Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned that sleeping for 22hours straight will give me a headache. I also missed out on riding on a decent day. Closing curtains tight, having the AC turned down to 68F, and a quiet house...phones turned off and or vibrate (oops)...wasn't funny when my wife came home and woke me at 7:30PM and said dinner was served...

·
Registered
49 Posts
22 hours!!!!!!!!!!! whenever im tired and want to sleep all day I usually wake up around a certain time because I am use to waking up then :(

It must feel weird though for sleeping a whole day!!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sleeping

I have to much stress going on, I guess my body just said that I needed it...kinda a self preservation thing...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
STRESS

What I NEED...is a Kawasaki Ninja (anysize will do right now), a better back-brace, and an entire 3 days just to ride! Things will be the same when I get home, but at least I will have had 3 glorious days away from it all.

·
Registered
128 Posts
i'm planning a random 3 day dissappearance once i get new tires on my bike.... i need it too... any suggestions for a destination?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RNADOME

ABSOLUTELY~ IF/When I move to AZ (about 2 years from now, I want to get very familiar with clockwise and counter-clockwise (both directions) of a loop just east of Phoenix! I won' TELL you where to go, but...I want to see Apache Junction, Roosevelt...there are several longer paths to take that may be just as beautiful. I plan to move to Sierra Vista, AZ or someplace nearby. Bisbee is a great little town worth visiting...let's say unique...but I prefer the back woods roads and mountain roads. Now I find myself tyrin to get through the next two years with my wife going through a kidney surgery. Karens last kidney has lasted over 30 years and has now quit...completely and is in the dialysis stage on the way to getting her sisters kidney sometime in September, if we hold true to the Dr's schedule. Oh, but the future looks so much brighter AFTER the surgery... I guess that we have to stay put for the next two years...for medical issues...till then, I may just have to set aside and put things on hold...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: RNADOME

ZX-2R said:
I won' TELL you where to go, but...
Just today my ex was getting ready to take my son to the dentist, and she wasn't sure how to get there. She asked if I would tell her were to go, and I just couldn't resist the opportunity.
Curt

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HMM

I could tell you , but you probably wouldn't like it there??? Our Flagstaff person is just about a couple hours north of where I would call bike-highway-haven. MN is to far North for my fragile body. I worked in the cold (Computers in the Navy) for 14 years...then came home to KS and after 7 days without power (the house is ALL electric, except for an old woodstove in the baement for exactly this type of situation) winter before last, and then visiting Sierra Vista, AZ last year...I'm ready to move south. I just have to have a place cool (not cold), inside to work on my couple of small bikes..perhaps my own insulated garage...a batcave, or my own space. Don't need TV, just some background music bookshelves for magazines, my computer area, parts area, cleaning area, clean room for painting...etc...

·
Registered
128 Posts
i remember a couple years ago a friend and i wnt down to apache junction for a honda del sol meet, part of which was a cruise in the mountains near there.... and all i could think was how much fun the road would be on a bike. :lol:

there's also a nice loop that would take me up through southern utah, colorado, over the rockies twice, down into new mexico, and back home, all on 2 lane twisty roads. i was thinking of doing that. there's a lot more, but i'll find them as i go. i know all these roads exist, i've been on them (in an 18 wheeler :shock: ) but i don't remember how to get to them.... that's half the fun!

and zx-2r... i look forward to meeting you when you move out here ^.^

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mountain roads/Friends

I'm definately looking forward to AZ! There are a bunch of Forum members from the Phoenix, Mesa...area. I'm not sure thay would all enjoy meeting me or each other, but then again I'm not so sure that they wouldn't. My passion is life and enjoying it. When I was in the Navy it took me about 3 years to get out of the "Steamin'Seaman" drinking, getting drunk to realize that I wasn't seeing things any further than the inside of a bar room or whatever. I woke up and started getting away from the ports that we were visiting and would buy a bus ticket, train ticket, and get out of Sailor-town, and see the World. In Sydney, Australia I spent a day in a cab with a driver showing me all sort of places and things. It was cheaper than a tour, and I ate better than most tourists would have. I took a real Steam Train through the Blue Mountains out of Sydney and enjoyed the countryside and people that I met. Same thing even in Tiawan...everywhere that the ship went I finally realized what an opportunity I had. In SanDiego, Ca when we were in port, I went to AZ on weekends off to Morenci, Globe, AZ with shipboard buddies. I turned my life from a bottle in front of me to enjoying the world around me. I still drink a beer, some wine or what ever with meals, but never to the extent of getting drunk. I get more out of riding, loving life, ocassionally (on great mountain roads) dragging a peg every so often. Never going over the edge, just approaching it...always learning...early mornings before the roads heat up is a great time to just take in the scenery and get somewhat aquainted with the roads, eat a great breakfast, maybe stop for a lunch if I need a rest break...then call it an early evening to watch a sunset, find a place to eat, and chat with the locals. Don't get me wrong I do like some fast foods, but I'd much rather take in a resturaunt where I can meet people and learn things about them, their town, stuff...before retiring to get enough rest for the next very early morning to eat and watch a sunrise and go for that morning ride to find a road.....Yes, I love riding and meeting people. Life is to short to be angry, cross, or just set out and do nothing...getting inside a bottle, or drugs...things are for real in what little life we have...IF you don't like what you are doing, then make some little changes and just evaluate and look at the things that make you happy, get you excited in life...why not try to maintain those things if they don't cost anymore than what you know you are tired of doing? You can hate your job, love the money, and still enjoy the time away from your work. Eventually, hopefully later in your life you will get a better job, or end up doing the same thing in a different place...and still love life...Sorry that I'm RANTING&RAVING but that is one of the things that I do best. I have an education, I know how to write, but it's like that job that you may not love in life. I dislike a structure (maybe it was my entire career in the structured life living in the NAVY) like writing. IF I want to ride a certain road, or write my own way then that's what I WANT... I could go into why I like Kawasaki...but I'm sure that it would better be saved for a day when I'm feeling low about the weather, or I'm waiting for paint to dry...
Thank you, for your kind remarks about meeting me when I move out to AZ. As soon as my wife is stable after her kidney operation and dialysis and we are cleared to move (I hope that it is less than the 2 years the Dr. mentioned), I'm THERE! I may be so excited that I have to make several trips between there and here to get things and even the wife (Karen), but that only adds to my excitement....anticipation...!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RIDING!

there's also a nice loop that would take me up through southern utah, colorado, over the rockies twice, down into new mexico, and back home, all on 2 lane twisty roads.

YES!!! That's what I would call a Great Ride! Getting around on two lane roads and only seeing the interstate go over or under you...absolutely! People in a rush today, even using the cost of gas, and hotel rooms, as an issue...are missing out on the great old America that Chevrolet used to have a Jingle about...See the USA, in a Chevrolet... It sure is great to have all those people on the Interstates and using them. It makes the back roads so much nicer. Even the locals are happy to see you when you stop in their town. Colorado had a MAJOR fire two years ago, and We were detoured off of I-70. With a Windstar loaded with 3 people and way to much in clothing and pulling an empty 12' trailer up and down the back ways, I finally relaxed and enjoyed the water falls and switchback roads, trees...and the towns...we stopped in almost every one of them just to chat, or get something to eat. It was a blast! COming back on the Interstate, completely loaded, now, trailer definately not legal the roof was even packed to the limit, and the inside was repacked a couple of times...Even with a towing package we had to change the transmission fluid when we returned home. I'm sold on the two lane roads, the forgotten US Highways, and the people that are so friendly hopeing that you come back and spread the word that they are still there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
"get your kicks on route 66"

i agree with you, interstates are conveniant for getting from point a to point b quickly, but it's the side roads that are where it's at. interstates keep you going so fast, the landscape whips right by, and you don't have a chance to really stop and look.

i wish they didn't build i-40 over old route 66 here, or i'd be riding that every chance i got. there's a few parts that are still uncovered here, in town, but most of it outside of town is either buried under i-40, or is in such dis-repair it's unridable.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

66 is a fasinating story-as well as route 20 and 30 trans-continental hiway 8)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
US Highways

YES! Flying is faster if you just want to get somewhere nad have family/friends on the other side...sometimes though the journey IS the vacation...not just Point B on the map. I love San Diego, CA, and many places like it. Driving there allows you to see some of the roads if you take the back way, but the wife gets a LOT mad when I get excited in a switchback and can see the entire road and want to slide the Windstar around the corner. I always have new tires on before a major trip, and I have a supply of good tires in the barn that I have saved for the Rural and local city roads because of my obsession with having new rubber when go across country. Still having a motorcycle capable of making these roads is still in the works. I'd rather take my time about 4 days getting to San Diego, or Orange, CA (1600 miles) and Live Life, rather than flying or driving the Interstate systems. Finding an inexpensive hotel east of Phoenix and doing the mountain roads for days at a time just excites the heck out of me. Just like US-1 (Pacific Coast Highway) especially through Oregon.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
PCH

Heck, put several of you AZ guys in a truck and get on over there...You are missing a really scenic road where the speedlimit is only a number on a sign that seems to fast for you to assorb the entire road and see what there is to see. Heck you could spend time in SanDiego and not see all of it in a week. There are some serious beaches, beach parks, and some places like Old Town that you just have to see...Balboa Park, even the San Diego Zoo, Point Loma Lighthouse as you get past the National Cementary...where you overlook both the Pacific Ocean and the bay on the otherside...the gaslamp downtown, Spagettti Factory (Resturaunt), the coastal towns, where people are all dressed in all different things...after a while it swings inland and joins I-5 for a while, but then it's out there again...awesome sunsets...the cool ocean breeze, hot sand it's great. Going all the way up to Northern Oregon (Newport) for me but I have been on the coast line in Oregon and even in Washington...I miss mountains and winding roads. We have some US highways nearly forgtten out here, and several that have been moved several times like US169 just 3.5 miles east of me. There are 3 different highways nearly parallel and futrher to the south it's just country road with no USHighway signs...Anyway, the AZ highways are calling me...I want to see roads where you can't get past 35MPH or you are scrubbing pegs off and nearly ruining your knees out of yor levi's...perhaps so serious that I'll have to get leathers to do some serious riding...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hehe, I have one locally here that forces me to ride at least 35mph and I've touched pegs a few times as well. But I'm quite pleased with the scenery here for now. Just need to find more roads like this one :)

Somewhere there is another road sign that says "Mountain curves and inclines for the next 37 miles." Only bummer is that half of it is all gravel.

Ah well...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Next37 Miles

Awesome sounds like you might need a dualsport 250 for some serious riding. It may be a lot different than street but it too has some excitement packed in it when you find that road and follow it. With out going on that road untaken there are others, many others that you don't need a dualsport on... Awesome have fun, and be careful....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts