Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. I am looking into buying a bike (my first). The only problem is that "the clutch slips in 2nd gear." It does not slip at any other gear. Now, i don't know if that means that the clutch slips when shifing to 2nd or while it's already in 2nd.

My question is the following: is it possible that this is due to bad cable adjustment or will i probably have to replace the whole clutch assembly?

Thanks for your help.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
so it slips when you give it gas in second ? it MAY be a bad adjustment but thats easy to check. the lever should have an 1/8" or so of slack at the lever/perch. sounds like its toast to me though.
good luck

·
Registered
459 Posts
Has the bike had only bike-specific oil in the crankcase? If it has not, some automotive oils have friction modifiers that will cause the clutch to slip. But it would slip in all gears as a rule.

Is the cable sticking? Maybe a little lube & clean will be in order.

If an adjustment won't take care of the problem, get a quality new clutch. It will be less likely to give you a problem down the road.
Ride safely

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. The clutch only slips in 2nd gear. That is all i know for now. I still haven't seen the bike in person so I can't say much more. I changed my car's clutch this summer and it sucked. If it can be done in less than 5 hours on the bike, i'm willing to give it a try. Otherwise, i'll just keep looking.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Changing the clutch on a bike is nothing like on a car. The bike is like a toy compared to a car. If the bike is in good condition aside from needing a clutch, than I suggest the purchase if you can get it for a good price. It may take you just as long because you've never done one before but its not a big job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not clutch

Very unlikely that the clutch slips only in 2nd. Would normally be that the higher the gear, the more slippage there would be. More likely not the clutch slipping, but a transmission problem - that could get complicated and expensive.

·
Registered
213 Posts
wiseguy said:
Very unlikely that the clutch slips only in 2nd. Would normally be that the higher the gear, the more slippage there would be. More likely not the clutch slipping, but a transmission problem - that could get complicated and expensive.

+1 What bike is it? It could very well be an internal transmission problem, $$$$.

·
Registered
237 Posts
yeah, if the clutch is toast its not a problem, inexpensive to fix but you would feel it slip in every gear, or it just wouldnt pull at all. if its only in second gear make sure that the trans isnt popping out gear, because transes can get ugly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts