Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the local dealer today and I noticed that they had these tubes that had magnetic balls in them. Dont remember the name of them but they did say that they guarentee to trip the timers on the street lights so that you will never wait and wait for it to turn green again. Has anyone tried these balls? and do they work? i am considering adding them to my xmas list and maybe santa will be very good to me this year.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Never heard of that particular name, but this little gadget: The Green Light Trigger
Does indeed work. I got the HP version.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I thought things like this were illegal.
It's only illegal if your device interferes with normal signal timing.

BTW: Flashing your high beams will NOT activate the emergency vehicle preemption system and give you a green light.

MUTCD standards for an inductive loop detector require the loop to reliably detect only 90% of registered vehicles larger than 90cc.
Video based detection systems are running closer to 98%.

There were 3 or 4 signals local to me that would not pick up my 800 pound 1600. They all work just fine now.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Somewhere on one of the other threads they were talking about just taking a magnet from a dead computer hard drive and placing on the bottom of the bike (near the oil drain plug). Claimed it would provide dual benefit, to actuate the signals and added magnetizm for the oil drain plug pulling any loose metal there. Haven't tried this my self but was thinking about it.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Anything would be a help, but the commercial products are much bigger.

I've been using a magnetic drain plug since my first oil change. It's magnet is only a little smaller than the HDD magnet, and I still had a lot of signals that would not trigger

The one I referenced above is about 1" x 2.5" or so. A typical HDD magnet is about 1/4" or less.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Just buy a powerful magnet, and stick it to the bottom of your bike....worse case scenario it still does not trip a light occassionally....then while sitting there, move the kickstand to the down position, and back up.....for some reason lowering the kickstand for a second often triggers the sensors.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Anything would be a help, but the commercial products are much bigger.

I've been using a magnetic drain plug since my first oil change. It's magnet is only a little smaller than the HDD magnet, and I still had a lot of signals that would not trigger

The one I referenced above is about 1" x 2.5" or so. A typical HDD magnet is about 1/4" or less.
Bust open an old speaker from a car or even a home stereo, a ghetto blaster or whatever.

Take the magnet out with a hacksaw or sawzall, and stick it to the bottom of the bike....works better I have found than the commercial so called triggers, and is free.
You can find an old speaker nearly anywhere.

Heck go crazy if ya want and put on 2. :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow, ive never thought about the speaker thing. i may try that because i have a huge problem with lights not turning green for me on either of my bikes, the 250 or the 500+ lb zx11 i was searching ideas for a way to solve this to add to my xmas list and i saw these things at the dealer that were simple balls about the size of golf balls and they stick to the bike (i assume the bottom) and they claim to work but who knows. i dont think anyone has seen or used these things yet so maybe its a new idea but thanks for the advice some of the ideas are free and thats always a plus.

·
Hates Helmet Hair
55 Posts
I thought things like this were illegal.
Tripping the signal detector with a magnet is not illegal.. devices that override the signal timers is. As for balls in a tube...never heard of them. As said earlier, these triggering devices are just magnets. Bigger bikes with a lot of steel (spoke wheels, frame, etc) like my Harley don't need triggering devices. But it's effective on sportbikes having a lot of non-magnetic alloy and plastic. The best to use is a rare earth magnet. It's smaller, lighter and stronger than speaker-type magnets. But using a bare magnet will pick up a lot of debris since you have to mount it at the lowest point under the bike. The ones you buy come in a plastic housing. I have a Signal Sourcerer on my 6R and it works most of the time. When it doesn't, I run the red.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much 'road crap' do these pick up? I would think after a few miles, they would be furry looking with all the shavings/filings/powder that is shed from vehicles.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how much 'road crap' do these pick up? I would think after a few miles, they would be furry looking with all the shavings/filings/powder that is shed from vehicles.
I'll have to look at mine in the morning, but last I recall, it was clean.

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
Yo

Never heard of that particular name, but this little gadget: The Green Light Trigger
Does indeed work. I got the HP version.
Rich, I have tried several that "maybe" worked on the little wannabeabiigbike. I couldn't hack the mess from a speaker magnet (even though I did get a free wrench at the dealers without knowing it! BIG magnet!)
I just ordered one of these ON YOUR RECOMMENDATION! So, it better work, right?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Rich, I have tried several that "maybe" worked on the little wannabeabiigbike. I couldn't hack the mess from a speaker magnet (even though I did get a free wrench at the dealers without knowing it! BIG magnet!)
I just ordered one of these ON YOUR RECOMMENDATION! So, it better work, right?
I did encounter one signal late last week that it didn't work on, but that's it.
I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, and I'm thinking seriously about one for the dirtbike (buddy's trailer park's exit gate doesn't like my Yamaha).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts