Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Turn It Around
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike: 1981 Kawasaki KZ440 A2?

anyway - I am having some trouble, this bike is a pain in the *** but I just love the drivability when it actually runs right =)

anyway here is whats up now and if anyone can help me i'll give you a case of beer.

bike runs - turns over and starts on first push usually - when cold choked and when warm not choked.

when i start the bike choked - the idle is at like 4000RPM is this normal? It seems a bit high even when choked and gets me a bit nervous.

when turning the choke off - the bike struggles to stay alive - bouncing around from under to about 1000RPMS. This normally will work itself out, or I can feather the throttle to get a good manageable idle.

When fully warm with choke off I'll ride the bike and it'll be very jerky like if i'm not turning the throttle the rpms jump up and back down giving me a nice little kick in the pants.

and popping. upon acceleration there is a few pops as well as during deceleration. just seems like there is a lot of popping going on.

i think - I THINK this is an air leak - somewhere on the carbs, either the carb holders or the diaphram?

I'm a total TOTAL newb when it comes to motorcycles.

also say i wind it out in first, shift to second, when i pull the clutch the rpms swing to 4000-5000 and hang there.

the other problem i am having is smoke - **** thing smokes like a chain smoker, after a small little run down the street i'll park and there will be smoke POURING from it looks like under the bike, and out of the exhaust, this will go on for a few minutes with the bike off.

oh and it seems like the carb is leaking a small amount of gas (a drop or two) out of the idle adjustment knob? :icon_frow :confused:

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I'd say for not knowing about bikes, you did a good job of diagnosing the problem. I suspect you have an air leak also. Not a problem with the diaphragm as that could give different problems. Is the airbox installed? Check to make sure the filter is seated in the box correctly. It may seem minor but someone that knows the 440 very well has reported it will have all sorts of running issues if the filter is not seated in the box correctly. Have you tried to find the air leak by spraying WD40/carb cleaner/starting fluid around the boots and carbs while it idles?

The idle knob doesn't have any fuel associated with it to have a leak so you will need to inspect closer to see where the drip is coming from. You might have to remove the tank and attach an alternate fuel supply so you can get a better look to find the leak.

Sounds like you have an oil leak that is dripping on the exhaust. Wash the front and underside of the engine good and then run the bike and look for the oil leak when you shut it off. If smoke is coming from inside the exhaust pipes then you have problems with the engine that will need to be looked at.

·
Turn It Around
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey.. Thanks, I am definitely learning as I go, and as I learn to ride...
When I shut off the bike, it'll smoke out of the tailpipe/muffler for sometime, I suspect as well I am having an engine issue. I'd to be able to tear it down and work on it myself - or purchase a used KZ440 engine.

Air box is on bike as well as the air filter - as with most 440's I've been around/seen it has broken, but I made a quick fix using some duct tape holds like a *******. Also, it is seated correctly - so it can't be moved up or down, and the air filter is seated correctly. I sprayed WD40 over the entire carbs and saw no change.

I wonder if a KZ1000 engine will fit- I'm sure not - but that'd be fun.

There has to be an oil leak - i stupidly put too much oil in, and I think it just kinda, forced it's way out.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
There has to be an oil leak - i stupidly put too much oil in, and I think it just kinda, forced it's way out.
That would explain a lot of the oil leak and smoke. When you try the spray, concentrate your efforts around the rubber intake manifolds that the carbs mount it. Try to spray them from every angle on both sides of each one. Mine developed cracks where the rubber mates to the engine and couldn't be seen until I removed the manifolds and looked at that area. If you can't replace them with new ones, you could try removing them and using something like Permatex gasket RTV and smear a light coat on the flat mating surface. Don't use too much or it will squeeze out and could get sucked into the engine.

·
Turn It Around
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) well i am gonna tackle both of those issues tonight hopefully.

thanks for the input!

be safe...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts