Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2007 vn900 classic on the road i always shift to the invisible sixed gear ! does anyone else do that ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the bike can really use the extra gear,,, harley-davidson added a sixth gear on the fatboy at least,,,i rode one last week for a coupla miles from the dealer they also added a nice fat 200 rear tire it really looks nice for 17,000.00

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Yep. About the best thing you can do to help that is install the front pulley from scootworks. I did. It helps, but I still look for 6th every once in a while.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
i have a 2007 vn900 classic on the road i always shift to the invisible sixed gear ! does anyone else do that ?
From what I read, the 900 engine is very happy at the rpm it runs in 5th at about 70mph, problem is most riders don't think it has a "natural" feel at those speeds. The Scootworks front pulley is the easy solution. When they get the rear pulley out, I'm sure that will work also. I find that after changing out the front pulley, I ride around town in 4th most of the time. On the highway at 70 the rpms are about 3500 to 3600. As a comparison the Road King runs about 3200 at 70 mph. For me spending $180 on the pulley, was much better than spending $20K or so to get that 6 th gear.:wink:

·
Every day is a good ride
1,895 Posts
I believe we all do it. for me it's just that I don't remember what gear I am in when cruising at 60+ and that's how I know.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
I did it all the time when I was riding our V-star 650 classic. Seemed like it needed a 6th gear when crusing at 70 mph. That was one reason I wanted a bigger bike. Think I will love my 1500 Vulcan, spring will be mighty welcome here in ND!! :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
only companies with any sense about gearing is victory and now harley. My nomad was good at 65-70, but after that i could have used a 6th gear to lower rpms and reduce fuel consumption. I find that on the v2k as well. would prefer lower rpms at 75. The beast has plenty of power and could easily have taller gearing.
It is helpful that someone is making aftermarket pulleys for the belt drives for that reason. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what about them pulleys does anyone have a web-site for them so i can look at them and possibly buy them?who makes them?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I keep wanting to shift into 7th on my EN500. The four gears was one of the biggest reasons I stayed away from the Shadow 650 and went with the Vulcan.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
It really messes with me when I switch bikes. The Monster will cruise highway speeds happily in 4th, higher RPMs for zip. 5th is about a perfect spot between power and lower RPM for gas mileage. 6th is lugging.

It REALLY makes me reach for another gear on the 900. Not saying it's wrong and the 900 isn't fine there, just makes me look for another one.

Oh and, not all of the Victories have a 6 speed. The two 8-ball bikes are 5 speed.

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
That's one reason the 900 is no longer on my list of potential purchases to replace my beloved Nomad.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you catfish

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I wonder who willbe the first metric company to release a 6th gear?

chris
I think it was Yamaha back 12 years ago or so. Can't remember exactly. The reviews of the HD 6th gear all say about the same thing, useless under 75 mph. If that is true, there aren't too many places it would come in handy - legally that is.;) I don't know about the Victory.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I reach for 6th all the time on my Suzuki C50. It feels like it needs another gear once you hit 70, but in reality, it cruises along nicely at that speed. What compounds it is when I get off the Vulcan 1500 and get on the C50. The Vulcan you don't need 5th gear till 60 or so and it revs so low at cruising speeds, so when you hear the C50 running at higher revs, you keep reaching for the extra gear.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I don't mind the high revving engine of my 900 between 75-80. I have thought about doing the scootworks pulley, but I don't think my 900's engine will explode while revving at 3500 or so in the highway. What I do know is that my 900 loves the highway (as always - it is all about personal preference and sound 'taste').

1 - 20 of 50 Posts