Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted and finally managed to put on my Stebel Nautilus horn this weekend. But ran into a few problems. And my frustration revolves around several of the smaller screw, bolt , insert parts on the bike and their quality.

I took off the seat to attach the Stebel Plug N Play wiring harness to the battery. Well, I dropped the screw from the battery and my magnetic retriever could not reach the darn thing. So, I needed to take the battery out to get to it. I fitted a largish philips head to the battery harness screw and the thing wouldn't move. So I applied slightly more force, and the screw slots started to give way before the screw would. I had to eventually apply a lot of force but the screw head shredded pretty quickly and easily.... I tried deeper philips head drivers, and even wider philips head drivers (to now fit the widened and skewed slots) and the screw head just kept shredding. I even then resorted to trying std. screwdrivers with flat blades into the now huge "slots" to no avail. I eventually had to resort to a screw extractor to get the **** thing out!!!! It was in there so tight...... even the screw extractor had trouble wit hit-- but some of that probably came from the force of the battery holder bracket pressing against it too--- but the screw was not made to hold up to ANY stress whatsoever. I put in a bolt of similar size that I had laying around to that I could secure the battery back down, at least now I can get a wrench on it.. .. but need the replacement battery bracket screw, now. I see the battery bracket out in the parts listing but not the screw separately.....

To thread the Stebel wiring harness, I loosened the back gas tank bolt. To get to the front one, I removed the speedometer cowl and then had to unscrew and unclamp the black shroud from around the front of the tank. I got to the front gas tank bolt and loosened the tank so that I could send the harness through. But those 3 screw "inserts" from the black shroud around the tank look like ONE TIME USE deals. The inserts that hold that shroud in are almost impossible to get back in. I attached them as best as I could, but could probably use 3 new ones! And if you could explain how to re-attach those plastic black U clamps up around the shroud by the frame (location? holding what? clamped to what?) I see these as #92039 (if that's right) and they look inexpensive enough.

I took off the right side horn from its mounting bracket and extender and then tried to attach a hardware store L bracket back into the main horn mount (foregoing the 2" extender). {This may be partially my fault in not getting it threaded straight...} but I had that bolt/screw started several times and it just wouldn't thread/keep going in. Or when I thought it was going in, it would pop back out. I check the screw and it is stripped (and **** easily too). And in the process the "nut" that is in that black bracket appears to be stripped too (also way too easily). So I would need the replacement screw for the main horn mount....and then the bracket..... but I only see the WHOLE horn assembly listed in the parts fiche- not just the bracket!

Do you guys see these issues with the 08 Vulcan 1500? Parts being cranked down and then being destroyed with the force to remove them? Screws stripping really easily (great quality aluminum!), and one time use inserts that are toast after removing them.....

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
No, we have not seen a common problem with these. Although with all small hardware they aren't going to withstand larger amounts of stress then they are intended. Whether they were tightened to tight before, or have developed some rust I don't know? If you would like some prices, or have any other questions feel free to give us a call at 1-800-556-3098. Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO rust. The bike is a year old and gets garaged. And if the screw to the battery bracket is seeing enough water to rust- I would have probably bigger issues. The battery bracket would have had to be tightened "too tight" at the factory or during assembly at the dealer here in IN. The inserts are plastic. The horn bracket issue was with the screw not wanting to thread (no matter how straight I had it) and stripping easily.

I found the part # for the inserts, so I could order those online. What is the part # for the battery bracket screw (not the whole bracket)... or is there a bolt with a head, not a screw, that would fit this- part #? Can I get the horn bracket without the 2 horns and extenders (<$$), just the bolts????? Part#?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts