Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a question considering i've never experienced this at all.

yesterday and today, everytime i use my rear brake, i feel the rear sliding around, even got it sideways at 25mph. I thought it may be something the tire had picked up, but i've put over 50 miles of riding and it still does. Figured the miles would have gotten anything that was picked up off the tire.

I feel that i'm using the same level of braking force on the brake lever (rear) but the bike gets squiggly.

The only variable is that it has been fairly chilly (55-59) degrees in the morning but it's been 75 in the evening. Happens all the time.

So either the tires are going (3000 miles on bike and tires) or the braking force has increased by itself (which makes no sense to me) unless it has a self adjusting brake cable (something similar to some cars).

Suresh
 

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
Joined
·
5,201 Posts
HAVE YOU CHECKED THE AIR PRESSURE ?????? :?: sounds like low tire pressure to me. how many miles on the tires ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,245 Posts
an consistently lock up the rear on my 500R, I usually only barely drag the rear brake if I use it at all. If I am aggressively riding I don't use it at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
117 Posts
Sounds like your using your back brake too much. Do you feel your using the back brake more then the front? I always felt a 75/25 ratio front to back works good. Remember when you brake, most weight shifts to the front of the bike leaving less weight on the back tire....but you knew that right? :wink:
 

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
Joined
·
5,201 Posts
Freakinout said:
an consistently lock up the rear on my 500R, I usually only barely drag the rear brake if I use it at all. If I am aggressively riding I don't use it at all.
if your constantly locking the rear then you need to work on that big time. that will get you killed/hurt. do you practice emergency stops ? if not you better start now cause it will save your life.
also you can adjust the pedal so that you dont put so much pressure on it with slight movements of your foot. look in your manual for how to adjust it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,245 Posts
QKENUF4U said:
Freakinout said:
an consistently lock up the rear on my 500R, I usually only barely drag the rear brake if I use it at all. If I am aggressively riding I don't use it at all.
if your constantly locking the rear then you need to work on that big time. that will get you killed/hurt. do you practice emergency stops ? if not you better start now cause it will save your life.
also you can adjust the pedal so that you dont put so much pressure on it with slight movements of your foot. look in your manual for how to adjust it.
I can stop as long as I'm coming to a complete stop, if I'm just slowing for a curve I don't use the rear brake.

I learned this from Keith Code.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
380 Posts
Hm... the only thing I use my rear brake for is holding my bike still at a stoplight or stop sign. I got tired of skidding the rear tire on random spots here and there on the road that had less traction.

I haven't noticed any difference in stopping power, but that's just my experience...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,803 Posts
You could also be putting more breaking power into your front break. The more you break witht he front the more you lean forward. The more you lean forward the less you can use the rear break.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you guys for the suggestions.

QKENUF4U said:
HAVE YOU CHECKED THE AIR PRESSURE ?????? :?: sounds like low tire pressure to me. how many miles on the tires ?
3k miles

I did check the tire pressure too. It's at 36psi. I never used to lock the rear tires so easily.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

After thinking about it a lot, i think i have somewhat of a logical answer. I was helping my friend brake bleed his car (getting it ready for the track) and was pumping the brake pedal about 300 times with my right foot. And let me tell you brembos are hard to pump. I want to chalk it up to that.

I did notice i did less slipping this morning into work though.
Suresh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,245 Posts
TrashMonkey said:
when I took the MSF course, they said always brake with "both" front and rear brakes. That only around 70% stopping power comes from the front brake.
When coming to a complete stop you always want to use both brakes. Its just when you aren't coming to a complete stop (ie slowing for a corner) locking the back tire can cause you to lose it.
 

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
Joined
·
5,201 Posts
TrashMonkey said:
Freakinout said:
TrashMonkey said:
I use more front in corners, but try to slow enough before the corner to be able to throttle out of it.
youre asking for some serious hurt using the FRONT brake in the corner. dont ever touch your front in the corner. thats why theres a thing called trail braking. in all reality you should be DONE braking before you ever enter the corner :!:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
QKENUF4U said:
TrashMonkey said:
Freakinout said:
TrashMonkey said:
I use more front in corners, but try to slow enough before the corner to be able to throttle out of it.
youre asking for some serious hurt using the FRONT brake in the corner. dont ever touch your front in the corner. thats why theres a thing called trail braking. in all reality you should be DONE braking before you ever enter the corner :!:
The only time that you should use your front brake in the corner is for an emergency stop and your bike better be upright and straight or you will highside! MSF practice baby!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,159 Posts
Serious

Seriously check the rear tire pressure COLD, and you might want to soften the rear suspension some...straight line braking use the front, cornering hard use the brakes before the corner but the fornt and rear in combination esp a little...little rear will help set the chassis for the roll on of the throttle...you don't want to be "Bronk riding" the bike into, around or out of corners...The rear brake is good t stop the front end from lifting to far off the ground when you are really pouring on the throttle to get the bike screamin gout of a corner or to settle it down as you are comin g out of a corner and the front end wants to get off of the ground...usually you can just hold the throttle momentarily and the front end will touch back down...then you can roll on more throttle...WORST case scenario...change the rear tire...you could have a tire that just has given up the grip...tires are cheaper than bike parts and riding gear, and even hospital visits...get some that you can "risk" your life on...brakes are important, but tires have to work or your brakes are worthless. TIRES are the key to contact...the little postage stamp footprints that you rely on to do ALL the work...buy the best that you can aford...buy some worth your life, in mind...it may be all that save it!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top