Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 08, 900 Classic after owning 3 Suzuki C50s.

Gas- Regular or Premium or does it matter

Oil- 10/40, used Castrol syn blend or Mobile 1 full syn, what do you suggest

Pipes- drilling holes in the face plate no problem with the C50, How about the VN 900 any problems or backfiring etc. Would usually cut (8) 5/8 inch holes in the face plate of the C50s.

Love the bike and I got a smokin deal:smile:

·
Estancia Meritage
1,523 Posts
Gas....run regular
Pipes...I have cobra longs on mine, didn't have to drill anything. And if you don't do an air kit, theres no fooling with nothing else. It will pop on decerleration but not hardly at all once the pipes break in. Matter of fact, I have had my pipes 2 years now and it hardly pops at all. A little popping now and then I think sounds cool!!
Oil....I run 20-50 mobil one v-twin synthetic in mine.

Lucky...

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Hello Hiway, welcome! I have always run regular in my 900 with no problems at all. I switched to the Kawa synthetic at 1000 miles and really like it - they just started getting the 10W-50 and it is even better. Can't tell you about mufflers, but I'm sure someone can.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Use the cheapest gas that doesn't leave you pinging. Thats usually 87 octane around here but if you have 85 give it a shot. It's not that your saving a few measly pennies, its that anything over pinging helps build carbon in your bike. That's damaging it slowly while trying to feed your bike nothing but the best. I've run 87 octane almost exclusively. I did have a tank of 85 in Colorado and a couple of Premiums when a station was out of regular. But regular is what I run.

I use Mobil's Vtwin race 10-40. whatever you run has to be designed for clutch, engine and tranny. Standard Mobil 10-40 has friction enhancers that will screw up your clutch. But oil questions are kinda devisive around here. I can only say what I've used for 35,000 miles and let you make your decision.

You can get the oil and the filter at Walmart. My local autoparts stores don't even list the V-twin Mobil oil. If Walmart stops carrying it, I'll have to switch oil.

To drill the pipes on the 900 you need to pop off that black, flat back plate, cut the inner pipe square and then you can drill holes in the back, inner muffler. You can also punch out the center baffle in the center pipe OR before you do that, get a piece of dowel that fits the center pipe, center drill that and use it to guide the mandril of a 2.75 inch hole saw. Then use a 1 inch hole saw to cut just outside the inner pipe. That will make you a big washer and leave the inner pipe standing alone. Put a longer piece of dowel into the inner pipe and start wiggling it till the welds on the front pop loose. It can take as little as a couple minutes to 15-20 but it will pop the welds loose. Thats how my muffler has been running for purty near 2 years. It's a nice amount of sound, though you can't hear the loudness you can hear the exhaust note on this video I made Tuesday. It's right at the front of the video.

No need to add a fuel processor to your bike if you just pop the muffler. Fact is, I don't think I NEED a processor as the bike sits now with a BAK and the pipe gutted. There is still a 1 inch hole at the front of the muffler AND the Catalytics in there, that restricts flow enough that stock settings on my GMAN Bully give me good running results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone,. Having been on the Volusia/C50 board for years I now have all these questions about the 900, and yes I own one and am not trying to pull anyones leg. Even with pictures, which being not real computer savy seems a bit difficult for me. So the mobil v twin is at walmart and what is the number on the oil filter?

·
IBA#34418
6,329 Posts
Thanks everyone,. Having been on the Volusia/C50 board for years I now have all these questions about the 900, and yes I own one and am not trying to pull anyones leg. Even with pictures, which being not real computer savy seems a bit difficult for me. So the mobil v twin is at walmart and what is the number on the oil filter?
Its just the running joke here. No picture=didnt happen

The easiest way to load pictures on here it to open a photobucket account. And once up loaded use the tag that has before it.

There is a sticky somewhere on here on how to do it. Its a great write up.

Oh and welcome

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Usually a local parts house will get Mobil 1 V-Twin if you ask.
Mine looked at me like I had Blueberry muffins coming out of my ears. Big place like KC BUT I bet if I take an old quart with me when I dump the old oil they might actually see if they could order me some.

This is the 100% fits thread. Used to be a sticky but all the other size guys got tired of us being at the top. In that ramblin thread you'll find a list of all the filters that fit. Now I've used Fram for quite a few years but our missing oil cut/paster expert has been missing for a while and he could give you a list of why Fram is no good anymore. Along with the other manufacturers that are made either by or in the same way as Fram now. I believe he said Mobil 1 makes a fine filter SO being that way Take the list of fits and have your parts guy give you the Mobil 1 equivalent if it isn't listed. If he doesn't know what Mobil 1 V Twin oil is, perhaps you can take him an empty quart as well.

Welcome to the forum. When you get around to the nubbins on that rear tire Maybe I can pervert you to the Darkside.

·
Old Dude
418 Posts
Are you on VR? Your name doesn't sound familiar unless you go by Hiway Thunder.

Congrats on the 900. It really is a fine bike.

Barry
barrynfla on VR

·
Rok'n'Rol
192 Posts
Everyone just wants to see it!! Understandable, really.

I'm courious how it compares to the C50's you've had. I was just talking to a C90 owner yesterday & had no idea the fuel tank was actually under the seat on those!

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,870 Posts
Welcome to the forum! About oil for the VN900, there are about as many ideas about which to use as there are users here! You might want to check your owner's manual. I have used Castrol GTX 10-40 car oil with no clutch problems, switched over to Shell Rotella T 15-40, which meets JASO specs. even though there is no such claim on the label. The JASO spec. indicates that the oil has wear-reducing components which no longer are in car oil because of emissions requirements. Rotella synthetic has too much ash for the JASO spec - Shell warns of possible engine deposits problems. I get Rotella at Walmart. Oil filter - I use Purolator PureOne PL14612, reportedly as good a filter as is available, costs about $7.50 here. It has a tan coating - some bikers rattle can spray it black before installing.

You might want to do a few searches on this forum about oil and filters - lots of info and experiences available.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Everyone just wants to see it!! Understandable, really.

I'm courious how it compares to the C50's you've had. I was just talking to a C90 owner yesterday & had no idea the fuel tank was actually under the seat on those!
Need a little more time in the saddle on the VN900, so far the 900 has a better engine noise but more whine and other sounds associated with the engine, the 900 doesnt have you searching for the 6th gear. Speed wise I have seen some awful quick C50s, appearence more plastic chrome on the C50 and the seat seems a bit softer. I knew all the ins and outs on the C50 and was quite satisfied would of bought another one but the deal did not go through and came upon this 900 LT for a super price. It is showroom and I am liking it. It is a bit heavier which is fine. I am hoping to get alot of miles out of it.

·
1600 Nomad
147 Posts
Many of these "power sports" what "I use" discussions are interesting. In some cases, we might be trying to be to "fine". Or, just prove that we will not agree on what we are willing to spend on, or pinch pennies on...

Manual for my 08 900 indicates 91 octane.

Over on my jetski site, the posters say to upgrade from the manual stated regular, for my Kawi 15F

There's a thread out there in cyber space that had a rating test of oil filters. The Walmart Super Tech was right near the top. $2.80 Good for me, as the same one fits the MC and the Jetski.

I've gone over to the Mobil 10/40 V twin and the bike seems to run a tad cooler. Which I feel is an issue during the summer in beach traffic.

I'm 7k on the stock pipes, and fine with them as is. Already have hearing problems.....

The seat is a frequent complaint. But, there are always upgrades available thru this sites "swap meet" thread.

BTW, while not asked, I recently swapped in the Phat I Risers. Paired with the Mustang with backrest, it's "Lazy-boy" time !!!

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,239 Posts
I've never had issues with the 87 octane in my 900 - I think that's what my MOM says to use. For oil. I go with Mobil 1 V-Twin synthetic. haven't had any negative results from it - the bike seems to like it.

Enjoy your ride!

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
Many of these "power sports" what "I use" discussions are interesting. In some cases, we might be trying to be to "fine". Or, just prove that we will not agree on what we are willing to spend on, or pinch pennies on...

Manual for my 08 900 indicates 91 octane.

Over on my jetski site, the posters say to upgrade from the manual stated regular, for my Kawi 15F

There's a thread out there in cyber space that had a rating test of oil filters. The Walmart Super Tech was right near the top. $2.80 Good for me, as the same one fits the MC and the Jetski.

I've gone over to the Mobil 10/40 V twin and the bike seems to run a tad cooler. Which I feel is an issue during the summer in beach traffic.

I'm 7k on the stock pipes, and fine with them as is. Already have hearing problems.....

The seat is a frequent complaint. But, there are always upgrades available thru this sites "swap meet" thread.

BTW, while not asked, I recently swapped in the Phat I Risers. Paired with the Mustang with backrest, it's "Lazy-boy" time !!!
Hey man, nothing personal, but I think you're spreading some inaccurate information here:

Mobil 1 doesn't come in "10/40 V twin", it comes in Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40
and Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50. For most users unless running in 100 degree plus temps, the Racing 4T 10W-40 is the oil of choice.

The owner's manual for the 900 specifies 87 AVERAGE octane rating...that is the rating you see at the pump. The 91 octane spec refers to the RESEARCH method and doesn't apply to the number on the gas pump. 87 (regular) is what to use.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
The confusing part in the manual is it spends all the time instructing you on how calculate RMS Octane. In America all the calculations are listed on the pump and you don't have to do the calculations.

It's 87 in the book, all of them. Your 08 is no different from anyone elses 900. They've just confused you with all that junk in the book. A simple sticker would have sufficed.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Just bought an 08, 900 Classic after owning 3 Suzuki C50s.

Gas- Regular or Premium or does it matter

Oil- 10/40, used Castrol syn blend or Mobile 1 full syn, what do you suggest

Pipes- drilling holes in the face plate no problem with the C50, How about the VN 900 any problems or backfiring etc. Would usually cut (8) 5/8 inch holes in the face plate of the C50s.

Love the bike and I got a smokin deal:smile:
I've ridden C50s as well, like the VN900 a bit better. I see everyone's answered your question on oil and gas. I'm one who has drilled out the baffles, definitely recommend it, the bike is too too quiet without doing that. There used to be a good step by step with pics on the Delphi forum but that link appears to be busted.

And I only get popping when the bike is cold on deceleration, but it doesn't last bery long. You can check out Gadget's Fixit Page to see how to marble the reed valves if necessary.

And welcome!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.