Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woo hoo! Had the GPz out for a little ride today. Big fun but still a few problems to deal with. Anyway, on a deserted, two-lane road today I wanted to wind it up some but decided to play it safe. Good thing to because out of the corner of my eye I saw Johnny Law waiting to pounce! I cruised by doing exactly the speed limit. About a half mile down the road I saw a fellow motorcyclist coming towards me. I was not thinking and just did a little wave. I think I should have signaled there was a police officer waiting up the road a ways. Is there a universally recognized sign I could have used? Something other than the palm down slow-down motion that is? He was not speeding but that road is tempting.
Thanks everyone,

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I always do the palm down and then point behind me with my thumb. I don't know how effective it is. That's a good question. Maybe someone that knows will tell us the right way.

D

·
Red is Faster
1,237 Posts
pat your head

·
nu2kawi
2,707 Posts
Live and learn, maybe if more got caught doing things they shouldn't, more would live to ride another day.

·
Pass Me Safely!
72 Posts
Pad the Top of Your Helmet! When I first saw that jesture I did not know what it meant but as I drove down the road, I saw a highway patrolman on the side of the road taking pictures.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Pad the Top of Your Helmet! When I first saw that jesture I did not know what it meant but as I drove down the road, I saw a highway patrolman on the side of the road taking pictures.
It works pretty well. If you do it to a group of riders, the ride leader usually recognizes it and slows the group down.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
3 taps to the top of your head, open palm down.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
Good question! Learned something new.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Live and learn, maybe if more got caught doing things they shouldn't, more would live to ride another day.
Log vs. speck?

Yep.....3-pats on head.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
There used to be a whole series of gestures for warnings among truckers, but on the interstate you sometimes can't even see the other side, let alone see a driver. The CB killed all that, just about the time I started driving trucks.

·
Wannabe Poser
3,446 Posts
There used to be a whole series of gestures for warnings among truckers, but on the interstate you sometimes can't even see the other side, let alone see a driver. The CB killed all that, just about the time I started driving trucks.
The truckers still flash there lights to let ya know. Same with the cars. The cb use to be good but a lot of the newer truckers don't tell ya squat.
Problem with flashing the lights is in some area's you'll get a ticket for it if they see ya doing it. Car or truck. Easiest way is just to not go that fast over the limit. 5-7mph over they usually don't bother.

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
I always put my arm out and in an up and down motion signal with my hand down. It's like a "slow down" look thing. I don't know how well it works, but I saw a biker do that to me and when I saw the cop down the road I knew what he was talking about. So ever since then I do the same thing. I also do the same thing to my riding buddies if I want them to quit being idiots and driving so **** fast!

·
Patriot Guardian
2,469 Posts
Well from what i've heard from some street race fans since i would never go to such a highly illegal event even when i was a teenager is the spinning your finger in the air then point behind you for copper. I usually flash my highbeam on and off and then tap my head to let them know, unless they dont return the wave then they deserve to get pulled over. :p

1 - 20 of 22 Posts