Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil level indicator is on the right side of my bike. I should check it while the bike is on the kickstand and not the center stand correct? They give 2 very different readings.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Center stand is correct. Since the bike leans to the left when on the kickstand. Some folks I've heard will have a second pair of eyes look at the level while they sit on the bike and hold it level with their feet on the ground. Depends on how picky you decide to be I guess...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I freakin hate newbs, who can't understand simple text written in a form other than standard l33t talk.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Be careful not to overfill oil as you will probably blow a gasket! Line it up between the fill lines - works 4 me!

·
Registered
78 Posts
im new to bikes but i would not personal judge the oil level while the bike is running cuz well its doing its thing then.. if its full when its off then its full when its running.. the only time i would do the turn on then off is after you change the filter cuz it needs to fill up so then ya youll be low on oil after..

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Stuart said:
yeah, also have the bike running when checking how the oil is,
HOLY COW IS THIS WRONG !!! :shock:
DO NOT CHECK THE OIL WITH THE BIKE RUNNING !!
start the bike, let it warm up a bit, SHUT IT OFF and wait a few minutes, put it on LEVEL ground and hold the bike up straight, then check at the site glass, add if needed.
also if it has a dipstick then you DO NOT screw it back in, (on MOST bikes,READ THE MANUAL for your bike for correct procedure)

·
Registered
458 Posts
Dr. Feelgood said:
My oil level indicator is on the right side of my bike. I should check it while the bike is on the kickstand and not the center stand correct? They give 2 very different readings.
You may not have an owners manual. If you don't get one. It will answer a lot of questions. I'm sure this question is answered. You may be able to order through a dealer, if not maybe a Clymer or Haynes manual. Maybe here or eBay.

I have to agree that you should NOT check the oil with the engine running. As said, check it with the bike straight up and and keep it between the lines. Generally, if you can see oil you are ok.

1Adam12 is right. Overfilling can cause serious probelms, the least of which is oil leaks.

Hey Stu, you got any leaks? :wink:

·
Registered
741 Posts
If you don't have a person to help you, you can set the kick stand on a a 2x4 to level the bike or you can buy a mirror with a telescoping arm to see it while seated in the saddle. Sears carries a good rectangular mirror.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Putting

Puttint the bike on the kickstand with a 2X4 or something to level it is prefered. I wouldn't suggest even running the bike first as the dold oil will take some time to drain. I have a Clymers manual an dit isn't worth using in the outhouse...Get yourself a Service manual and an owners manual from beartooth kawasaki 1 800 556 3098. I wasted my money on a Clymers because it was all wrapped up and sealed...never again...Use good oil, once it is broken in use a 100% synthetic and then all you will have to do is to remember to chage the filter every 5,000 miles, or both th efilter na oil every 5,000 miles

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah, already addressed that issue back almost a month ago, WHEN IT WAS WRITTEN, I obviously said a few key words then and it was deleted just like I feel like using a few key words but choose not to, so lets not revive old posts freakin newb

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

I haop that your tome changes some...I'm not a newbie...and if I was I would take offence to your last post. We're here to have fun, learn and have a great time...no matter what you ride, even a honda 50cc dream, we're here to help the best we can. so, Stuart, taake no offence...just work on building a good repore with the forum...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I was talking about posts previous to yours, read above, I don't want someone who just got his license and as of yet doesn't own a bike to tell me I'm wrong on something unless he looks it up...But...maybe if I say beartooth kawasaki enough times they'll give me a free bike...*just a thought*

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Stuart said:
I don't want someone who just got his license and as of yet doesn't own a bike to tell me I'm wrong on something unless he looks it up
AHH YEA , that may be me ?? and IM FAR FROM A NEWBIE ! so dont make ASSUMPTIONS cause you know that just makes an ASS out of U.
for one ive been riding over 27yrs.
and secondly ive been working/fixing my own vehicles for over 15yrs. and lastly i am a bike tech so dont tell me about being wrong unless you know ME and my BACKGROND !
nuff said :roll:

if you didnt mean me then "my bad" :wink:

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I don't think Stuart is on the same page tonight

Stuart...don't know what's up. or what happened, but c'mon! EVERYONE should have and read their manuals. I wouldn't start mine up to warm it up before checking it, an dyou cannot check the oil level while it is running...Maybe that isn't what you said...let it set overnight then check it first thing in the morning...if is is so close that you can't decide then change the filter and then add oil to make up the difference...better safe than a little to short.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Stuart said:
I was talking about posts previous to yours, read above, I don't want someone who just got his license and as of yet doesn't own a bike to tell me I'm wrong on something unless he looks it up
And you can figure this out how? :shock:

My bad for not checking the date of the original post. :oops:

If you had corrected something you had said about checking oil it was not on the board when I posted. Your original was. :roll:

Mysteriously it has disappeared. :wink: :?:

Chill, you take this way to serious. This ain't brain surgery. 8)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
STUART!

Can't be mad at a person for trying to support a Dealership that offers a FREE Forum. I'll say,even yell, BEARTOOTH KAWASAKI...all I want! Some of the people out on the forum will spend their hard earned money on a mptprcycle costing THOUSANDS of dollars, even some Tens-of-Thousands of dollars and don't even have a Genuine Kawasaki Service manual or even an Owners Manual. Clymers and Haynes does NOT have all of the information in their books ALL of the time. I could get real pointed and specific on this issue if you want to PM me. Some people just need to learn and read about their bikes and what goes where and EVEN how to properly check their oil! C'mon, it's not that hard, yet we seem to have half dozen ways that people seem to think is the right way. Somebody is definately not reading a manual! Lots of people are not reading a manual... I THINK...is crap...get the proper Service manual and if you don't have it Order it from BEARTOOTH KAWASAKI!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts