years old and I enjoy relaxed riding. My local (Mobile, AL) Kawasaki dealer has not had a 1600 Classic in stock for me to sit on. I have sat on a Meanie, whose write-ups I like, but it is a bit too much of a reach for me. The bars are about 2-2.5 inches too far forward forward. However I like all the features of the Meanie. Do the bars on the 1600 Classic come farther back than they do on the Meanie? I also like all the write-ups I have seen on it. Is there a soultion for the Mean Streak with risers and a more pullled back handlebar that would allow the mounting of a good windshield for a short guy like me and still allow me to see the tach and speedometer? I like my Vol alot, but I want more power (especially down low), better brakes, and smoother shifting. The shift from first to second on the Vol is a real rough clunker! It really bugs me.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome to the board bsteff-we sorta neighbors :lol:

first , the bars on the meanie are a reach for me also,i would need them brought back
a few inches to get really comfortable.the bars on the 1600 do come back better as they
are more of a cruiser bar than a drag bar. risers and a windshield on the meanie are no problem,many have done this.in fact one of the bikes in my club is outfitted this way
ans is much more pleasant to ride,although the windshield to me looks a little strange on
the meanstreak-thats just me. the 1600 is extremley comfortable.you should sit on one and see for yourself,the bikes reaches for you,and the low end power on both bikes is plentiful
brakes on the meanie are awesome-that's a tuff choice between the two,i guess it depends
on which styling suits your taste-hot rod or classic

good luck on your purchase and keep us informed :wink:
if your ever over this way gimme a buzz and we'll go for a ride :D

ride safe!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
height challenged

Welcome, I have a 1600 and Im also 5'8". bike fits me great, floorboards seem to be a little too far forward,
did have to remove the seat cover and trim some of the seat foam on the sides of the seat.
It bothered me while riding not in a stop. Guess its the seat seam.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BikeAholic -

Thanks for the reply. Do you know how the brakes on the 1600 Classic compare to the Meanie? Since I like (alot) how my Suzuki Vol fits me, I bet the 1600 Classic is for me. The reason I asked about the windshield is for riding on the interstate (you know - I-10). After about 10 miles I get tired of fighting the wind. In the city I prefer no windshield, especially during our Gulf Coast summers. Since I was raised in Houston, TX, I appreciate the cooler summers here in Mobile, but during the summer months, I still enjoy the breeze when riding in the in the city in stop-and- go without a windshield.

Paco-

Thanks for the info. I assume your ride is a 1600 Classic. With your comment on the floorboards, I guess I still need to sit on a 1600 classic to see how it fits. The pegs on the Meanie fit well, but the bar doesn't. What's a short guy like me to do? I guess I should have chosen my parents more carefully...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paco

By the way, my first addition to my Suzuki Vol was a Mustang seat. 55 year old rump needs help after about an hour.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

bsteff-the brakes on the 1600 are very good also-no problems with high speed stops
in fact i think the brake systems are the same,dual front disc and single rear disc
but the meanie has 300mm disc - i think the 1600 disc is smaller not sue though!
i know what you mean about I-10,the vulcan don't have a shield(i think i'm one of the few) :lol: - and the sporty has one but i don't use it :p - i think your gonna want to ride the 1600 classic if your gonna be traveling a little over here :lol:

but the meanie!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bikeaholic-

Yeah, I think you're right. It will probably be the 1600 Classic. Our chapter of Southern Cruisers does about 2-4 long rides each month. I really enjoy longer rides in the spring and fall. Our largest ride, atendance-wise, is the ride the last weekend of October for the Children's and Women's Hospital here in Mobile. Since I am a faculty member of the medical school at The University of South Alabama, this ride is a personal favorite. However it is a short ride. Quite frankly, a ride that large (over 200 bikes) would be a real mess if it was a long ride.

I would love to break in a new Classic in the fall of 2004 or spring of 2005. Most of the club is on Harley's with Hondas in second place. I have always liked to be a little different. Not a lot, just a little...

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm 5'8", 200 and the 1600 Classic fits me just fine. Don't know how the brakes compare to a Meanie. My last bike was a 750 Shadow and I do know the brakes on my 1600 will haul it down quicker and straighter than my 750 Shadow would. Compared to my old Moto Guzzi 850 Eldorado with drum/drum brakes, well there is no comparison :) The floorboards fit me perfect and provide me with plenty of foot position choice. Got a set of Cobra Passenger floorboards on back order for my wife.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I personally don't think there's any cruiser that can beat the brakes on a Meanie. There's certainly not one that can out-handle the Meanie, not even the Warrior.

I find the bike to be very comfortable on long rides, with the exception of the bar position. I've ordered the Aeromach 6" risers and 35-degree drag bar (see "Need bars with more pullback for Mean Streak" thread), but I don't have them yet. Others with the same issue have said this is a great fix for the "too forward" position.

I also ordered a High End seat which sits you about an inch lower and an inch further forward than the stock seat. Remains to be seen if it's as comfortable as the stock seat, although I've been told that after a break-in period of about 100 miles it is.

Good luck in your decision - these are both nice bikes.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

you know-look at all the [email protected]#% risers that are sold for these bikes :roll:
even us 6' guys are reaching for bars on alot of bikes-you would think
the factory would bring them back a bit - i realize that they have to average it out in production bikes but geez how many 6'8" guys with monkey arms
are riding nowadays :lol:

sorry-had to vent :p

·
Registered
181 Posts
Like I have posted before I will post again. I am 5'7" and feel real comfortable on the meanie. Although this could be just because I am so happy to be riding, nothing could bother me. :lol:

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcome bsteff,
I'm new on the block too and the guys here are a great help. I bought my 1600 classic about 2 months ago and I love it, I can't imagine someone not liking it. I recommend that you get the mustang seat if you go with the classic, after about an hour in the saddle of the oem seat you'll know exactly what I mean but I'm sure that's not news to since you've had a mustang before. I'll tell you that I searched hi and low and the cheapest I found my mustang seat was $501.00 with discountcycleparts.com, but I happily paid a little extra for the great customer service I got. I'd be happy to give you number of the company I went with.
Again welcome to the board, keep the shiny side up and the rubber side down.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts