Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another freakin problem, my bike wants to slowly stall out when sitting at a stop after I have been running hard or at cruise. If I blip the throttle slightly it will continue to run and idle normal. Does not matter if engine temp is cold or hot. It pulls hard through all gears and all rpm testing, no flat spots at all. I have changed to larger main jet, new needles, larger pilot jet. Mixture screws are at 2 and 1/4 float height is 15mm. I'm thinking mixture to lean? Or float level low? One other thing I have noticed since new jet kit, my choke/fuel enricher circuit, does not have the same high idle that it use to have for my morning startup . Could their be any related problem?
All advice is welcome. I should be out riding!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TRY SOMETHING

Try backing out your mixture screws another 1/8 or 1/4 turn to make it richer. Also check your plugs to see if it is running light brown like it should be..to dark to rich, lighter than brown to lean...if you can't tell clean them and regap them and go fo r another ride...also check with some spray water spray the carb rubbers and see if the idle increases---meaning it's sucking air and you need to tighten it up...seal it better. Whatever it is let us know!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stall on Decel

Persistance always pays off. I took the time too build a test bench for the carb's, this way I could be certain off the float level, (wet) found that all levels were within .5 mm of spec. Then I pulled the plugs, they will always tell you what's going on inside the engine. Sure enough fouled! After only a couple of rides my new plugs were as black as aces.... Time to think out of the box. The new "pilot jets were screwing me up, I had to lean out the mixture screws to 1 and 1/2 turns, suddlenly my cold start with no high idle is now working and the bike does not stall at stop lights. If I had not kept telling myself "this is all in the name of performance" I was almost going to put everything back to stock settings and say to hell with it!! Tuning carbs is part science and part wizardry.
Thanks for all who tried to help... Jim is back on the road again. Time to chase "The Tail of the Dragon"

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
READ THEM PLUGS!

Happy to hear that you fixed the problem, AND got back to us on the FORUM with the answer. With all that seems to happen with these 250 motors, I'm seriusly thiking of running a Cylinder Head Temperature CHT intrument on my bike. In Karting and with a 2 stroke Yamaha you could dial in your bike to the exact setting that you wanted. For barometric pressure, differences in fuel, oil, clutch settings, short-long track...once you have the bike broke in it should remain relativly close close, even when making some major adjustments..to dial it back into order. In our case the CHT would have read to cool and you would have known that it was running rich...Perhaps just having one on the bench would work, and only install it for changes till it is dialed in...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts