Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm moving up from a 250 after about 6 months.

There is a 2003 Vulcan 800 Classic with 450 miles on it available for $5300.00.

Seems like a good deal to me. I sat on it and it feels really sweet - its from a dealer so I can't take it for a ride. I went in looking for a new bike, but I can save a small fortune with this one and it hardly seems broken in. The plates expired in Oct. 2003 so it appears it has been sitting someone's garage for awhile.

This may be the first bike I buy from a dealer and any advice would be appreciated. What would you ask for from the dealer?

Thanks in advance - the new guy.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
according to www.kbb.com your bike is valued at;

$3475 trade in value good condition and for a engine displacement of 750 or larger that allows up to 10600 miles.

AND

$5050 Retail value in good condition with the same caveat on the mileage.

Sounds like its a pretty fair deal.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
EZ bash offer the dealer $4800.00 maybe $5000.00 it's two yrs. old, an it's winter maybe he'd like to get rid of it instead of sitting on it for 4 or 5 months. The 800 is pretty much bullet proof so enjoy.

·
Registered
302 Posts
800 CLASSIC

The 800 sold new in 03 for msrp $5,995.00 The classic was about $500.00 more. The price you are quoted is very high retail (unless there are alot of add-ons such as bags,pipes, windshield). And any dealer should give a test ride on a "used" bike if you provide a motorcycle lisence and insurance papers, I know they won't let you test drive a new bike for obvious reasons, but if this bike already has 450 miles on it it is definetly"used" and they should not refuse to let you ride it. If you really want the bike you should insist on a test ride (call there bluff) because it's B.S. not to let you. I'm curious to know their reason for not letting quailified people test ride "used" bikes, thats a new one on me.
Good Luck!
Lonestar

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
I,m with Lonestar on that one it's used , I'd take it for a test ride an if they don't let you post the phone # of the dealer an I'll call them an ask when I can come down for a test ride . <BG> As long as you've got your motorcycle indorsment on your licence there's no reason you can't test drive. I was at the local HD dealer a couple of weeks ago an test rode three different bike's two were new demo's an the v-rod was used they didn't have a problem letting anyone that was licenced ride them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Even if they do let you ride it 5300 seems like a bit much unless there are quite a few add on's. I'm betting if you offer 4800 cash they will take it.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I have a 2001 800A. I bought it because I was looking for a used, inexpensive starter bike and I found an ad in the Thrifty Nickel. It was in beautiful shape, had low miles and quite a few after-market mods (a Mustang seat, V&H Straightshots, highway bars, sissy bar, grips, and a custom paint job on the tank) and the price was right ($3000). I really like it a lot. But if I'd had the luxury of choosing whichever model I wanted, I'd definitely get the classic. I love the lines--the wider front tire, the fenders, etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone - you input has been very helpful. Work got in the way today, but I will meet with the dealer tomorrow and let you know what happens.

My only other question is how do I explain a second bike in the garage to the spouse "Uh, how did that get there?" is all I got.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Ezbash said:
My only other question is how do I explain a second bike in the garage to the spouse "Uh, how did that get there?" is all I got.
"But honey, that's my backup bike" :shock:

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
But honey, that's my backup bike" Ken did that work for you? lol

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Well....sort of....my "backup" bike is a smaller sport commuting bike :lol:

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Just bring her home a new set of leathers with the bike and tell her how great she will make the new bike look, hay it worked for me !!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thats is not to far off, they go new in 2004 for 6499, 450 miles is basically brand new, not even broken in yet. That is 1200 dollars less for basically a new bike. I would offer less too especially since they probably gave whoever traded it on jack crap and have allot of room to play with. But at the same time I don't believe 5300 is to far off at all. If that same bike was there when I was looking I gladly would have plunked down 5300 instead of 6500. I don't believe they have changed much of anything from 2003-2005. I love my 800 Classic, in my opinion one of the best cruisers on the market for people who are new to riding or really anyone at all looking for a good affordable cruiser. I ride with a Mean Streak, a VTX 1800 and a V-Star 1100 and have no trouble riding with them at all.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I bought a 2003 Vulcan 800A last June from the original owner, it only had 600+ miles on it. I know the Classic does cost a little more, but my bike had already had the first service done, had been jetted and vance & hines cruzers installed. The seller also gave me the stock exhaust pipes, a new battery tender, and a new never worn helmet he had bought for his wife, ( she wouldn't ride with him ) I bought it for $4500.00. I think 5300.00 for the 2003 800 classic sounds pretty high. Before finding the bike I bought, I was looking at a new 2004 classic at a dealer, he was ready to sell it to me for $5900.00 right off the showroom floor. With winter coming ...I think you might be able to find a better deal.

Good Luck and ride safe!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts