Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright hope this work it's my first time posting pics om here.

Basically what you get to see is my big butt bent over tearin a kz650 apart to refurbish the thing. With fingers crossed back together and running better than ever! I had some help from my air force buddies!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright some more pics of the tear down...

Any ideas on how to rebuild the wiring harness I've checked out KZ650.info they had diagrams that make no sense to me. Anyone wanna build me one for less than a hundred buck?

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've got a project 650 I'm starting.
The harness that came with it doesn't look too good either, so I bought a second one off ebay.
I'll use the best one, and repair any wires using the wire and connectors from the other.
I have a running 650 where I used parts of another harness I had at the time to add the "WG Coil Mod" and an electronic ignition from an '80s 650.
Everything is plug and ride, and can be switched back to points by just unplugging etc.
Having the right colour wires and right size connectors as spares sure comes in handy.
Just disconnect the battery while doing any electrical work so you don't short anything out and fry something.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Sgt. Sleepy, your 1978 P.O.S. KZ650C doesn't actually look that bad.

Here's what I'm starting with:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sgt. Sleepy:

It looks like you've got a great starting point. Unless really messed up, make proper solder splices with shrink tube sleeves, then lay it out and spay with some silicone protectant and work everything over wire by wire with a tooth brush. This cleans and restores some flexibility. But if insulation is cracking off when the wire is flexed, then it is beyond hope.

For the technocrats, fine strand multistrand wires flex easier and don't break with repeated flexing like a one strand thick wire of the same gauge. Why is this? What's the theory.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wiring harness

WOW thanks everyone, I didn't think I'd get so many responses so fast. I'll look on ebay definitely . Once again thanks for all the advice. I have an update... I found out that another co worker has actually done a complete refurb on these types of bikes. We're taken the motor to his place and gonna crack it open and get to work. Hopefully all goes well and my bike is up and running by February!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey thanks for looking out! HUA!

I have an UPDATE! I scrubbed the frame and repainted it, with semi gloss (looks great)
Been tinkering on the carb and the pilot screws? are all stripped. How do I get them out and replace them?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Been tinkering on the carb and the pilot screws? are all stripped. How do I get them out and replace them?
two choices: counterclockwise drill bits and a very VERY careful, steady hand, or you can send them out to have a shop do it.

I went with the second option my KZ1000E, after taking them apart to try it myself and realizing more than just the air screws were destroyed by the PO.
I had to get a new set of carbs. Luckily, redlinecycle.com had one that fit.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
Hey thanks for looking out! HUA!

I have an UPDATE! I scrubbed the frame and repainted it, with semi gloss (looks great)
Ive used a pair of hemostats ground down to fit inside the orifice and grasp the head of the screw once theyve been drilled with a left twist drill bit (3/32) and an extractor to back them out. You can also try using a sharpened screw driver (slightly smaller than the screw head diameter) and tap it into the (brass) screw head (cutting) a slot in which to back the screw out. Do not drill beyond 3/8" in depth so you dont get into the existing threads or taper in the screw orifice itself. Some air/fuel mixture screws use o-rings that invariably hang up in the opening, Thats where a pair of sharp slender tweezers come in handy. Im glad to see your restoring the bike and not chopping it Sargent, and I commend you for your service! I must also commend you on your shop lay-out, Corona,computers,tools and a bike, the only thing missing is the 25yr old hardbody assistant!:lol: Good Luck! PS I like that jumpsuit! The F-16 is my favorite single engine bad boy in the skies!

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
These are very useful tools available through Sears:

Craftsman Vacuum Pump/Brake Bleed Automotive Kit
# 20930

Craftsman Auto-Ranging Multimeter
# 82139

Craftsman Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer
# 50466

Craftsman Cord Reel Work Light
# 73944