Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will, I've been bored alot this week due to rain almost everyday and been trying to figure out away to change the appearance of the tail on my bike. Make it a little slimmer looking and a little more modern. Heard somewhere of people using other bikes fairings, but really leaning toward trying to fabricate my own with fiberglass. Any suggestions? or ideas will be greatly appreciated and pondered over :idea:

This is what I have:

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Something like this is what I'm thinking about:

·
Registered
456 Posts
If you want slim, the first thing that comes to my mind is to get rid of those rear turn signals. It looks like that's a Ninja 250. If it is, there are two empty red pods beside your brake light. You can put your turn signals in there. Then you can make a license plate bracket and chop up your rear fender.
Curt

·
Registered
191 Posts
you could try to make your own if you have any fiberglass experience. I tried to mold one off an old tail section i had for a 750 turbo instead of using a plug. I was looking to get a solo tail. it turned out alright but needs a lot of bondoglass to be nice which would make it super heavy. What you need to do is make a positive mold of what you want out of foam or something. then you need to coat it and make a plug(negative mold) using clay or something similar. clay works good because its easy to mold and once it hardens it takes well to a releasing agent. then using that negative you lay fiberglass or carbon fiber, best bet is to get preempregnated cloth, it helps out cause using alot of resin gets messy. it takes alot of work and practice but you will definately have one of a kind. Most of the big companys use a vacuum setup where the have a bag that seals and you suck the air out to pressure fit your cloth to your mold. comes out a lot nicer for stuff like carbon fiber where you dont really want to paint it.
here was one of the stages of my first solo tail
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/maperez/GPz/tailsection.JPG
that one got changed a bit and actually did away with the side panels and the tail section went up to the tank. im not using it though, ive chopped up a triumph tail section and im gonna make a mold using parts of it so i can use a daytona seat and seat cowl.

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts