Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been asking some questions about saddlebags, accessories, etc... lately and my next is about bags. Yes, I'm planning on putting that tax refund to some good use ;) I would like a bag that is going to hold it's shape. T-bags that aren't full look like they wouldn't (I know my brother's doesn't). Any suggestions would be great.

Here are several I like.

Nelson-Rigg SVT600: large, holds its shape, rollbag I can use seperately, and waterproof.
Nelson Rigg

Nelson-Rigg CTB900: large, holds its shape, rollbag I can use seperately (but not waterproof), Main bag not waterproof.
Nelson Rigg

Kuryakyn Full Dresser: large, holds it's shape, seperate access to upper/lower compartments, I believe is waterproof?
Product Page

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I have the CTB900. It comes with two waterproof covers. One just for the roll bag and one that can be used to cover just the main piece which also fully extended will cover both the main and the roll bag if you have them attached. I took two trips with my wife last year and had no issues with it at all.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Helping the Economy!!

As a good American I need to put my potential tax refund to good use and also help the economy at the same time. As a result I'm also looking at some kind of bag(s).

I thought the Cruiser Bag as shown below might be another option:

Home

I'm interested in what others have and what they like or don't like.

Ride Safe and Often.

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing I guess I need to look at is whether they will fit between my sissy bar and my drivers backrest (CWI). I would prefer not to have to get a luggage rack. I've got about 11" of space to work with.

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
Alright I know im gonna take some crap for this BUT.... Me and my stepdad bought these bags, i got the plain he has the studded. There work really well and are dirt cheap and look nice at the same time....
eBay Motors: MOTORCYCLE LEATHER SISSY T BAR TRAVEL LUGGAGE BAG 2336S (item 120211675922 end time Jan-23-08 16:30:22 PST)
Now my bag the top handle did come off I sent the bag back and get a replace free of charge and they sent me a check for my shipping charge to sent it back to them and i didn't pay shipping to get the bag back....
If your not using them all the time and only use them half a dozen times a year, its somthing to think about for you guys.... If i listen closely i can already hear the "you get what you pay for" crowd stomping their feet :p

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright I know im gonna take some crap for this BUT.... Me and my stepdad bought these bags, i got the plain he has the studded. There work really well and are dirt cheap and look nice at the same time....
eBay Motors: MOTORCYCLE LEATHER SISSY T BAR TRAVEL LUGGAGE BAG 2336S (item 120211675922 end time Jan-23-08 16:30:22 PST)
Now my bag the top handle did come off I sent the bag back and get a replace free of charge and they sent me a check for my shipping charge to sent it back to them and i didn't pay shipping to get the bag back....
If your not using them all the time and only use them half a dozen times a year, its somthing to think about for you guys.... If i listen closely i can already hear the "you get what you pay for" crowd stomping their feet :p

Ok, fine! You get what you pay for :tongue:

A friend of mine bought one similar to those at Sturgis this year and likes it well enough, though he paid close to $100 for it. No problems that I know of so far. They look really good in the pics.

And I would probably only be using mine a half dozen times a year anyway.

·
Riding daily
4,688 Posts

I have seen those on ebay and I have thought about them. It good hear that they're not to shabby.

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
If you guys want some demensions or pics of real life let me know, ill hook ya up. They are pretty decent for the cost....

·
Registered
389 Posts
Pics and additional info sounds good!

Some additional info and pictures would be great!!!

I'm liking some of these options as well as the $$$$. As noted by others I'm looking at using these a minimal number of times on an annual basis.

If you guys want some demensions or pics of real life let me know, ill hook ya up. They are pretty decent for the cost....

·
NXT Wax Inhaler
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Derag2-- Has either your stepdad or yourself had these on the bike during any inclement weather? Just curious if the raincover works. Also, hows the stitching and tie-down possibilities on these bags?

·
One of Four
1,231 Posts
My brother has the square pack part of the first bag combo. It's nice he found a cardboard box that fits inside perfect and makes it somewhat rigid. It does have a nice waterproof coating. It's big enough he can get his laptop in it and plenty of other stuff. It's about the size of a helmet box but taller.

BTW- The roll bag has a plastic deal that goes inside to help keep it rigid but when it's tied down and not full it does droop.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you are not too attached to leather I have the Dowco Rally pack. I love it. The top barrel bag has a waterproof liner too. I normally keep the larger back on my bike at all times, and use the barrel bag for overnights. Also it makes a great backrest when loaded if you put it on the back seat. Very easy to take on and off and will fit any bike.
Amazon.com: Dowco Rally Pack Luggage System #5003000: Automotive

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
Alright...
Demension of the main bag 18" wide, 16inches tall and 8.5" deep... The round bag is about 9inches in diameter and 15" long. The main bag has 3 outside pockets on it one on each end measuring 6.5"wide 9.5"tall and 2.5" depth. And one pocket on the front. 10" wide 8" tall and 2.5" depth. With the round bag on top of the main bag its 25inches tall.

here on some pics
http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x102/Derag2/leather bag/

·
President, L7 Club
462 Posts
I purchased the CSL2 Touring Pack from Cycle Sports Leather, here: Cycle Sports Leather - Leather Motorcycle Jackets

It's 3-tiered, but I've yet to have a need for the top tier since the rest holds so darn much! The price was good, the quality is excellent too. My only knick-picky thing about this particular Tour Pack is that the top tier doesn't open up very well at all. It's kind of just a "mouth" that you pry open and shove stuff into I guess. Maybe it's for dirty clothes or ??? Again, with all the space the rest of the unit affords me + the hardbags on the bike, I've yet to even need the top tier. but, if I had it to do over, I'd have gotten the CSL2002, which (in the picture) the top tier clearly open up fully and snaps down into place. For the extra $45, it's worth it, IMHO.

My $.02,
DS

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
Blooze..... No we havn't had it out in any kind of adverse weather. It did rain on us a little once while camping but we brought the bags inside with us. BUT with your question I decided to try somthing, I took the cover and put water on it and tied it up so the water stays in the cover. No water has seeped through yet, I swished it around shook it and nothing yet. I left it sitting in the bathroom with some water sitting in the cover to see if it will leak through. We usually don't bring the covers with us anyways,but they don't take up much room. These bags have plenty of room. I pack two peoples clothes in there for camping. between the bag and my saddles i easily fit clothes and extra sweatshirts and camping gear and tent,sleeping bags on my bike. I have yet to even use the barrel bag yet, havn't need the room.

If you guys want any specific pics or mearsurements or anything just let me know.

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
blooze your right that bag look identical to the bags. That looks exactly like my stepdads with the studs... except ours was half the price.... less than half accually.

I will agree that the top bag is not the best with its opening, but its still very usuable. My stepdad brings pillows for camping in his. One trip he put his leather jacket in there incase it got cold. Its still useable, I like the bag setup.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts